I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone get light headed really easy when they stand up?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone get light headed really easy when they stand up?  (Read 5303 times)
Jaybird

« on: January 01, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »

I used to get light headed when I stood up rarely, prior to dialysis. Like when i jumped up from watching a movie or something after a long period of sitting down.

Since dialysis I get light headed to the point that I almost fall down. And I dont have to be still for a long time. If I sit for like 5-10 minute and get up (not fast), I still get light headed sometimes. Its scarey, because I cant even see well when i get like that. One time i was holding my son in my arms and i stood up after picking him up and i almost fell down with both of us. That scared the hell out of me. I try to pick him up from the standing position now.

Anyone else? or is it just me?
-Jaybird
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:27:21 PM »

Yes, i do too Jaybird,  usually when i first get up in the morning and i sit up at the edge of the bed, it takes me a minute before i feel like i can stand, same as if i am sitting and watching t.v.  I have to first sit at the edge of the couch and then slowly get up or i will get dizzy and have to sit right back down if i get up too fast.   :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
AlasdairUK

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:29:53 AM »

It could be a sign that you are dry and may need to adjust your fluid weight. Standing up from a lying or sitting position will decrease your blood pressure and this is what makes you feel light headed. What is your pre and post BP levels from dialysis? During dialysis does your arterial pressure climb significantly?

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Jaybird

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »

My BP is steady throughout dialysis. Also, I already ajusted my dry weight to compensate i thought. I started at 70.5 kilo's, I went up to 71.0 when i got cramps. I can raise it to 71.5 and see if it helps. But I get dizzy on the days I dont do dialysis too, its not just dialysis days.

-Jaybird
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:53:21 AM »

The medical name for that condition is orthostatic hypotension, and can be caused by the nerve disease which arises from the toxins which accumulate in dialysis patients.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »

I get less of it now that I've started dialysis, actually.  At least now that they have gotten my bp to something closer to normal - it was pretty low for a bit during the second week.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

mallory

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »

I get lightheaded too, Jaybird.  It got much worse when my blood pressure was low, but I still get it even when my BP is normal.  Like Goofynina said, sometimes I have to stand up very slowly or sit for a few minutes before I get up, or I feel like I'm going to pass out. 

It's particularly bad when I bend over, like when you picked up your son, and then stand up fast, that really makes me feel dizzy and lightheaded.  I've just learned not to stand up too quick, but it's still annoying.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »