I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about catheter removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about catheter removal  (Read 4226 times)
knmiller

« on: November 30, 2006, 09:39:11 AM »

Hello everyone,

I'm scheduled to have my catheter out next week, but have been given vague answers on how the thing is removed.  Do they just give you a local numbing agent or do they give you something to make you a little out-of-it?

If they provide a local numbing agent, can you feel the catheter being removed?  From what I understand, it's down there aways, so the thought of being able to feel it being removed makes me a little nervous...

Can anyone give me a better description of what to expect, so I'm not as concerned next week?

Thanks!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »

I am assuming your talking about a cath in your chest for hemo, correct? If so, everytime I have had one removed, I have been awake.. no numbing agent or anything. It don't hurt, they cut the stitches and pull it out, it feels funny, but no pain. That's my experience with it anyways.. I have had over 5 removed this way, the rest were removed while I was knocked out for a surgery to either get another access put in or cath put in.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
knmiller

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

Yep, you are correct.  It's in my chest.  Thanks for the info...I was concerned that there would be some pain associated with it, so that makes me feel a little more at ease.

Nan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:09:18 PM »

Dear Knmiller,
In the past six months I have had three chest catheters fall out on me...absolutely NO pain involved...bleeding, which they will be able to control....NO worry...my dear...easy as pie!

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
knmiller

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »

Thanks for the info Nan...I appreciate your help
Fighter

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »

The day my catheter was removed was one of the best in my life, without any form of exaggeration. The catheter was in my neck and I had it for two months. It was driving me CRAZY. I felt suddenly free and not so abnormal anymore the minute they took it out. I wonder if I'll feel this liberated once I get my transplant (if it ever happens!). I doubt actually, which may sound weird but dialysis doesn't stop me from enjoying life, the catheter did. I was a mere shadow of myself these two months. Be happy they're removing it, it will make a big difference in your quality of life.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »

By the time you have taken a deep breath and opened your eyes the catheter will be out.  easy as pie.  The stitches being pulled will be the only hurt and that is easy.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:15 PM »

The only pain i remember is the shots of lidocaine they gave me before they took it out,  but that only lasted about 2 seconds, not toooo bad  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:29:56 PM »

Well, I had mine OUT today!   :clap;

Sorry everybody but I'm a WIMP and insisted on being put completely out.  I do not, repeat, do not want to see any tube coming out of my chest with blood on it.....or hearing the words "oops".  Not gonna happen!

So, I had a big day.  Check in at 6:30 and surgery at 8:30.......done by 9:00!!  Oh well,  I've been localized twice where there were "unforeseen" incidents.  There was NO way I was going through another one of those.

Again.....I'm a wimp, wossie, whatever.  I'm sure you will be fine.

My Catheter is OUT!  YES!

Fox_nc

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 08:34:23 PM »

Congrats Rerun!  I know that must feel gooooood!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »

Rerun is a wimp!   >:D Oh well, I am glad it is out!  You will feel so much better.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »

Way to go ReRun!  :2thumbsup;

My catheter has fallen out of my chest once... I was getting dressed, so when I took off my pajama shirt and went to put on my t-shirt, I was like, wait a minute, i felt something wierd in my pajama shirt, so I looked, and it was my catheter...  :lol; I didn't even feel it come out, it wasn't even bleeding, but I grabbed some gauze right away anyways and put it over the open hole with pressure, called my doctor and told them what happened, they said keep putting pressure on it and go to the ER so they can get me in and get a new one put in. I go to the ER explained why I was there, I get all these weird looks from the triage nurses and registration nurses and they "wanna see" under the gauze because they never seen this before, and I handed them my catheter that fell out too, they looked shocked, lol... they took me back right away and the dr came in and looked and said "Did you pull it out??" I was like, yah, I like to come to the ER for fun so I decided to pull it out so I could get a new one in...  ::) I was like, NO, It fell out.. So they scheduled me fore surgery right away, and within a few hours I was knocked out and getting a new one in, this time they stitched it up and told my nurses they are not allowed to take my stitches out.

The point of the story being, it shouldn't hurt to get your cath taken out.  :clap;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
knmiller

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 10:55:04 AM »

Cool beans...Thanks everyone.  :)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »

Hi KnMiller,

I had mine taken out this very evening.  There was no pain, only the injection of anaesthetic.  What the others haven't told you is you can feel the surgeon/Doc tugging pullling and cutting things out.  You DO NOT feel any  pain though.

You feel a stinging sensation afterwards but that is cos your flesh is stitched up and the anaesthetic has worn off.  You will probably be given pain killers but as I am allergic to most I only get paracetamol so I feel a bit tender in the area where the stitching is.

Hope this helpls.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 09:45:50 PM »

Hi KnMiller,

I had mine taken out this very evening.  There was no pain, only the injection of anaesthetic.  What the others haven't told you is you can feel the surgeon/Doc tugging pullling and cutting things out.  You DO NOT feel any  pain though.

You feel a stinging sensation afterwards but that is cos your flesh is stitched up and the anaesthetic has worn off.  You will probably be given pain killers but as I am allergic to most I only get paracetamol so I feel a bit tender in the area where the stitching is.

Hope this helpls.

EWWWW  EWWWW  EWWWUUU.    :P

MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 04:40:56 AM »

Rerun,

you really are a wimp! How do you get by on a daily basis with dialysis?  ???

SCOTLAND NO.1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »

I use EMLA cream 2 hours before, I use lidocain, and I bite my finger so it hurts more than the needles.... incase I might feel one.  Then I'm fine. 

:beer1;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »