I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 06:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Happy Belated Thanksgiving and farewell to my daddy.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Belated Thanksgiving and farewell to my daddy.....  (Read 6447 times)
RhondaQ

« on: November 24, 2006, 05:32:31 PM »

I wish you all a Belated Happy Thanksgiving my friends!

At approx. 5:45am yesterday, my dad passed away at home, surrounded by those he loved most, including our little dog Buddy Boy.  Daddy is finally at peace......  He quit dialysis approx. 8 weeks ago which is practically unheard of based upon what I've been told by professionals in the medical field.   Last Sunday afternoon he had slipped into a coma after taking a fall in the bedroom earlier that morning on his way to the restroom.  He got pretty banged up with lots of bruises on his arms and hands, but no broken bones that we were aware of (Thank the Good Lord!).....I called hospice to report the fall and the fact that he had been complaining of constipation and was told to increase the morphine and lorazepam to once every two hours.  At some point later that afternoon he fell into a coma.  I don't recall when exactly as it appeared he was sleeping due to the increase of meds.  When the nurse arrived, she mentioned that "the end was near" and put him on a 1-2 hour watch, fully expecting that he would not last through the night.  On Monday dad was still with us, and nurse was due to visit that afternoon at 1:30pm.  My brother was flying in from Florida to Kansas and we were thinking that dad was holding on to see him.  This may have been  why he was "hanging on by a thread", although he continued in this same condition up until Thanksgiving morning when we woke up and noticed his breathing had slowed wayyyyyyyyy down.  I administered the meds at 5am and we took turns checking on him up until about 5:45 when my brother reported that our dad no longer seemed to be breathing.  He was officially pronounced dead at 7:10am.

I just want to take the time to thank all of you for the many well wishes, prayers and encouragement.  My 82 year old daddy went peacefully on a holiday in which we celebrate and give thanks for our many blessings.  What an appropriate time for such a special man, one that showed his appreciation and love in every life he had touched to depart from his life on earth to be with his Maker.  I miss and love him greatly as you all know...........He was indeed the most important man in my life..........my daddy...

Before I end this post, I'd like to pass on a little tidbit from dad.  He mentioned this not long ago during one of his "clear moments" when Alzheimer's wasn't interferring with his thoughts.  This is what he told me----

"Quit being so serious about everything.  Life is too short and you need to learn to let your hair down and enjoy it once in awhile, dam_it."

He sure had a way with words and a zest for life.

Love and hugs to all of you:)

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 05:45:06 PM »

Rhonda, I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for your father's final peace.  I think he was waiting for Thanksgiving to thumb his nose at all the food that he couldn't have if he were on dialysis.  He must have still been passing urine to have lived that long.  I don't pass any, so my time would have to be shorter!  GOD I hope so! 

Thank you for letting us know.  I wish you the best.  I'm sure he will be missed.

Rerun~

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »

Hi Rhonda,
Your dad sounds like a great guy. I am sorry he's gone.
He's right... let your hair down and enjoy yourself. He
will know you took his advice!
Best wishes,
Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »

:cuddle;  Thank you for letting us know. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 08:10:58 PM »

I hope you will take your Dad's advice and live a little.  My prayers go for him and for your family.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 08:15:35 PM »

I think we should ALL take your Dad's advice and live a little.  God Bless you and your family.  :angel;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Jill D.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:46:28 PM »

Sending you warm hugs. You were so lucky to have such a wonderful father, and he was so lucky to have family who loved and cared for him until the end of his earthly life.  :cuddle;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 11:54:06 AM »

Rhonda, Thank you so much for sharing with us at this difficult time.  I am at a loss for words, but know that my thoughts are with you and your family. :cuddle;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 03:17:51 PM »

Rhonda,

I too am at a loss for words having just read your post.  I hope you are able to put into practice those fine words of your Dad's about taking life too seriously.  Thinking of you at this time.

Matty.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Fighter

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »

This is terrible if not surprising news.

Thanks for sharing this on the internet, it must have been hard for you to write that post. Your life will go on now without your father's kidney disease to worry about but I hope you never forget about our community!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 06:44:08 PM »

Condolences on your loss.
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »

I send you a warm hugh....sorry for your loss
anja

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »

My sincere sympathy, Rhonda, on the loss of your dear father.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:47:30 AM »

My sympathies to you Rhonda and your family.  :grouphug;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 08:48:08 AM »

So sorry for your loss... can I ask how is it he stayed for 8 weeks? Seems like a long time for not doing dialysis... I am suprised. I missed dialysis for 4 days once because of access issues and I felt horrible.. I can't imagine going 8 weeks... Was he on lots of pain meds? Sorry for the questions... I just always wondered because eventually someday I will have to make that choice too (maybe).

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Nan

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 09:21:48 AM »

Rhonda, I read your note with tears stinging my eyes.  I am so very sorry for your loss.  There is a book that I read that helped me the most after the loss my dear mother, the title is "Final Gifts", it is a book I wish I had read " before" losing her, there are gifts given by our loved ones, that sometimes go unnoticed, and this book which is written by hospice nurses, explains some of them.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, again...I am so very sorry. Most sincerely, Nan

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »

I wish you peace in his passing.   :grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RhondaQ

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »

Everyone is surprised at how long my dad lasted without dialysis, but he always told me that he was still passing a little bit of urine, although it was very slow and tedious.  Could this have been why?  Hospice nurses were amazed as well as doctors that he was hanging on so long.  We thought at first that it was his strong will to live and then assumed he was waiting for my brother to fly out from Florida.....?  All of the above may have had something to do with it, but in all honesty we are just grasping at straws.  It just wasn't his time I suppose......?  Dad was indeed a fighter with a strong heart and good set of lungs.  His only downfall was the kidneys.

I hope this helps in some way to answer your questions.
Thanks for responding:)
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »

Your dad seemed like a wonderful wise man. My condolences to you and your family.

i also believe your father could of lasted that bit longer because he passed urine, i pass A lot of urine and my doctors said thats why i can have a lot of extra potassium and phosphate, and especially salt.

My sympathies to you and your family.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 08:38:53 PM »

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is a sad time in life when we have to say goodbye to our parents, even though we know it is the best for them, it is still hard to let them go.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:46:17 AM »

Everyone is surprised at how long my dad lasted without dialysis, but he always told me that he was still passing a little bit of urine, although it was very slow and tedious.  Could this have been why?  Hospice nurses were amazed as well as doctors that he was hanging on so long.  We thought at first that it was his strong will to live and then assumed he was waiting for my brother to fly out from Florida.....?  All of the above may have had something to do with it, but in all honesty we are just grasping at straws.  It just wasn't his time I suppose......?  Dad was indeed a fighter with a strong heart and good set of lungs.  His only downfall was the kidneys.

I hope this helps in some way to answer your questions.
Thanks for responding:)

Thanks hun. I believe people hang on for all kinds of reasons, and none may even be medical. I like the thought of him hanging on to see your brother.. my aunt held on to see her son, I believe it to be true.  :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »

Thank you for letting us be a part of this tremendous life.  I feel so close to you as I too had a larger-than-life father who was taken by kidney failure.  But we have our wonderful memories, don't we? - those we will never lose.  May you continue to experience comfort day by day as your dad rests in peace.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »