I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  first time going on holiday ..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: first time going on holiday ..  (Read 3736 times)
mick_and_pip

« on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »

hey, we just came across your site and thought you guys might be able to help us,..
well, its going to be my partners first holiday abroad with CAPD, we have been researching and decided to go to gran canaria,. the thing is we are a bit unsure as to what to do next, first off we went to the hospital today and got a holiday request form, but they never really explained to us what happens next, and being his first holiday abroad he is feeling quite nervous about 'what if the stuff doesnt turn up'.. please if anyone could help us as to what does happen next and if we could go ahead and book without having confirmation from hotel and just confirmation from fresenous that the country is fine!,.. also, someone please give him reassurance that they will turn up the other end,.. thanks alot. Pip.  :cuddle;
breezysummerday

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »

Visit:  dialysis.org/resources/tom/200606  or
         Billpeckham.com.  He has a travel information page

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:55:45 PM by breezysummerday » Logged

caregiver to Ray
renal failure 6/08
listed 7/09
~thank you epoman~
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but have a wonder trip/vacation!   When you two return come back and tell us all about it!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »

Mick and Pip. Am I correct in assuming you are British and therefore come under the NHS? When you have filled the form in you need to take it back to your clinic where they should have a person specially employed as a travel coordinator. You need to find out from the hospital whether or not Fresenious will deliver the fluid bags only or all the other peripherals like minicaps etc. I use Baxter products and they will only deliver the PD fluid and tubing cartridges (CCPD) but any peripherals you have to take yourself.

About two weeks before you depart you will receive a letter confirming your stock and delivery details and the address of your nearest hospital with PD facilities. Check this thoroughly and have your clinic rectify any mistakes immediately. I'm not sure whether or not you need to contact your destination address yourself to inform them to take delivery. It did not apply to me because we a staying with friends who live there.

Don't worry about delivery, remember  Fresenious are a worldwide organization and there a local depots in most major cities.

I myself am shortly going to Lanzarote and what I have described above is the procedure I have gone through.
Best of Luck and have a great Holiday!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:01:37 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »