I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Life is fragile
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life is fragile  (Read 9275 times)
tweetykiss

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »

Keefer,

Is it really true that the patients who go on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday don't live very long?  How does that shift cause a shorter lifespan?  What is Gentamicician and why did they want to give you Thorazine?  I thought that drug is no longer used.

BDpoe,

That is not right that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place and the patients who are unhappy should complain since nursing is about servicing people and not being sadistic......and certainly not about leaving patients to die.......

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
keefer51

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »

Tweety, The Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday shift is for people that need more attention. They  usually need help walking and are vocal about how they feel. There was this man who was on my shift. He was new and was around 70 years old. i watched as his wife brought him in a wheel chair. He needed help getting into the chair. For what ever the reason they [the  staff] didn't believe he needed help and would always tell him to try and walk. The poor guy couldn't. He became angry when they did this. After a couple weeks he went on the other shift. He died in a couple more weeks. The M,W,F shift is more for people that work and are able to walk them selves in. The T,T,S shift is more for people who need more attention. In the three years i have been there i have seen people change shifts. There are many people on each shift that are mobile. They just like to run things that way. When we sit for four hours some of us see things that i am sure will be questioned. On my shift i am friends with a man who is 92. He has been on dialysis for 2 years. He drives himself in and is still married. I tell you the hardest thing for me is seeing him one day and another day he will be gone. You see it's not the shift that causes a shorter life span. It's just that they figure out that allot of the elderly or very ill patients go on one shift. Gentamicican and Vancomicican are a very strong antibiotic that is given through the catheter after dialysis if you have a infection with the catheter. They are very afraid of sepsis. It's a nasty infection that can get in your heart. The infusion of these drugs is very important. When done wrong they can cause the deterioration of something in the inner ear. It throws your equilibrium off. After reading my thread i noticed i jumped a bit sorry. When i was getting my transplant they wanted to see how my heart was so they wanted to insert a wire through my groin and put dye in my heart. So i said fine just put me out. They wanted to without anything but a local. I protested and they considered me "non-compliant.' some nut job considered me crazy and instructed the nurse to give Thorazine. I called my doctor and he told them no. I went down the next day got the test and don't remember anything. The transplant was in 93 that was when he wanted to give me Thorazine. I was telling two stories from two different times I'm sorry. I have become more compliant. I think i just gave in. When you are there for awhile you start to see how things are run. Danally, there are a few center that are farther from where i live. This center is only 5 miles away. I am by my self so the short ride is nice. When i leave dialysis and start to "crash" i can always pull over and wait. It's a better neighborhood. LightLizard, I think that is what this site is for. Isn't it?

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 08:25:47 PM »

fragile, precious or not, no amount of bitching and moaning and feeling sorry for yourself is going to make anything better, that's for sure.
;)

but it does feel nice to bitch and moan sometimes  ;) then you get back to living it

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 08:52:31 PM »

I think life is fragile, but human beings can withstand a lot of cr*p thrown our way.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
George Jung

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »

but it does feel nice to bitch and moan sometimes ;) then you get back to living it

Not only does it feel nice, it is necessary.  Sometimes it can be discouraging to read what everyone has to say but I think we have to realize the importance of it and we have to try and understand that because one lets loose here doesn't necessarily make it bitching and moaning.  I don't see repetitive, out of controll rants, and members harping on their troubles, I see a community with many things in common who use each other for a common goal.  I personally sometimes misunderstand some post here at IHD and want to react.  Many times I will read a post and before replying I leave it alone for awhile, go back to it and read it again.  Often my perspective will change, even if ever so slightly, and that can make a big difference in how I respond.  Many, many times I choose not to respond at all.  I have days that I just don't want to deal with the "downs" that go along with life if I don't have to so I will stay out of certain boards.  Every now and then a member will post in the off topic and mention dialysis and I feel like I am the first one to request the thread be moved.  I want to protect that place just as Epoman had intended for it to be.
George Jung

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »

What is fragile? Your definition.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »

Fragile- means life can end at a moment's notice. One minute you are here breathing oxygen and the next you are talking to the angels at heaven's gate.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 12:48:51 AM »

Fragile- means life can end at a moment's notice. One minute you are here breathing oxygen and the next you are talking to the angels at heaven's gate.

If your LUCKY your talking to the angels at heaven's gate ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »

yeah- I might be making wood burning art with the other Guy   >:D  ( if I believed in such things!!!)

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
bdpoe

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »

When I was young I thought I was pretty much indestructable mentally and physically.
Now after 6 years of ESRD in both ways I am increasingly FRAGILE.

Surprise there is not the adequate health care and protection you once thought existed
for those in desperate straights.
In so may ways it seems like a big "put on."
.....bd
st789

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »

From my experience from dialysis, I was admitted into the hospital several times unexpected and the longer I am on dialysis, the more frail and fatigue I felt. 

Thus, I feel this way.
keefer51

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 09:29:50 AM »

Frail and fatigued are the right words to say. I feel that way the longer i am on dialysis. I am afraid of broken bones and a broken spirit.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »