I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 01:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  ‘God taught me lesson’ about taking Ike lightly
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ‘God taught me lesson’ about taking Ike lightly  (Read 2762 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 15, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »

‘God taught me lesson’ about taking Ike lightly

By Rhiannon Meyers
The Daily News
Published September 14, 2008

GALVESTON — The proud son of a 1900 Storm survivor, Fletcher Harris, 85, always told anyone who would listen that he’s not the type of man who flees from a hurricane.

But after a harrowing night in his apartment and a near-deadly flee from rising floodwaters, the former city councilman, who stayed through hurricanes Carla and Alicia, said he’ll never weather another island hurricane again.

“It was the worst thing I’ve ever seen,” he said as he sat in a hard-backed chair outside of Ball High School, wearing a shirt smeared with mud and blood from his arm.

Harris grew up hearing his father’s stories about how he survived the devastating 1900 Storm by fleeing to high ground.

Harris spent the early part of Friday night in his downstairs apartment at Ashton Place, 6904 Lasker Drive.

He said he figured if flooding got too bad, he, like his father, would flee to high ground.

When the waters rose, Harris grabbed a crowbar and headed upstairs to pry open a second story apartment door.

About 9 p.m., Harris, who has only one hand, fumbled in the dark to loosen the lock, but high winds knocked him down again and again.

He cut his arm, bruised his body and severely injured his hip. Firefighters said they thought it wasn’t broken.

Harris took to the streets to seek shelter.

He grabbed a stop sign for support but it snapped apart in his hand.

When the winds died down Saturday morning, rescue crews plucked Harris from the street and brought him to Ball High School.

“Can you imagine me being so smart-alecky that I thought, ‘It’s just a hurricane?’

“God has sent me this to teach me a lesson, and a bunch of other people, too. I’m never going to mess around again.”

Islanders who fled rising waters in the middle of roaring Hurricane Ike echoed Harris’ words.

Jesse Segura lives in a two-bedroom home at 2115 71st St.

He stayed, thinking Ike would do as little damage to his place as Hurricane Rita did three years ago.

But when the storm made landfall, Segura’s home started to flood.

Electric sockets shorted out. He shut off the electricity, stacked two mattresses atop his kitchen table and tried to sleep there.

The waters rose higher.

When the water was chest deep, Segura panicked. He waded to the bathroom, climbed atop the sink, punched a hole in the sheet rock, and hauled himself into the attic, where he waited for the winds to die.

Rescue crews found him Saturday morning on 69th Street. When they scooped him up, Segura was barefooted, and his jeans and T-shirt were soaked. He could barely stand on his swollen feet.

“This was a real close call to death for me,” he said. “I’ll never do it again, man. I learned my lesson.”

Segura joined a group of islanders at Ball High school who had been rescued from their homes.

The survivors bummed cigarettes, petted each other’s dogs, held babies and swapped survival stories. Some needed medical treatment.

One firefighter was treated on the front steps of Ball High School for burns he sustained in a fire.

Those sitting on the steps with him paid no attention as medics hooked an IV to the firefighter’s arm and swung an IV bag over his shoulder. They were too worried about their own family members.

Destin Fluellen’s father was flown to a hospital after the storm Saturday because he hadn’t received dialysis treatments in two days.

Rescue crews said they found Fluellen, who lived at 19th Street and Avenue I, carrying his father along Broadway.

On Saturday, Fluellen and his family shouted out thanks to Galveston police and fire crews as they headed back home to assess the damage.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=687c7e9d44b33ed2

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »

Vey touching and thought provoking story, Okarol!   Thanks for sharing!

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »

What a great story and a wonderful son.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »

That will learn him.   ;)  I don't wish anything bad on anyone but when they said certain death was imminent if you didn't leave, they should of got the message.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »

Wow, it was a scary night for me and I am 70 miles inland.  I can't imagine being on the island during that storm!!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »

That will learn him.   ;)  I don't wish anything bad on anyone but when they said certain death was imminent if you didn't leave, they should of got the message.

You said it, man.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »

I was angry when I heard all those people didn't leave when they were told to..don't they realize they were putting the rescuers lives in danger or didn't they care?
Thanks for the story okarol.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:28:58 PM »

Some rescuers have been a little testy about putting their life on the line for the hardheads
who refused to leave.  I don't blame them one bit.

Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

Was there any mass transportation offered?  How do you leave if you are 80 years old with no car, and no family?

Just wondering~              :waving;

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »

Yes, they offered many forms of transpotation.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:14:04 AM »

Yes Rerun I thought of that also and I have often wondered what I would do living paycheck to paycheck, I couldn't afford gas in the car to leave right now if I was told to leave. I'm sure a neighbor or friend would give me a ride to higher ground. At least I hope they would.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »

The mayor was on TV every hour saying if you need assistance call 311 and someone will come and get you.  He was very plain and straightforward.  Especially as it neared 6:00 pm Friday, he gave lots of last minute chances.  At that time, Galveston was already experiencing flooding from high waters.  There was a big problem however, they found most of the people who were staying had hard heads and didn't care one way or the other, or there was also many other language barriers that were missed.  Those people didn't watch tv either, so did they really realize how hard a storm this was?  Or that there was a way to evacuate?  There hasn't been a storm like this to hit our area since the 50's.  Most people believe the storm always takes an easterly turn before our coast, and then we are on the "safe" side of the weather.   So they send a task force to search for the hard heads. That put alot of people at risk, you're right.  Now there are still hundreds stranded without any services, but when contacted, they say they are staying!  The ones staying live like this anyway, like they "camp" for a life.  Should we continue to waste time on these folks or rather put more effort into getting gas and water to those others inland that are stranded now on day 4 with nothing?  Many others have been effected now and stranded with no services in areas that were not to be evacuated.  The lines for gas stations start before they open.  Same with the POD's (place of deliver for goods from Salvation Army).  Open more POD's and get people's utilities back, that would serve a better purpose in my eyes.   

Sorry for the rant,. I am just in the middle of this here and feeling a bit frustrated I guess... :rant;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »