I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What Do Social Workers Do?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do Social Workers Do?  (Read 2062 times)
mallory

« on: November 30, 2006, 02:10:58 PM »

Today at the dialysis clinic they introduced me to a social worker.  He seemed very nice.  He talked for a couple of minutes about getting to know me and about how Medicare would eventually become my primary insurance (I'm not too happy about that, but that's not the point of this thread) and then he asked if I had any questions.

He was very nice, and he and the nurse were waiting patiently for me to ask questions, but I didn't have any.  Here's my question, what is a social worker's role in dialysis?  I wasn't sure what kind of questions he was expecting me to ask, and he seemed so helpful, I kind of hated to disappoint him. 

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »

Mine so far has helped answer some questions about health insurance.  She put hubby and I through an "orientation" that consisted of a 3 minute tour of the center, a handful of brochures to take home, and a really dumb movie that was supposed to tell us about our options for treatment.  Everyone was smiling and having a great time dialyzing on the video.  (It might have been better to show us the vid before we saw what the actual patients in the center were going through.)

They're also supposed to keep tabs on your mental status.  From what I gather from rerun's posts, they will hand out more unhelpful little "How to Cope" brochures if you come in grumpy too often.

They also supposed to run interference if you have a problem with the rest of the staff.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Fox_nc

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:21:41 PM »

They are there to help.  Today mine helped me to apply for transportation assistance that will help pay for gas and a nifty program that will pay my health insurance premiums for me. That is money I desperately need right now.  She came by Tuesday with that whole, what can I do for you thing, and I said I needed financial help and she pulled everything that I would be eligible for.  Anything you can think of ask them.  If they are not the ones who can help, they will know who can.  Good luck!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »

The social worker is supposed to help you with anything you need that's not something your doctor can do basically. Mine helped me get a Medicare Supplement and helped get it paid for, and all my premiums paid for. I haven't had to pay any Mediare premiums in 3 years, so i'm happy about that. They also help get medicines approved thatyou need and maybe your insurance doesn't cover. Like for me, I always have to my Renegal and Hectool approved, almost everytime, dunno why it isn't aprovd automaically after the initial time, but she takes care of all that for me and makes sure it gets done fast. Also they help people go back to work on dialysis... go to school.. almost anything you need they can either help you with or find the right person who can help ya.  :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »