I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  How do you ask for a raise?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you ask for a raise?  (Read 3369 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: August 04, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »

I've never had to do that before, but I'm not making nearly what I should.  One problem is one of the offices I work for is a charity, and they really don't make a lot of money. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »

There are a few things to be considered when asking for a raise.

1. How long have you worked for the company? (If it's under a year you can pretty much forget it.  It can happen but not likely.)
2. What kind of place do you work for?  (You said they are a charity, so depending on the charities cash flow it could be iffy.)
3. Do you do a job that is either...
     a. Not something someone of the street can be easily trained to do.
     b. When you do a job do you do your work above and beyond what is expected?

These are just a few things to think about before asking.  If you feel you bust your hump for your place of work and deserve to get paid more then by all means take a stand.  Just remember there is always someone else out there that they can hire for cheaper.  I have done this on a few occasions, and have gotten a raise.  It hasn't always been as much as I wanted, but something is better than nothing or a pink slip.  I have found it's kinda like selling a car or house.  You have to be strong and determined about what you want.  Don't show weakness if you can help it when they ask you questions regarding why you want a raise and why you think you deserve one. If they eve give you an option or ask you what you think you are worth ask for a little more than what you think you should get.  Kinda like saying car for sale $3,000 OBO (or best offer).  You may only want $2,000 for it, but it gives you some room to play.  Just don't go crazy because they will either laugh at you or plain out refuse because it's too much.

It's not easy being green.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 02:05:53 PM »

Good advice Hawkeye,  I am going to hit up my hubby for a raise tonight, lol... HEY, I deserve one,  ;)   You can also explain your situation and tell them that Joe is ill and you need either more money or some overtime maybe?  I was my own boss for the past 13 years so i really never had to ask for one.  Good luck...

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 02:15:11 PM »

You can also explain your situation and tell them that Joe is ill and you need either more money or some overtime maybe?

That is a good suggestion too.  Just be careful if you tell them Joe is sick.  If they don't know your situation very well, they may just think your playing a sympathy card to get more money.  Some people are just a**holes like that.

It's not easy being green.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I've never had to do that before, but I'm not making nearly what I should.  One problem is one of the offices I work for is a charity, and they really don't make a lot of money. 

"I need a raise"

Simple as that. Believe me, I was a manager of a major retail drug store and I didn't like to hear sad stories, how poor you are, or how much you need it. I respected a employee that just came right out and asked for a raise. When you are in management you are taught it's all about the bottom dollar, and if the company is having a hard time, then they will NOT care about your situation because if they can't give a raise then they just can't and a sob story will not change that. Now this applies to big companies, NOT mom and pop places of employment.

But yeah just tell them "I need a raise" But never add "or I will quit" never give an ultimatum unless you plan on following through, because if you say you will quit and they say sorry no raise, and you do not quit then you just lost all credibility and respect. Trust me.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »