I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 07:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  I have a Question i need answered before I start this..Please read and input...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have a Question i need answered before I start this..Please read and input...  (Read 5979 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: September 16, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »

I do in-center Nocturnal Hemodialysis and the only thing that gets me through the treatments is my benadryl that I get injected into the line during the treatment becasue it knocks me out and I can sleep. Does the Nxstage line have a port where you can inject meds straight into the line???You guys know what im talking about?? 
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »

Neo I think once you start Nxstage you won't need Benadryl, Otto stays busy on the Computer while he's on.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:52:17 PM »

Neo, I'm pre-dialysis but should start any time now.  My Neph. wants me to do incenter nocturnal and I really think that would be best for me.  Tell me, is it difficult for you to sleep at all without the Benadryl?  Is it the sounds or the fact you can't move that make it difficult?  Do they turn the lights way down or not at all?  Rerun and Kitkatz seem to like nocturnal so much better than regular session dialysis and my Neph really recommends it.  Also, how has doing nocturnal dialysis affected your diet?  Do you eat more "normal" and drink more "normal"?   Sorry for hijacking your thread with all these questions.

I hope someone can answer your questions.     :thx;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »

Most lines do have a port for injections. If not, you center can make sure you get the right ones.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »

The entire time Marvin was in-center hemo, he always took three Benadryl pre-treatment (over twelve years).  Since he's been on home hemo, no Benadryl AT ALL.

His NxStage machine does NOT have a port for injections.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »

If IV meds are absolutely needed on NxStage, there is a port on top of the dialyzer that can be used to inject meds. That's not what it's actually for (it's a port for removing air from the system), but it can be used for that. Most NxStage patients end up not needing any IV meds during treatment, unless the centre's protocol involves giving IV EPO or iron.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »

You can use the port for IV meds, but sleeping during your NxStage run isn't really practical - you have to record readings every half an hour.  Your run time will likely be about 2 and a half hours, not the 4 you do in-center.  NxStage is supposed to be changing the tubing system to include a port sometime soon.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Wallyz

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:55:52 AM »

I do extended therapy on the nxstage, and so I sleep with it.  I sleep better with it than without it.  You can use the air bleed valve to inject meds if you want. If you are doing Nxstage, and are used to nocturnal, I would encourage you to look at extended therapy.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »

Neo Otto said to let you know when he falls asleep(he tries not to) he wakes up feeling like :puke; he has to record his readings every half hour so that helps not to fall asleep.

Neo

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »

well I'm going to be doing 7 hour treatments which is what I do now.. I absolutely need the benadryl injections to sleep. I have a partner that will be monitoring me so I'll be able to sleep but I absolutely need he bnadryl injections because it gets me through the treatment.. Isn't there a port in the line that you can inject directly into the fistula like my in center? It's a no go for me if it doesn't have that.. Can someone post a pic ofthe lines connected to the needle? Thanks
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »

Can't you just take it orally a half an hour before you start?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »

NxStage is presently working on installing a port for medicine but Davita doesn't "allow" us to use any of the existing ports for medication.  I have to self inject my EPO and have to go to the clinic for Iron etc.  I don't know about NxStage that is used by NON Davita but I am checking into that next week after my day today.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »

I'm using mine for Hectorol right now.  NxStage itself doesn't encourage the use of the air valve for meds injection, but I'm thru a private clinic that gives more leeway on a case by case basis.  It's also possible to inject some meds directly into the cannulation lines before connecting to the machine.  Iron is more complicated - very few insurance companies will cover it for home use.  I had to go to the infusion center for mine.

Wallyz

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 07:23:13 AM »

I gotta find batteriess for my camera, but I will try to get pics up later.
Wallyz

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »

Neo- Here is the port on the outflow end of the filter

The port can accept a standard 3 or 10 cc Syringe.  If you inject benadryl into the system after starting the pump, it will hit your system before the first blood starts back.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »

I inject Rob's Epo and Iron treatments into that port, his dialysis nurse told us to do it that way.  Just make sure you flush after each injection.  He has been doing this for over 1 1/2 years and has no issues at all.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Neo

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »

does that go directly into the vein or through the machine and then into the vein? I get mine in the port nearest to my fistula so the benadryl doesn't dilute on it's way into my body.. I know I sound difficult but I have such restless legs and sleeping problems that it's the only thing that gets me through my treatments.. Oh and thanks for all the info your all a huge help as usual... Oh, and no benadryl in pill form is way different than IV form. I'm sure some of you have had IV benadryl and may understand why I can't do without it while I'm waiting for my transplant during treatments... You all are great thanks so much for your effort in figuring this out for me.. My dialysis is avprivate company not davita by the way..
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »

Anything that goes into that port will not be diluted, because at that point, the blood has already passed through the dialyzer and is on the way back to your access. It only goes through a pressure sensor and an air detector, but those have no effect on any meds that may be injected into the port. And like skyedogrocks said, make sure you flush the port with a little bit of saline after the benadryl is injected, otherwise it will just sit there in the port and the top of the dialyzer and not go anywhere.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Wallyz

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »

What he said.  It's on the outflow side, so it is not diluted much at all.
Neo

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »

AWESOME !! Thank you so much for that info!! Benadryl IV is the only thing that calms my legs during treatments...  I think ill try it out now, starting next month...
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »

Just stick to your guns and get pushy if they say they can't let you inject meds that way.  Plenty of us are doing it!

Robby712

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »

I think it depends on who trains you...but when I did home for a year they told me they didn't want me sleeping.  I had to be able to respond to any alarms or problems that my arise during treatment.  But if you have to have it make sure they are aware of that before you start training.

Also,  I'm kind of shocked they have you doing 7 hour treatments...is that 3 days a week or what?

I was doing 2:30-2:40 depending on how much I put on in between treatments...3X a week.

Wallyz

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 09:26:04 PM »

It's the extended therapy option. You use the same amount of dialysis, but run the pump and the dialyisate at a slower rate. what this does is slow the process to pull everything out of the body more gently and more slowly, so that your body can move toxins out of the tissues and into the blood where it can be filtered out.

There is a heparin pump that attaches to the system so that clotting is less of an issue, and when you pull water off more slowly, you have less issues with cramping, restless leg, and other issues.

I run 7 to 7 1/2 hours overnight, six days a week.  I have normalized my diet, do not take binders, and was able to climb Mt Pilchuck a couple weeks ago.  If you are looking to feel close to healthy again, I would encourage you to look into it.
swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »

I know this is an old thread but I am new here so it's new to me  :waving; I am interested in the nocturnal dialysis. I was told that Davita doesn't train for that but perhaps another center does. Is it covered by insurance without any problems?

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 09:15:32 PM »

Medicare covers it just like normal dialysis at a center.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »