I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Long haul flying and fluids
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long haul flying and fluids  (Read 11963 times)
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 10:52:16 AM »

The skin is sometimes referred to as a 'third kidney,' because it can act the same way the kidney does to remove toxins and fluid from the body through perspiration. Patients who have put off dialysis way too long will develop all over their skin what is called 'uremic frost,' which is a layer of toxins drawn out of the blood stream by the skin in its role as substitute kidney.  On a plane, the dry air will draw more moisture out of everyone, whether they have renal failure or not, which is why airline staff are always forcing fluids on patients.  Under normal conditions a person loses about 0.5 kilograms of fluid a day through the breath and through perspiration via the skin, but in very warm or very dry conditions, this amount can be greatly increased.  A friend of mine was a captain in the Israeli Army and one of his roles, while marching troops through the Negev Desert, was to require them to stop every 15 minutes and drink a prescribed amount of water whether they wanted to or not.  This was because so much fluid can be lost from the human body in hot, dry conditions that the thirst sensors of the body cannot register how much replacement fluid is really needed.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 03:01:51 PM »

Stauffenberg, you must be a hoot at parties huh?  :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »

The skin is sometimes referred to as a 'third kidney,' because it can act the same way the kidney does to remove toxins and fluid from the body through perspiration. Patients who have put off dialysis way too long will develop all over their skin what is called 'uremic frost,' which is a layer of toxins drawn out of the blood stream by the skin in its role as substitute kidney.  On a plane, the dry air will draw more moisture out of everyone, whether they have renal failure or not, which is why airline staff are always forcing fluids on patients.  Under normal conditions a person loses about 0.5 kilograms of fluid a day through the breath and through perspiration via the skin, but in very warm or very dry conditions, this amount can be greatly increased.  A friend of mine was a captain in the Israeli Army and one of his roles, while marching troops through the Negev Desert, was to require them to stop every 15 minutes and drink a prescribed amount of water whether they wanted to or not.  This was because so much fluid can be lost from the human body in hot, dry conditions that the thirst sensors of the body cannot register how much replacement fluid is really needed.

Yes, I often feel like a patient when I am on an aircraft :)

Well it is 42 degrees C here yesterday (107.6F aparently) and I lost a heap of fluid (according to my home scales) from sweating.. so I enjoyed an extra glass or two of ice water.. about the only time I was glad for a hot day!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Panda_9

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 02:38:03 AM »

Just go by how you are feeling, and if possible take a blood pressure monitor with you. I still wouldnt go overboard.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 05:45:25 AM »

Oh but it's Dom Perignon!! How can you not drink as much as possible at $200 a bottle? :D

lol

just kidding :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »

Happy Birthday Richard.....drink Dom....and plenty of it.  Inbetween sips, suck some ice and spray your skin with some Evian....you'll arrive feeling brand new......and this comes from another Aussie who is use to long-haul trips to reach other civilizations.   
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »