I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  is there a transition period after you get on the nxstage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: is there a transition period after you get on the nxstage  (Read 2940 times)
Run8

308-850-5711

« on: September 07, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »

My Doctors are telling me that my transition period is over and I must now return to work. Just wondering if there is a transition period that anyone is aware of. Not that i don't want to return to work but working for r the railroad can be very different and difficult even for a person not on dialysis. I rank 2nd as far as time waiting goes on the waiting list, and think it would be better to wait until after the transplant. Have anybody else had this problem?
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »

I have never known of anyone on dialysis being forced to return to work. It's a decision that is made by Social Security (if you're on SS Disability) but the doctors do have input. Here the disability cases are routinely reevaluated every two years. If your on some kind of employer disability, it may be different especially if it's short term.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »

Transition to what, exactly?  It's not like dialysis suddenly "transitions" you back to being healthy!  Tell them you are not ready to start work again.  They can't force you, can they?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

silverhead

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »

I cannot believe any doctor could make a decision based on a "transition period" on a relatively new patient on dialysis, every patient I have encountered has been unique in their response to the machine or dialysis in general, sounds like a company doctor trying to push the envelope, what does your Neph say?

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:31:45 PM »

I am also thinking that if you are on the company's disability plan, they would expect that you would either resume work or go on SSI.
But I don't understand why the doctor would say that. Is this a nephrologist or what?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »

I'm receiving Disability from the railroad retirement board, which is the railroads social security. So i can go back to work when i feel i am ready. The railroad knows of my situation and has me on  medical leave until i transplant or want to come back. They even have my family and i covered under their insurance for two years from the date i last worked.It is my neph. that says i am ready to go back to work. he says i am the healthiest i am going to be on dialysis and its time to go back to work.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »

Otto's also on NxStage but he is still working. I did not know of a transition period ???

Wallyz

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 04:01:23 PM »

Get a new neph, this guys sounds like an A$$.  If you do not feel ready, you are not ready.  I might toalkto the ail road and see if there is some light workload work available, but don't let someone bully you into doing something not healthy for you.
hookedonheparin

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 12:45:48 PM »

have been on home dialisys for olmost 2 years, no one has ever mentioned a transition period to me. I hope to get a transplant some day and I am on permanent disability
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »