I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Hair Loss
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair Loss  (Read 24414 times)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »

I was on dialysis for 3 years and had terrible trouble with my hair falling out. Since i have very long hair it was
 very noticeable and eventually the doctors changed my regime for a heparin free dialysis, using citric acid
instead. It instantly made a difference. Particularly if you have a line instead of a fistula. Check what's being
used.

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »

Nephrologists as a whole could care less about the side effects when it comes to Dialysis.  As long as you're meeting your lab goals and they're getting paid by the insurance company, they're really not concerned.

My Greek Goddess friend recommended Nioxin because she had similar difficulty with hair loss.

I've used it for the past six months and although it doesn't seem to help grown any new hair, it does help the hair you have grow thicker.

Like we need any other indignities in addition to Dialysis huh?

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
lruffner

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »

Hair Loss aka alopecia:

Alopecia

Alopecia probably is more common in ESRD than in the general population; however, alopecia has not been studied specifically in ESRD, and no reports exist regarding its prevalence or etiology. Likely causes of alopecia in ESRD include SLE or chronic telogen effluvium. Chronic telogen effluvium may be related to the multitude and severity of illnesses encountered by patients, or it may be related to commonly used medications such as heparin, antihypertensives, or lipid-lowering agents.

from: Dermatologic Manifestations of Renal Disease http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic550.htm

I have had flare-ups of Alopecia since I was a kid and it is no picnic. Thankfully, I just get the bald spots, while others lose every bit of their body hair. Luckily, it has only happened to me 3 times, but the spots were as big as an extra large egg. The worst of those times, it was on the top-front-center of my head and was so humiliating. I had nightmares of looking like Gallagher the comedian..lol...good thing I have terribly thick hair! Anyway, the best person to see for this is a dermatologist. They will either inject some type of steroid into the spot or use an air gun to blow it in. I have had both done and it worked, but took a while, and the hair comes back like baby hair.

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »

Yeah, my hair started thinning and falling out; I'm getting bald for the first time in my life.  I've started taking a renal vitamin with zinc, we'll see if it helps.

Between ESRD and HD, my hair is falling out, my skin has gotten rough and sandpapery, and due to pains in my bones, I walk up a flight of stairs like an old man.  (I'm seriously thinking of buying a cane.)  And with the skin and hair changes, I look much, much older too.  All this in the space of a couple of years.

Ever seen that old Star Trek episode in which they contract this aging disease that causes them to age decades in a few days?  I feel like I've caught that disease.  Maybe I have.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »

I'm sorry your doctor doesn't think it's important.
My daughter lost over half her hair in the first 6 months of dialysis. We got some Nioxin Shampoo and I think it helped, or maybe she just was stable, but her hair grew back over time.

Yikes!!! My hair is so fine and there's so little of it to begin with! I've already got my wig picked out!  It's my hair cut only shinier and thicker!   ;D

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
BRANDY

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »

I also have awful thinning of my hair and rough skin  , its like I have no oil in my skin. And my fingernails split,  I have them cut back to the quic k My soles of my feet are awful, I put lotion on my heels but it doesnt seem to help.  I ordered some lotion from  Avon, she said it would  do the trick   We will see.  I dont know what would help any of itAny ideas to the problems?   :thx;

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »

For my dry skin (especially my horribly dry, cracked feet), I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. It works great! But it's their cream, not the lotion.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »

A high quality DHA fish oil supplement might help a bit.  I take 4 capsules a day of Ascenta HP.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 07:22:56 PM »

I take an Omega 3-6-9 vitamin twice a day. Is that pretty much the same thing? If it is, it's not doing anything about the dry skin for me.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 06:16:19 AM »

Yes Paddbear, it's an Omega 3 fish oil blend.  The one I take is a concentrated high potency formula and I have found it beneficial for hair shininess and my complexion but I take it really for it's benefits to heart health and possible cholesterol-lowering properties.  However, when we are really ill, any benefits at all may seem insignificant or non-existent.  I don't think there are any miracle pills or foods out there, just a bunch of little things that might may a difference when they're all added together.  I also use masses of creams and lotions.  I try all different kinds and like to slather myself from top to toe after a shower.  At the very moment I'm using Crabtree and Evelyn's Rosewater and Glycerine Body Cream but I've tried just about everything.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »

Now you all have me freaked out! I only started dialysis 4 months ago and have not cut my hair sense I started. It’s longer than it ever was, including in high school. Does anyone find time to cut your hair? Oh well, I will just get a shirt that says something about my hair and my cool vein in my arm. Bring it on!!

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »

I have lots of hair (side effect of years of cyclosporine I think)  but some often falls  if I'm stressed, as in sick.  It does seem to grow back regularly and I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner which my hair stylist recommended.

Is this shampoo good to use while on Prograf?  I have super thick hair and it usually comes out quite regularly to absolutely no ones notice.  But now that I'm on Prograf I can create a hairball every time I wash my hair.  It  doesn't feel as thick these days.

Does this side effect last forever on the Prograf or does your body eventually even out?

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 07:18:34 PM »

You can try the Nioxin Kelly, it won't hurt.  My hairdresser recommended it to me a couple years ago and I use it almost every time I shampoo which is only once a week.  I used to wash it every day or two but it that stripped too much oil from the hair and it's much much better since I wash it less.  I've lost about half my hair now since switching to Cellcept from Cyclosporine and no immunosuppressants for the past five months or so.  Lots of little new hairs growing in but it falls out faster than it grows.   I think I'm going to be on Prograf also post-transplant so we'll be comparing notes for sure.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 08:06:36 PM »

Can I have some of that hair that's falling out Kelly? I'd love to have some thick hair! I could make a wig!  :rofl;

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »

Sadly enough, you COULD make a wig!   :rofl;

Monrein, so is it the Prograf or the CellCept that causes the hair to fall out?  I'm enjoying not having to shave my legs regularly - I'm enjoying that a lot!  But I'm starting to get concerned about my head.   I don't wash my hair everyday.  I usually go 2-3 days before washing it.  I usually wet it everyday, because if I didn't it would be ca-razy and wild and people would stare for sure!  I also found a great serum called Bio Silk.  It's expensive, but I buy the sample size for .99.  It makes my hair super soft and not so prone to tangles.

Also, Monrein, please email me the hospital address you will be at for your surgery on the 23rd.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 03:59:09 AM »

I've never taken Prograf before but I've been told that I'll likely be on it this time round.  In my case, it was the cyclosporine that made me grow masses of hair...everywhere, I might add.  Head, chin and upper lip, peach fuzz on cheeks and earlobes (small plush animals look out, here comes competition) and thighs as hairy as a hobbit.  So when they switched me to cellcept all that hair growth levelled off and I started losing hair instead.  I think some of the loss was probably also due to my being ill again and pre-dialysis, not eating anything and vomiting.  I don't know what will happen this time.  Cyclo made my hair coarse and curly, Cellcept made it go straighter again, transplant failure made it fall out and now the next adventure will hold who-knows-what-surprise.

I'll email you the address when I look it up.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »

They had me on Minoxidil for blood pressure and Lordy  did I grow hair everywhere. I was looking like a hobbit for awhile,there.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 11:23:08 AM »

:yahoo; Does anyone know about hair loss from dialysis? I have started dialysis only 2 months ago and my hair has been falling out. I used to have really thick hair. I asked the doctor and he just poo-pooed it. Its not his hair that is falling out by the gobs.
I also have had my hair falling out as well and then it grew back again. It could be a shock reaction. It also could be connected to suffering from Systemic Lupus or MCTD and the hair loss could be due to a flare-up. Good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »