I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 02:22:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Goodbye Duh-Vita
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Duh-Vita  (Read 13308 times)
Mr.N

« on: August 31, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »

After a frustrating 22 months with Davita, I put in a request online to change centers to one closer to my home. After 3 weeks, I had no response or inquiries. Last week I contacted Fresenius and they're opening a new state of the art facility close to my home with heated, massage chairs, and cable and internet access TVs at each chair.  I'm almost excited about going to dialysis now (almost).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:36:29 PM by Mr.N » Logged
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:50:02 AM »

do people eat emus?
and sounds like your dialysis will be like going to a spa
-message chairs- I could use that during hour 4-
and heated ----- wow
I am glad for you
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »

Good for you!  That is the only thing that will get their attention is competition for the dollar.  Thank god you have a choice.  Although there is not a shortage of patients.  

That is my point about transplants.  There is no competition so the transplant people have no customer service.  They make the rules and we have no choice but to follow.  If we had private pay transplants.... a choice.... the current transplant people would be considerably nicer to us.

Mr.N

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »

do people eat emus?
and sounds like your dialysis will be like going to a spa
-message chairs- I could use that during hour 4-
and heated ----- wow
I am glad for you

we have a small population at my school that were originally going to be used for "farming" (meat, emu oil, etc). But it never materialized because they didn't want to freak the kids out. I feel I've had no choice in my treatment since I started. My doctor automatically set me up with DaVita while I was in the hospital, and I later found out he's the chairman of that site. I didn't even know there were other companies that could used, and since I have at least another 3 yrs until I come up for a transplant, I felt it was time for an upgrade.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »

Taking control is the first step to successful dialysis and good health.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »

As some have already stated, it is fortunate that you have a choice of dialysis facilities.  Many patients, particularly those in rural areas, do not have a choice.  I am very glad that you have taken a stand for yourself and it is especially satisfying that you were able to tell your current provider why you were leaving.  Maybe they will take your comments into consideration and things will improve for the patients who remain there.  (Doubtful, I know, but we can hope!).

Congratulations on your move!   :2thumbsup;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Wallyz

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »

Good move on your part.  Congratulations.  Is this site going to have nocturnal available?
Mr.N

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »

Good move on your part. Congratulations. Is this site going to have nocturnal available?

Not as of right now and even if they did, I wouldn't want to spend my nights at a clinic.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »

Congratulations  :thumbup; I hope the new center works out good for you.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:25:08 AM »

They put me on their patient list to start as soon as the site opens in 3 weeks (having private insurance may be a reason they're so accommodating).

Glad to hear you are trying to improve your situation by changing clinics regardless of where it is you go.  Having private insurance may be the key to getting into that clinic right now though because if they are just opening it they can only have private insurance patients until the state gives them their medicare approval.  Once that happens they can then have medicare patients because they can bill for them.

It's not easy being green.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »

i can hear Epoman giving a loud 'Hurrah'!  This would have pleased him no end!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
bioya

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:30 AM »

When Duh-Vita loses a Hipper patient (high income w/ private insurance) they crap a ton. Honestly, there are meetings and teleconferences held to keep the private insurance patient. I was told as FA of DaVita I had to do whatever it took to keep a insurance patient.  Your Duh-Vita FA is right now getting her/his butt ripped by her/his ROD. 

Now having said that, its not right, but thats the way it is. I do congratulate you and hope you enjoy your new clinic. I hope all patients that are abused and/or intimidated by Duh-Vita will stand up and say 'no more'.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »

I wish you hadn't told me that, Bioya....it's like giving me a loaded gun.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
bioya

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »

Flip. Check out this job posting from Duh-Vita. Look at the left at the job title...

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?job_did=J3G6BN6XHKB87LP8K3D

Job title is.. "Patient Relations Liaison - Casa DaVita - Hipper Growth"

I am telling you we had special meetings and teleconferences from the higest levels. If we lost a Hipper patient (insurance) we got our butt ripped. You lose a couple, and your done as a FA. Our instructions were that we did, whatever it took, no matter what, to please the Hipper patient. I was even told that if a Hipper patient wanted to switch shifts and/or chairs and/or times, I did whatever it took, even if it meant (and it did in this case) moving a patient from their time/shift/chair who has been in that time for more than five years, just to make sure the Hipper patient did not bolt to another unit.  If you have private insurance, and you go to Duh-Vita, use your clout now.. Hell, tell the FA to bring you a newspaper every morning along with the foot massage that you will require during each treatment.
In Duh-Vitas world. Hippers rule!!!
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »

My Duh-Vita home staff are awesome, but Duh-Vita themselves are greedy, filthy pig-dogs.  :banghead; Oh, wait. Why should I insult pigs or dogs?

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Vlynn

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:04 AM »

I'm not sure where you live in NY but that facility sounds amazing! I hope it all works out to you . For the last couple of months I have been researching dialysis clinics to take my mom to and I finally we chose a place called IHS Queens Dialysis at South Flushing we decided to do their home program!! and it has been awesome! Now she has more time with me  :cuddle;

Good move on your part. Congratulations. Is this site going to have nocturnal available?

Not as of right now and even if they did, I wouldn't want to spend my nights at a clinic.
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »

Flip. Check out this job posting from Duh-Vita. Look at the left at the job title...

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?job_did=J3G6BN6XHKB87LP8K3D

I am telling you we had special meetings and teleconferences from the higest levels. If we lost a Hipper patient (insurance) we got our butt ripped. You lose a couple, and your done as a FA. Our instructions were that we did, whatever it took, no matter what, to please the Hipper patient. I was even told that if a Hipper patient wanted to switch shifts and/or chairs and/or times, I did whatever it took, even if it meant (and it did in this case) moving a patient from their time/shift/chair who has been in that time for more than five years, just to make sure the Hipper patient did not bolt to another unit.  If you have private insurance, and you go to Duh-Vita, use your clout now.. Hell, tell the FA to bring you a newspaper every morning along with the foot massage that you will require during each treatment.

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
dialysisbiller

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »

I read this and wondered why you didn't stand up to that? In the end you left anyway, but why didn't you go to your ROD and higher and help them to understand your view as an FA?  Yes, Hippers bring the  money in the keep some centers running but in the end, especially as an FA why didn't you fight the whole 'switching chairs' problem?  Maybe your ROD was the problem for your division and not the entire company as a whole? Tho, you either love it or hate it, the DaVita 'culture'. (I'm guessing you dont love it)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »

dialysisbiller, please check some of the older posts. We lost our dear sweet "flip" some months ago.  :waving;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
dialysisbiller

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »

'flip'? I don't know if you mean 'bioya' and if so, my apologies

there are ALOT of posts to go through but I'll try to pay attention to dates, some are OLD posts that i have read so, won't respond to those then
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »

The way I read it, dialysisbiller was talking in regards to bioya, not flip (who passed away).
Trying to catch up on all old post is a never ending process and will take a large amount of time. I'm still attempting to do that.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
dialysisbiller

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »

thank you, I was talking about bioya leaving the center instead of fighting for the right of the patients. I'm sure it a tough job but sometimes you gotta do those things to get what's right.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »

I was rereading this thread and I wondered why did I ask if people eat emus?
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 02:11:03 AM »

I wondered that myself :rofl;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 03:59:44 AM »

:guitar: because you're Twirl!  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »