I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Ladies, do you have your nails "done?"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ladies, do you have your nails "done?"  (Read 11466 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: July 30, 2006, 09:10:08 PM »

I like to get a manicure once a month or so when I can afford it.  Not the fake acrylic nails (which I have had before but never last very long) but just a filing/buffing/painting manicure.  I love getting the "American" manicure painting.  Love how it looks.  How about you?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 11:46:04 PM »

I was getting my nails done, unitl stress took over and I went back to biting them.  Got to stop this habit!  I loved getting the nails done in different colors every couple of weeks.  Toenails, too.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:48:34 AM »

What nails!

My fingernails are really soft and always break and my toenails are so iddy biddy small, there is absolutely no point!!!!!  >:D

I wish I had beautiful nails. (just in case there are any genie's or fairy godmothers listening!)  ;)

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:01:36 AM »

I used to have very strong nails. Now they break if I even open a can of pop or bump into a wall :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:10:26 AM »

My nails are done (done chewed to the bone) lol,  only get them done if i am going out, wedding, company party or someplace fancy, after that, if there isnt anything or anwhere to go within a months time,  off they go....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 04:13:51 AM »

I bit my nails solidly all my life until just over a year ago.  For some reason I just stopped and they grew nice and long.  [I was so proud, I even have a video showing them off!] At one point, my daughter hauled me kicking and screaming into a vietnamese salon reeking of acrylic to get my nails 'did'.   But I didn't like that very much.  Earlier this year, I started biting them a bit again, but once again, I stopped.
Once in a mall, someone was selling this thing that buffs your nails.  Maybe some of you know about it - it has three sides.  It works for a while and has your nails looking really nice, but it seems to stop working after a time.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Hephs-little-lady

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:04:37 AM »

Oh yeah, just remembered, I had my nails done once; the day before I got married!  ;)

They only lasted until I got to our honeymoon destination, then they had to go, I couldn't do anything and I kept scratching everyone!  :D

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:10:42 AM »

I bit my nails solidly all my life until just over a year ago.  For some reason I just stopped and they grew nice and long.  [I was so proud, I even have a video showing them off!] At one point, my daughter hauled me kicking and screaming into a vietnamese salon reeking of acrylic to get my nails 'did'.   But I didn't like that very much.  Earlier this year, I started biting them a bit again, but once again, I stopped.
Once in a mall, someone was selling this thing that buffs your nails.  Maybe some of you know about it - it has three sides.  It works for a while and has your nails looking really nice, but it seems to stop working after a time.

I got one of those and love it!  I've only been using it for several weeks though, so maybe it will quit on me soon?  I hope not, I love that thing.

LOL at "get my nails did."  I wasn't sure if anyone would get the reference so I didn't say it. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:12:16 AM by Sara » Logged

Joe died July 18, 2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:04:06 PM »

I have never gotten my nails done professionally.. it would be a nice treat to do so .. I am not a fancy person so I have never done anything that would treat myself. One thing I would like is to get my nails done, get a pedicure and have my brows tweezed professionally :P But .. it costs money and I am so poor that I just can't see myself doing any of those things .. but still it would be a nice gift :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Hephs-little-lady

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »

One thing I would like is to get my nails done, get a pedicure and have my brows tweezed professionally :P 

I love having my brows waxed. Before I moved to London with Heph I used to get them done every two weeks, but I knew the lady who did them and she did them really nice. Down here in London, I haven't found anyone near as good, so just do them myself. It's a nice treat to get them done when I go home to visit my parents though.  ;)

kevno

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »

The thing you Ladies have done to make yourself look, well not bad :-\ I was laughing at Sue the other day waxing her legs. That was until she attacked me with the wax pad or what ever you call it on my arm. Which is now my sore arm. OUCH :o That waxing thing hurts :o As to her nails more like claws,sometimes white at the end, sometimes with pictures on. They hurt to if nipped with or poked with :o I think she likes to pick on poor Innocent, nice, Witty, charming and polite me. ::) Forgot ;D Modest too ;)

Forgot ::) I can not have my nails done Keep chewing them ;D Sue, shouts at me and as a go with a nail file and buffer on them after I have been chewing away on them.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 01:24:07 PM »

haha! Ya, I have never waxed as I am afraid of the pain :P Go figure! Yet I have the 15 gauge needles 3 times a week... wait! What if I put the Emla cream on first? Oooh maybe mix that with the wax and see if that works :P Just kidding :P lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Hephs-little-lady

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 01:33:26 PM »

It doesn't hurt.  >:D

kevno

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 02:58:25 PM »

It does NOT hurt :o My arm bags to differ >:( There again I think Sue enjoyed doing it to me, she peeled it off slowly, not quickly like she does on her legs ::) Anyway how have I got on this tread about lady things :-\

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »

Awww Kevno, but isnt your arm smooth as a baby's bottom??? lol,  now you have to do the other one to match
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:42:54 PM by goofynina » Logged

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »

I like to get my nails painted.  I do all the buffing etc. myself.  I like to get my toes painted, but no scrubbing or anything.  Sends me through the roof.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »

...my toes painted, but no scrubbing or anything.  Sends me through the roof.
Are you ticklish?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kevno

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 06:57:23 AM »

No chance on the other arm thing >:(

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 11:06:54 AM »

Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I do most of the salon type stuff for my wife.  I regularly give her back and foot rubs, pluck her eyebrows, and remove old polish and re-paint her toenails.  She goes to a salon to get her nails professionally done maybe every 6 months or so, but I do it the rest of the year.  Even then she doesn't get anything fancy done to them.  She is not one for waxing either though.  She says it hurts like the dickens so she just shaves.  She is always very grateful for for the fact that I am willing to do what I do.

It's not easy being green.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 11:27:17 AM »

Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I do most of the salon type stuff for my wife.  I regularly give her back and foot rubs, pluck her eyebrows, and remove old polish and re-paint her toenails.  She goes to a salon to get her nails professionally done maybe every 6 months or so, but I do it the rest of the year.  Even then she doesn't get anything fancy done to them.  She is not one for waxing either though.  She says it hurts like the dickens so she just shaves.  She is always very grateful for for the fact that I am willing to do what I do.
You got a brother you want to send to the Caribbean?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »

You got a brother you want to send to the Caribbean?

LOL, sorry can't help you on that one.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »

it hurts like the dickens

I thought that said "hurts like the chickens" lol (Man maybe I should get my eyes checked :P)

I love how nice nails can be done. The girls at my work have them done all the time .. even though they work in a department you would think would require short manly nails  ::)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 04:19:55 PM »

No , not the Carribean, My HOUSE!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 04:20:53 PM »

Wow, I wish Joe would pamper me like you treat your wife, Hawkeye!  He won't even do that stuff for himself.  I have to almost sit on him for him to let me smooth out his nails.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »

Wow, I wish Joe would pamper me like you treat your wife, Hawkeye!  He won't even do that stuff for himself.  I have to almost sit on him for him to let me smooth out his nails.

Marriage is a give take relationship.  These are things she wants done and asks me to do from time to time because she doesn't want to.  In return, if I have had a long day she doesn't hesitate about giving me a back rub either.  Things like this make a marriage work better.  We have been together for 8 years, and married for 3.  In that time we have never had a real argument.  Sure we don't always see eye to eye, but we can always come to a middle ground easy enough.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »