I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:33:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hot Flashes - No not menopause
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hot Flashes - No not menopause  (Read 1734 times)
silverhead

« on: September 15, 2008, 08:50:36 AM »

Sharon usually feels cold during her hemo treatment and we handle with blankets, the problem lately has been about 3-4 hours afterward that she gets these hot flashes, starts sweating a lot and putting an ice pack behind her neck and turning the oscillating fan on across the room brings it down soon enough, but am concerned about what causes this, she is on the NxStage system, six days a week and her labs have been very good for some time, she had been on Zemplar for about 6 weeks to lower her PTH but she has recently stopped it's use because of side effects, she has been off it long enough (10 days) to have it cleared from her system (17 hour half life), so don't really feel it is the problem. and this was happening before it's use, has anyone experienced this?

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Jay72

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »

Samething happens to, and sorry but I have not asked why it is happening.  I thought it was my bp, but I took it and it was fine.  It sure isn"t very much fun I will say that.
Wallyz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »

Are you monitoring her temperature during these times?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »

Low BP can make me sweaty during and even after D so I'm mentioning this to you.  Nothing to suggest besides that but please let us know if you ever find the reason.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
silverhead

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

Tonight when it hit I grabbed the BP machine and checked her temp, temp was 98.0 and BP was 140/74, both well within normal.......
We are wondering if this is may still be related to aftereffects of the Zemplar use, almost all the warnings about it's side effects came to pass in her case and may take longer than they say to clear it from her system, We did learn from detailed study of the maker sight that those starting on it's use should have weekly labs done in the first month, we only had normal monthly labs done after 2 weeks use and again a month later, sure wish we had been aware of that in the beginning, only learned of it after looking at the Physicians portion of the Abbott labs sight, will have a few choice words for her Neph when we see him.......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »

Oh I hate that for her.  Yes, I start getting very cold about 1/2 through my nxstage run and the last 11 minutes feel like my veins are solid ice...even have the temp at 1 oclock and hold my lines which feel extremely warm...I hope someone has the answer...my trainer/nurse doesn't know either.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »