I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Please HELP college student needs research; ? food,drink
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please HELP college student needs research; ? food,drink  (Read 4914 times)
Designstudent

« on: October 09, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »

We are two senior product design students from Western Michigan University doing research on dialysis environments for our thesis project and need your feedback/input. We have also posted other question throughout the forum, feel free to respond to those also.

While dialyzing can you eat or drink any liquids? (while blood is cycling) If so, are there any restrictions or limitations?   Feel free to elaborate, such as what you prefer to eat or drink at this time?

Thank you for your time!!!!!!

Tony & Alan

:2thumbsup;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:15:45 PM »

There is already a thread on what we like to eat on dialysis.  Some clinics don't allow food because people could choke during treatment.
Read every post in this site and you will have your thesis written.   8) 

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 03:00:08 AM »

While dialyzing can you eat or drink any liquids? (while blood is cycling) If so, are there any restrictions or limitations?   
Fluids are limited as most dialysis patients do not urinate. Dialysis takes off fluid and you don't want to be putting it all back on. The would be stupid. Also we are all on a renal diet so it isn't like we can just eat what ever we like and research has pointed to light snacking, if any  eating is permitted, is best over any large meals on dialysis.

There are a lot of resources on the net. Good luck.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Designstudent

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »

There is already a thread on what we like to eat on dialysis.  Some clinics don't allow food because people could choke during treatment.
Read every post in this site and you will have your thesis written.   8) 

we did read many of the diet based posts, but were unsure if the things mentioned in there were referring to your everyday diet as opposed to specific rules as to eating/drinking while actually on the machine  ??? .  so we just want to make sure we arent assuming the wrong things.

While dialyzing can you eat or drink any liquids? (while blood is cycling) If so, are there any restrictions or limitations?   
Fluids are limited as most dialysis patients do not urinate. Dialysis takes off fluid and you don't want to be putting it all back on. The would be stupid. Also we are all on a renal diet so it isn't like we can just eat what ever we like and research has pointed to light snacking, if any  eating is permitted, is best over any large meals on dialysis.

There are a lot of resources on the net. Good luck.

thanks angie, we did do alot of website based research, although we were very new to the dialysis world (at first..) so it was kind of like needle in a haystack going out on the web, we found alot of stuff but it was hit and miss mostly.  as most of you are the experts please reccomend any site that you think are particularly helpful  ;)   For instance, I am completely in love with design, its what i want to do for the rest of my life. someone who dosent know anything about insudtrial design but wanted to learn more could go online and find a few sites with info, but i could refer them to specific sites that i feel are the best and have the most relevant information to what they want to know or just tell them in my words, and thats what we are really looking for here, info for one, yes.  but also the personal feedback and more specific details rather than broad characteristics, we have alot of that already.  hope that makes sense  ??? ;D
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »

At my clinic, the techs or nurses will calculate what ever we may drink to be removed during the time of our session.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:19:43 PM »

I would like a nonspillable cup holder on my chair.
Room to put my bag with my snacks in it so I can reach it, along with my book and whatever else I decide to bring to placate me during my four hours there.
I do eat at dialysis, small snacks.  I usually take a large cup of ice with me, too.
Sometimes i have a soda with it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 03:08:53 AM »

thanks angie, we did do alot of website based research, although we were very new to the dialysis world (at first..) so it was kind of like needle in a haystack going out on the web, we found alot of stuff but it was hit and miss mostly.  as most of you are the experts please reccomend any site that you think are particularly helpful  ;)   For instance, I am completely in love with design, its what i want to do for the rest of my life. someone who dosent know anything about insudtrial design but wanted to learn more could go online and find a few sites with info, but i could refer them to specific sites that i feel are the best and have the most relevant information to what they want to know or just tell them in my words, and thats what we are really looking for here, info for one, yes.  but also the personal feedback and more specific details rather than broad characteristics, we have alot of that already.  hope that makes sense  ??? ;D

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 03:11:32 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Fox_nc

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 06:23:48 AM »

This one is good too!

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=222.0

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Designstudent

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »

thanks everyone for your input  :2thumbsup;  although we have been rather quiet during your discussions dont take it as if we are not listening, we have been checking the posts constantly and are getting VERY useful feedback from you all.  :clap;  currently we have moved into our ideation phase, which basically means that we start sketching out ways that these problems can be possibly solved and eventually narrow them down to what we believe to be the best solution (which dosent happen overnight! more like a few weeks).  once we get some sort of direction, or something that we feel is a little concrete we will somehow make it available for you all to critique (whether through emails or posting images online), and then go back and make revisions. 

so please, continue with all the feedback and comments and we will be chiming in periodically!  :)

thanks,
alan and tony
Designstudent

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:44:38 PM »

hello everyone!
sorry for the long delay in replying.  we have been really busy,(on this project amongst other things), but we are at the end of this semester, we presented out final 'concept' to stryker medical and it went pretts well. we still have the first 6 weeks of next semester to nail down all the small details and make a model.  what we have so far are basically cubicle systems that can be customized, we also found that 'wiring' every cubicle with a pc and an lcd screen with bluetooth capability will provide alot of the entertainment needs, and are currently working on what would be the best way to navigate a computer interface with mostly one hand. we have also designed a new chair, although that came after the cubcle system so its not as far along, but i feel strongly about it.  right now we are preparing 'packets' (or booklets) of what we have done in this first semester, basically explaining the concepts and putting them all together.  these are being created on the computer so i will have a jpeg image of each page of my packet (we are doing separate packets for grading purposes), the question is what is the best way to show everyone? if i put them n a slideshow it would easily be over 10mb, so im thinking the bast way would be to upload all the pages in a zipped folder to an online filesharing source, such as rapidshare or tinypic or something.  if anyone has a reccomendation or preferred uplaoding site please let me know since i want you all to be able to see it.

ill post this update in all out posts in hopes that everyone gets brought up to speed!

thanks,
alan
Fox_nc

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »

Looking forward to it!  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »