I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  what browser do you use?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what browser do you use?  (Read 11800 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« on: August 03, 2006, 02:31:33 PM »

What browser do you all use??

I was thinking about this with an email I got today that said this:

According to my instructor who does massive research he said the most dangerous browser is IE-6. He said it is what they call "Proprietary Software, meaning, Microsoft owns it, and they can do what they jolly well please with it. He said it is attacked by more hackers and malware than other browsers, and they use "Active X" which he said carries in "trouble" too. He said the best browser is "Fire fox"
For security purposes, he said it can not be beat, plus, it is an open source program, meaning that they are always adding to it and improving upon it. I am going to download it later, it is about 4.1mb in size, should take about an hour to download for me,

I have both browsers myself.

EDIT: Link changed, if you wish to download, Firefox please use the link in our links section. Help support our site - Epoman, Admin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:34:38 PM by Epoman » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 02:48:43 PM »

I have both myself also.

I do perfer Mozilla Firefox myself.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:21:07 PM »

My Internet Explorer, for some reason, stopped working.  My Windows Explorer also did, so I can't open My Computer, or My Documents, etc. in the normal way.  Epoman suggested Mozilla Firefox to me.  I have been using it since then, and it works very well.
I also use MS Explorer from time to time (that still works)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
jdat

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:36:54 PM »

Mostly Firefox because of Tabbed browsing but I still have to go with Iexplorer every once in a while.

I am slowly starting to fully shift to Open source becoming a big wikipedia contributor  ;), using Open source apps like OpenOffice etc
But still can't make a full jump to Linux because of programs like Photoshop which just don't have their equivalent under Linux  >:(
sandman

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »

Mostly IE-6 here myself.  But I also use firefox from time to time but only because firefox is better overall for web development.

Please forgive the rant but where I can agree, firefox is more secure then IE by default, firefox is NOT always better for everyday browsing.  Some sites can not be viewed using firefox because it lacks the needed plug in support.  Yes, firefox is in some ways better because it is not riddled with bugs caused by activeX or other multimedia plugins but, what most people don't seem to realise is that all the garbage that has been added to IE-6 to give it more versatility, CAN BE TURNED OFF or controlled!

Also note that even though firefox is more secure then IE-6, it does not mean it is fool proof.  You can still download malicious software or code via firefox and you would not even know it.  Don't be fooled into thinking that just because your using firefox, that you are immune, because your not.  The best security on a windows run PC is simply a wise user.  Just use some caution out there.
SpeedFleX

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:33:13 AM »

I use Firefox and IE 7 beta 3.

Firefox is my favorite through all the extensions and plugins rock never had I problem with firefox with any websites and if a do I got the handy extensions IE Tab which then uses IE.

and @ jdat have u tried Gimp? Like photoshop just open source^^
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »

Some sites can not be viewed using firefox because it lacks the needed plug in support.

I found out this to my chagrin - our family website doesn't load properly on Firefox.  When that happens, I use MS Explorer.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:39:32 PM »

I use firefox and IE too.  Like others have said firefox doesn't work properly for everything, but I do think it runs much faster than IE so that's why I use it..

It's not easy being green.
sandman

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »

SpeedFleX, what version of firefox are you using?  I'm using firefox 1.5.0.1.  I haven't gone to IE 7 beta because I have been hearing that it's still kinda buggy.
SpeedFleX

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6

Well the browser itself isn't buggy but some programs that use ie are sometimes buggy or I get some kind of error.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »

Some sites can not be viewed using firefox because it lacks the needed plug in support.

I found out this to my chagrin - our family website doesn't load properly on Firefox.  When that happens, I use MS Explorer.

Ah yes. That is one reason I have 2 browsers. So I can be sure my site works on both (and it does) ... but sadly it "disappeared" just a few days ago and no one knows why or where  :'( so now it shows up on NO browsers... >:(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 06:07:07 AM »

All of them, IE, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, and Mozilla but mainly IE. Add a little Safari when I'm playing with the MacinSloth.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 07:27:09 AM »

Ive been using mozilla firefox, main reason being IE has some sort of a Trojan. It has to be in a "written file" as my mcafee is not able to clean, contain or delete the file. IE is frustrating when I click to open it, sets off my virus alert, and has slowed my PC to a crawl  :(

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:15:06 PM »

Ive been using mozilla firefox, main reason being IE has some sort of a Trojan. It has to be in a "written file" as my mcafee is not able to clean, contain or delete the file. IE is frustrating when I click to open it, sets off my virus alert, and has slowed my PC to a crawl  :(
You can uninstall IE. But as to how exactly since it is integrated into Windows .. check with the PC pros ;) (Epoman or Sandman as far as I know know a LOT about computers :P )

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »

You CAN NOT uninstall IE-6 from windows XP as because, it comes with it.  You can on the other hand, reinstall IE on windows XP but in most cases, when the problem is caused by a virus, simply reinstalling IE will not fix the problem.  The virus must die first.

If you can find the file name, you can search symantec.com for the removal instructions.  You can also check here for a free virus scan.  Symantec Security Check.  If that finds your infection, you will be directed to manual removal instructions for any viruses found.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:38:12 PM by sandmansa » Logged
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:55 AM »

If you can find the file name, you can search symantec.com for the removal instructions.  You can also check here for a free virus scan.  Symantec Security Check.  If that finds your infection, you will be directed to manual removal instructions for any viruses found.

Like I have posted in another thread I use norton anti-virus (Symantec) because I don't believe that McCrappy (Mcafee) detects everything or updates as frequently.  My oppinion, but I haven't seen proof otherwise.  The thing that sucks about it is that all the companies like AOL are using Mcafee as their free virus protection program.

It's not easy being green.
SpeedFleX

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 06:21:22 AM »

I would uninstall mcafee and install a free virus program to see if that can get rid of it?

http://www.free-av.com/

that's what I used before I had Norton

oh are you using windows xp and do u have all the new updates like service pack 2?
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »

You CAN NOT uninstall IE-6 from windows XP as because, it comes with it.  You can on the other hand, reinstall IE on windows XP but in most cases, when the problem is caused by a virus, simply reinstalling IE will not fix the problem.  The virus must die first.

Correct IE, is highly integrated in Windows XP, it's required. But you don't have to use it. I'll say it again like in my original post, I only use those few programs I mentioned and I NEVER have problems. AVG Anti-Virus is a great FREE program and does not slow you system like Norton Systemworks. I have made many people "Love" their computers again by just installing those free programs.

To ALL members of IHD.com I do not endorse ANY other program mentioned here by other members. IHD.com ONLY recommends the programs listed in the first post of this thread. Use "other" programs at your own risk.  :) - Epoman, Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
sandman

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »

AVG Anti-Virus is a great FREE program and does not slow you system like Norton Systemworks. I have made many people "Love" their computers again by just installing those free programs.

Okay.  I can agree with you that AVG IS infact, one of the best "free" anti virus apps out there BUT, there is that simple known phrase that goes like this.... " You get what you paid for."  Yes, AVG is trim and doesn't slow down your machine like NAV does but it will slow your machine down just like any other scan tool when it's running.  Also, AVG is slow on updates with it's free version and can't protect other apps on your system like NAV can.  Examples of some other protected apps would be, microsoft word, msn messager, yahoo messanger and yes... even IE-6.  AVG can not interact with them.  But yes, you will loose some performance from your system with NAV over AVG but you will have more overall security, options and up to the minute anti virus definitions with NAV.  Unfortunately, that is at the cost of $30 a year in subscription renewals.

To ALL members of IHD.com I do not endorse ANY other program mentioned here by other members. IHD.com ONLY recommends the programs listed in the first post of this thread. Use "other" programs at your own risk.  :) - Epoman, Owner/Admin

I am not recommending anyone here to use or switch their preferred programs.  I am simply informing others of what other options are available and suggestions on how to preserve the integrity and security of their computers.  But as Epoman has already noted, use ANY application at your own risk.  Just make sure you are properly informed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 10:27:04 PM by sandmansa » Logged
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 11:15:08 PM »

AVG Anti-Virus is a great FREE program and does not slow you system like Norton Systemworks. I have made many people "Love" their computers again by just installing those free programs.

Okay.  I can agree with you that AVG IS infact, one of the best "free" anti virus apps out there BUT, there is that simple known phrase that goes like this.... " You get what you paid for."  Yes, AVG is trim and doesn't slow down your machine like NAV does but it will slow your machine down just like any other scan tool when it's running.  Also, AVG is slow on updates with it's free version and can't protect other apps on your system like NAV can.  Examples of some other protected apps would be, microsoft word, msn messager, yahoo messanger and yes... even IE-6.  AVG can not interact with them.  But yes, you will loose some performance from your system with NAV over AVG but you will have more overall security, options and up to the minute anti virus definitions with NAV.  Unfortunately, that is at the cost of $30 a year in subscription renewals.

I am not recommending anyone here to use or switch their preferred programs.  I am simply informing others of what other options are available and suggestions on how to preserve the integrity and security of their computers.  But as Epoman has already noted, use ANY application at your own risk.  Just make sure you are properly informed.

Let me guess Norton came pre-installed on your system right? When ever I fix a computer for someone, the problem is ALWAYS spyware or viruses, they say their system crashes or is slow. I just do a format and a re-install and then I install those 5 programs which were chosen by IT manager friends of mine as the best set of programs. I set up the auto-updates and turn on AVG FREE Email scanner, disable "Emails to be read in HTML" and they are set, I never have complaints, in fact I call up months later and ask them hows their computer and they always say the same thing "runs great, thank you so much" The free programs vs. the PAID programs are very similar, the paid programs may pickup a few more viruses when they are tested against paid programs but from what I read it's a small percentage like 5% to 8% And resources are very important to people and the main reason most IT guys dislike Norton is because the virus writers are targeting Nortons update feature. So many times I have checked peoples computers and Norton has not updated for months AND they are still within their subscription time frame. Add that with it being a resource hog and cost money, to me and MANY people think AVG is a great program. And I have no idea what you mean when you say AVG is slow on updates, AVG updated my virus definitions on 8/5/06 that was yesterday and before that is was 2 days ago it last updated the "defs" and I as for your slow down comment, just running them when you are sleeping and it's not a problem. I am just telling my members what I prefer and it's up to them to make their own minds up. So you enjoy Norton and I will enjoy AVG for FREE. I have been using it for years and MANY, MANY people I help and we ALL love it.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
sandman

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 12:29:52 AM »

Let me guess Norton came pre-installed on your system right?

Good guess but you have guessed wrong.  I got Norton Systemworks for free ( along with other programs ) when I use to do service work for Smart Comp computers.  I had used AVG in the past but haven't recently because I have found that external scanners such as nortons online scan or mcafee stinger works just as good, or if not, better then AVG for removing very stubborn viruses.

The final line is, I am not knocking AVG.  In all do respect, AVG is just about as good as NAV or mcafee at detecting viruses.  But when money becomes the deciding factor then AVG just can't be beat.  It's just that some programs are not up to everyone expectations.  Just like some people don't like IE or Windows.  The choice is entirely up to the user.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 02:16:47 AM »

And I have no idea what you mean when you say AVG is slow on updates, AVG updated my virus definitions on 8/5/06 that was yesterday and before that is was 2 days ago it last updated the "defs" and I as for your slow down comment, just running them when you are sleeping and it's not a problem.

I think what Sandman meant by "slow on updates" is that it slows down your system while it is updating .. which I have noticed myself as I am running the free AVG. So many times I have paused it because it is lagging my system so much. Since then I have changed the time that it scans at .. but since I am a night owl I never know what time I will be on the computer :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »

I use Advast myself.

Updates itself just about everyday.

Much quicker than Norton and McAfee and I have never had it bog down my computer like those two did.  Nor have I ever got a virus in the 8 months or so I have used it.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 11:40:38 AM »

Thanks to all who replied about my Trojan problem. Epoman, you were right on with the AVG, it found and fixed my problems, you are the BOSS  ;D

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 01:07:09 PM »

AVG, it found and fixed my problems, you are the BOSS  ;D
Wow that is great! So your IE works now?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »