I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How about a little compassion
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about a little compassion  (Read 2932 times)
keefer51

« on: May 16, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »

I just have to rant a little about my day at dialysis. It started out ok. Both needles went in with ease. When i got to my last hour i could feel myself starting to crash. I pushed myself back so i was laying down in the chair. Unfortunately two of the nurses were discussing dinner plans and all the techs were changing over to the third shift. So one of them see my eyes and rolls hers and says; "Whats wrong now?" She goes to the machine and gives me 100cc of saline. Well this new tech who likes to quote the dialysis book by heart starts to take my needles out. By the time she gets the tape off the first needle i can tell she is scared. the night before she got the one needle stuck under the other and kept pulling. Well she does it again! This time i put my hand on her and called for another tech. So i am holding both of my sites and looking around for someone to tape me off. They were all busy setting up so i tape my self up. I grab my bag and walk to the scale. Thats the last thing i remember. I fell to the floor and crashed. The next thing i know i am by the scale and laying down in a chair. The nurse that took care of me asked what happened. I told her when they change over they want you out the door. She the told me she would have to stick me again!! For some reason this hurt allot. She gave me 200cc of saline and i started to feel better. Couldn't get my b.p. over 93. But i left and i don't think they ever knew i was gone. Moral of the story; When they call me to come in early shift just say no!!!

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »

That sounds like a seriously bad situation-Can you go somewhere else? (did you answer that in another thread? sorry if you did-...)

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, geesh  :thumbdown;
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:27:25 AM »

That was horrible!  And so unfair! I am in a fighting mood now! :boxing;   They seem to forget sometimes that they are there because of us patients and that when they are there we should be their prime concern!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:41 PM »

Now the Big Stick is out. Do you want me to express mail it to you?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
keefer51

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 06:49:32 AM »

I knew i could find compassion with my ihd family. Today is friday. It's a dialysis day. As i sit and wait to go in i weigh what would be better for me. i live only 5 miles from my center. or i could find another one that is further. Out of three years i have noticed allot of changes at my center. I don't want to sit around and wait and feel aprehensive about going. I must tell you though i felt so much better to be able to vent. Since i came here i have learned so much. i now see so many things more clearer. i don't understand why there is such a lack of compassion with the people whose life we have left in their hands.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 06:50:53 AM »

Sorry to hear about your horrible experience... its just not fair how some of us get treated by some "so called" carers.
kianhu

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 11:17:22 PM »

Sounds like you were a little neglected, I hope it is not like that everyday. 

Kimberly
luckaholic

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 05:01:58 AM »

If you were starting to crash whilst on the machine they should of given you at least 200ml saline then checked BP before taking you off. That is negligent in my opinion.
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »

So sorry to hear this.  Your clinic's staff made several mistakes, among them, not making sure that you were asymptomatic and had a good standing BP before leaving (usually 100 or more systolic).  In fact, they shouldn't even pull the needles before taking a standing BP, although this is commonly done.

Wishing you the best,

DeLana
Earlinda

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »

This is so very wrong!!  I am afraid it happens more often than most of us would like to admit.  I often wish that the people responsible for our care would be more compassionate.

Earlinda
pierrat

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »

That sucks, what a horrible experience. I know generally speaking you will have better treatment with your normal techs/nurses but the level of professionalism should still remain high even with another crew. I'm fortunate in that my clinic has the same crew working the same days and hours as me. Meaning, they work from 3am to 7pm "yes a long day" on mon/wed/fri so its almost always the same faces. We may get an occasional temp but generally speaking the quality doesnt fall off that much.
Hopefully it wont happen again if you stick to your regular schedule and technicians.
tweetykiss

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »

I know this is an older post but this is very unfair....they did not show professionalism and those peeps should not talk of their personal lives in front of their patients...that is so rude and beliigerent.....

I hope you are now getting treated better over there....

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »