I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 11:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What do you wish your family understood about kidney disease?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you wish your family understood about kidney disease?  (Read 42352 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »

I was thinking about how much I have learned through reading the threads on IHD. I feel like I have become much more aware and empathetic to the challenges and changes that kidney patients face. I am so grateful to have the information available. But not all caregivers have this opportunity. I guess my question is: If you could hand your family or friends a book or brochure or video that would enlighten them, what would you want them to know?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »

About all the emotions and extreme tiredness sometimes.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »

That I can't have cheese on my hamburgers!!!   Jesus how many times do I have to say it!!!

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

this is funny I was trying to think of a post about this very thing
I had a better day today---- cooked, cleaned, fed the animals, got some other odd jobs things done and when my husband comes home he will think I am cured------ all is back again======= I am already tired and so tried of being tired------ husband will say -"your color is good today, you must feel great----- I have always been a natural tan but I think dialysis patients turn kind of brown- baking a pie does not make my kidneys pee like they used too.......Lord knows or we would all be in the pie baking business........
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »

yea, when honey calls he says "you sound so good I forget you are sick".....how does sick sound???  could be on ignorant things being said too.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
karen547

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »

I think sometimes people forget that just because I have CKF, I can go out and have fun sometimes. We are not dying!
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »

Since I was not the one with CKD but Dustin was I was so SICK of hearing "so when is your transplant???" I remember when my brother in law asked I said are you VOLUNTEERING??????????????????????????????????????? Or why does Dustin have to sleep all the time. Look up the word ANEMIC!!!! Why are you so pale???? Oh gee, I could go on forever!!

Lori/Indiana r.i.p. Dustin I love you!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »

I wish they all understood the concept of limited energy.  Yes, I can spend a day at work, or cleaning the house - but only if I have a day to rest before and after.  When I say I'm tired, if means that if I keep going, I'm going to be fine while I'm with you, but I'm going to spend the next day puking.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sickofbeingsick

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

I'd want them to know how ESRD is just as devastating emotionally as it is physically.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »

All of the above.
I think my family has become used to me the way I am and forget how hard it is on me both physically and emotionally.
I would love to take a week off and do no cleaning, no cooking, no activity whatsoever except what I wanted. No demands
with no guilt.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:01:13 PM »

Not having any close family, it's hard to answer. There are days when I don't want to get up early but I have to. I know I have to fend for myself and I realize it makes me stronger but I still have days when I would just like to rest.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

We are all singing the same song!   :guitar:   I push and push when people are around and then collapse when I am alone.  My husband works 3-11pm, so he only sees me in the morning most days.  He doesn't even hear me up at night when I am vomiting or just not sleeping.  There is no explaining the level of "tired".  If one more healthy person tells me how tired they are or how bad they feel because they couldn't sleep last night, I am going to hit them! :Kit n Stik;    Treat us normal but respect and remember we are dealing with a life altering  disease.  

Sunny is right, family becomes use to the way we are.  And it is both physical and emotional.    

Good post, Okarol

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »

I would like my family to understand the seriousness of the disease even though I have had a transplant. I am not cured and they think I am. I still feel tired and sometimes barely get through the day. I also wish people at work would understand more about dr's appointments and leaving early for dialysis when I was on it. And, I would want my hubby to understand why I had NO interest in sex while I was on dialysis.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »

I would like my family to understand the seriousness of the disease even though I have had a transplant. I am not cured and they think I am.

This about sums it up for me even though I am not close with my family. I live with them, but I'm not close.

I push and push when people are around

I also push myself to much and people don't understand this how much or how hard I push myself so I have a sense of feeling like a normal person.

Also, wish they understood INSOMNIA. No I didn't fall asleep with the TV on, yes I pretend to be sleeping till you leave, I will eventually get some rest.

More than anything, I wish they understoood about visual impairment/blindness. Sometimes I can't see or recognize you or what you are pointing at (especially in bad light or to bright of a condition)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:29:40 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Wayne

Martin (the snorer) & Mack (cat w/renal failure)

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »

I have to agree with the pushing and pushing.  My two nephews came to stay with my wife and I about a month ago and they wanted to go to the zoo.  So me being the loving uncle I am,  ;D , I took them.  We hadn't been there an hour and they were complaining they were tired.  They are young so they don't really understand what is going on with me so I just used the age issue to make them feel guilty.  I told them as long as my old behind was still going, they could keep going.  Of course, I paid for it later when I wanted to sleep for 2 days straight.  I wish my family would understand that when they are visiting and I am sleeping in, it's not because I am trying to be rude....I am tired and I need my rest!  Thank God my wife understands. :2thumbsup;

Happily Married for 11 Wonderful Years!!! :-)
3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
Gramapat

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »

I would like for my family to understand the tiredness.  The tired to the core of your being when you haven't done a thing.  The complete exhaustion at times after 5 minutes of cleaning. 

I really don't think a person whose kidneys work can ever understand that.  When I say I'm tired, they tell me how tired they are also and I just shut up because comparing their tiredness to mine is so ridiculous.  It's obvious they have no idea about kidney failure. 

I am trying to educate them little by little but I think my family is mentally challenged when it comes to learning about my health.    :banghead;
CatEars

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 02:41:49 AM »

I was going to a therapist to deal with some emotional issues, in particular a job from hell with God sent insurance but also my kidney failure.  I had been seeing my therapist for at least five sessions.  My kidney failure came up in every session mainly because she kept confussing renal failure with cirrhosis of the liver.  I'm not even sure you can live without a liver and yet, with out fail, she would always ask "so you're waiting for a liver transplant?"  It made me so depressed because here I am paying someone to be empathic toward me and my condition and she couldn't even remember what condition I had.  So I wish my family could understand how lonely it is to feel surrounded by people like that.

"Seize the moment 'cause tomorrow you might be dead."  -Buffy, "Welcome to the Hellmouth"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »

Cat, you need to call out your therapist on that not-so-minor confusion.  You can tell her that you feel as if she's only listening with one ear instead of two and that there is a difference between liver and kidney failure, just as there is a difference between diabetes and asthma.  Sometimes the devil is in the details as the saying goes and the details of what we cope with are important to a true understanding of what we must contend with.

Don't let the therapist be another source of frustration for you.  She needs to pay more attention.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 06:28:40 AM »

I think i agree with all the above , there are so many things i wish people would try to understand. I even get from the PD clinic nurses when i go , 'oh you look well' Yes, its amazing what make -up can do !  While i would never place one illness above another , many people are more sympathetic towards cancer patients , they dont understand more about it , but if you have cancer you must be really ill , if you have kidney failure ,well dialysis will cure you once you have done it and doesnt it mean you just cant pee ? No one seems to understand all the other complications that go with kidney failure and if i happen to mention one of them its like ..so how come you got that ? You want to try to educate people but sometimes i really feel like giving up!!!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
cherpep

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »

I wish they would understand that I need days off on a regular basis.  It would be wonderful if I didn't have to ask them for it, but they just gave them to me.  Wouldn't it be great if 1/week I arrived home from my job to dinner being ready in a clean house where I could just relax for a little while and enjoy my family or take a nap (before doing dialysis).  For 1 day, I wouldn't have to plan, purchase, and prepare dinner - that someone else did all the thinking AND the work.   A day that I don't have to assign tasks to get the housework done, but they just get done.  I wish they would understand that the exhaustion isn't just physical exhaustion, it's mental too.  I wish they would realize that just because I took a nap last week, doesn't mean that I don't need another one the following week, or even the following day.  I wish they would realize that I can still function and be a mom, I just need more breaks than I used to, and they need to be total breaks.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »

Everything above, and Otto is tired of hearing "how long before your kidney gets better now that your on Dialysis". Some people think D fixes your kidneys :banghead; I'm tired of people thinking now that he looks better since starting home-hemo that he no longer is sick, just because he no longer looks like he's dying they think everything is all better.

devon

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »

I'm thankful that my family seems to be getting the idea that when I say, "I'm tired", I am really, really tired.  I've given all I can get. 

For example, yesterday my mom called because we were supposed to get together for dinner out.  I was driving home at the time and just before she called, I was thinking, "All I want to do is go home and get in bed and sleep until tomorrow."  She totally understood when I begged off and supported that.  I was so thankful.  Yes, I wanted to go to dinner with her but I am just hanging on by a thread right now and she understands that.  No guilt, no hurt feelings.  I am so thankful. 

Even my son seems to be coming around nicely to the reality that Dad can't do everything any more.  When I ask him to feed the dogs or take out the trash, he actually does it!  Wow! And he doesn't complain when I get into bed at 8pm!

It's my co-workers and boss that I wish could understand how difficult it is to put in an 8 hour day.  Sometimes I am barely treading water before noon!  They seem to be patient and understanding but I'm still expected to show up five days a week and put in my 40 hours when I'd rather be home resting.  I don't say much about my ESRD because I don't want them to think I'm "sickly" but, well, I AM sickly!  I'm terribly sick. 

-Devon
cherpep

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »

Sometimes I am barely treading water before noon! They seem to be patient and understanding but I'm still expected to show up five days a week and put in my 40 hours when I'd rather be home resting. I don't say much about my ESRD because I don't want them to think I'm "sickly" but, well, I AM sickly! I'm terribly sick.

Amen to that!!!  I'm here at work right now, but barely functioning.  I keep looking at all that space under my desk and George from 'Seinfeld' keeps coming to mind -- where he had the desk configured for a sleeping space underneath.  You're right, we are terribly sick, and for me it's getting increasingly difficult to not let it show. 
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »

The thing I most wished for from my extended family when I first started dialysis was that they would stop saying, "Golly, treatments three times a week!  That's terrible!  How long do you have to put up with that?"
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »

As others have said it, the tiredness. It is undescribeable. From my husband I heard several times, you are going to sleep your life way. The transplant was no picnic. The recovery was very step by step. The meds create chaos for other areas of your body. I try to be thankful for the gift I have been given. I also want to shake people that call off sick because they are tired or have sniffles. I want to tell them push yourself, go to work. If you have a major illness that sick time is like money in the bank.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »