I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I need iron
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need iron  (Read 3926 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: June 10, 2007, 04:29:51 AM »

My IV iron is way overdue and cant i tell! I really need that boost it gives you but .. i cant have any right now , my BP is way to high and has been for months. I know we dont give medical advice as such , but any suggestions how i can cope without my iv iron?  Have you found anything that helps ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:37:37 AM »

Do you have a shot every week/month? I do a shot of Epogen every Sunday to get my iron up, I had to do the IV iron too, yuck yuck yuck.  I do that about once a year, along with the shots every week. Other than that, the only other way would be to eat iron rich foods, spinach, liver, other foods high in iron.
JerseyGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:36:05 AM »

We're talking two different issues here.  Aranesp or Epogen is given to stimulate your bone marrow to produce red blood cells.  Iron is needed to make red blood cells.  If you don't have enough iron you won't make the RBC even with the EPOGEN injection. Usually HEmo patients are given IV iron - Ferrlecit, Venofer - while in center and receive either a course meaning several injections, or a maintenance dose weekly.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:16:08 AM »

That is an important clarification: iron is needed to form red blood cells, but erythropoeitin is the machinery that uses the iron to make the red blood cells, so Aranesp and Epo are very different from intravenous iron.  If you are quite sure that your iron dose has been accidentally omitted and it is low iron stores which are worsening your anemia, you can always buy iron supplements over the counter in any pharmacy.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »

Thanks guys , i get IV iron about once every 3 months , not on Aranesp atm. Iron tablets do nothing for me except give me constipation ! I need IV iron ideally. Small doses that tablets/food provide are no were near enough.  Like i said i cant have any with bp being to high , i am on PD  by the way .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 06:47:28 PM »

i  only  have  iron  monthly  so  as  an  aid  i  try  and  have  red  meat  weekly
don't  know if  that  helps ;D

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »

I do Epo every two weeks then I was on iron once a month, but lately I've needed it twice a month.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
lamillinger913

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 01:47:30 PM »

I have a question about IV iron ... I hope this is the right place to ask it. I get mine once a week, I think the Venofer. And then all the next day, I have a bad taste in my mouth ... not metallic exactly, but not pleasant either. Gum helps for a little while, but then, bleh! Does anyone else notice this side effect? I guess it's just something I'll live with ... it's better than the anemia. Still, it kind of spoils the next day for me, you know?

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
tweetykiss

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »

Do you really have to have an IV.....now I know this is a dumb question but do doctors let patients give their own IVs at home?

Have you thought of Ferrous Sulfate pills?  My husband is on them, he takes 3 of those tablets at night.....

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:49:21 PM »

Are you on something for blood pressure? Hopefully you can get your Iron soon. I used to have to get IV Iron every few months, so glad I dont need that anymore... it was so boring sitting in the infusion center getting that darn iron!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 03:44:46 AM »

Do you really have to have an IV.....now I know this is a dumb question but do doctors let patients give their own IVs at home?

Have you thought of Ferrous Sulfate pills?  My husband is on them, he takes 3 of those tablets at night.....

Yes you get IV iron when you get really anemic , NO you cant do IV iron at home , its very dangerous!!! You can go into shock when you are given iron . Tablets dont give you enough iron , after you get to a certain stage. Hope this helps ?

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 03:46:30 AM »

Angela 515 , Hi yes i am on BP tablets but having a lot of problems with side effects as soon as they try to increase my dosage! So at the moment i am on a tiny dose , which isnt really doing much good!

tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 03:51:14 AM »

Yes you get IV iron when you get really anemic , NO you cant do IV iron at home , its very dangerous!!! You can go into shock when you are given iron . Tablets dont give you enough iron , after you get to a certain stage. Hope this helps ?

Actually I do my Iron at home, weekly straight into the hemodialysis machine, comes in a 2ml ampoule that I make up to 10ml syringe with saline, is slowly added through the venous port in the venous bubble trap. Obviously this is done after tests and doses given in the hospital to make sure you dont have an allergic reaction.Have been doing this as long as I have been home, which is about 3 years.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
AlasdairUK

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 04:36:38 AM »

I'm slightly confused, if you have high BP why can you not get IV iron. How are the two related? Is high BP and low iron levels not two different issues?

You said that you are not on Arenesp at the moment, does that mean you are not anemic?

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:35 AM »

I'm slightly confused, if you have high BP why can you not get IV iron. How are the two related? Is high BP and low iron levels not two different issues?

You said that you are not on Arenesp at the moment, does that mean you are not anemic?

Hi AlasdairUK 

Firstly; no i am not on Aranesp, dont ask me why !
Secondly; I was informed that to been given iron when your BP is as high as mine is exremely dangerous. This was from the venofer clinic sister and they have refused to give me any till it can be brought under control .
Thirdly; Yes i am chronic anemic !

hope this helps ?

AlasdairUK

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 07:57:40 AM »

Hi Kickstart,

To me sounds as though you need to start on EPO. I don't know if low HB levels could lead to high BP. Try talking to a consultant if that is at all possible. I know sometimes it is not as easy to be seen as you would think.

Hope all the best to sorting this out.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »