I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Cleansing power: Dialysis prolongs quality of life in kidney disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cleansing power: Dialysis prolongs quality of life in kidney disease  (Read 2876 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: August 17, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »

Cleansing power: Dialysis prolongs quality of life in kidney disease

By Linda Braden Albert
of The Daily Times Staff

Martha Harmon settled into her chair, put her feet up and smoothed a blanket across her legs. Donning a surgical mask, she patiently waited as Janet Lytle, R.N., prepared her for a treatment at Blount Dialysis Center under the watchful eye of Nurse Manager Polly Hall.

Harmon is one of 68 patients who takes dialysis three days each week at the clinic, located at 712 E. Harper Ave., Maryville. Harmon's kidneys failed in August 2007 following chemotherapy for multiple myeloma, a form of leukemia. The cleansing power of dialysis filters waste and excess fluid from her blood, allowing her a better quality of life.

Julia Welch, Harmon's daughter and caregiver, said, "Kidney failure was a side effect of chemo. We never imagined this would happen to Mother, but it did."

Welch complimented the staff at the clinic for the kindness and compassion they have shown to her mother and the other patients. She credited "Miss Polly" Hall -- who plans to retire next year -- with making the difficult life transition easier for both her mother and herself.

Dialysis explained

Hall opened the Blount Dialysis Center, which is privately owned by Dr. Naseen Siddiqi, in September 1999. She supervises 22 staff members, both full-time and part-time. They serve 68 patients in three shifts.

"There are three kinds of dialysis," Hall explained. "Hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and transplant dialysis. What we have here in this clinic is hemodialysis. ... We have a machine that has an artificial kidney. ... We'll pull the blood out, clean it up and put it back in. The process takes three hours to four hours. They get (dialysis) three times a week. That's in order to maintain good quality of life, to be able to feel good, to be able to keep the fluid off."

Kidney diseases may be a result of hypertension, diabetes or genetics, such as in polycystic kidney disease. "These are the main reasons people have kidney disease," Hall said. Accidents, chemotherapy or a major illness may also cause kidney disease.

Most people with kidney disease have been diagnosed with hypertension or diabetes and are followed by their general practitioner. Lab work is done to determine when a nephrologist, a doctor who has been educated and trained in kidney diseases, kidney transplantation and dialysis therapy, should be consulted.

"Some people are followed years before they have to go on dialysis," Hall said.

Misconceptions

A misconception is that once a person is on dialysis, treatments must continue until the end of life.

"That's not true," Hall said. "It depends on what caused it. Sometimes the kidney function will come back, but not always."

For example, a person who is extremely sick may experience kidney failure. "When you're in the hospital and you're full of infection and super-sick, your kidneys are like, 'I think I'll shut down or I'm going to be damaged.' And they shut down. We'll come in and do dialysis. When the body heals, the kidneys will come back, too."

Patients also erroneously believe that when they start dialysis, they won't live long.

"That's not true, either," Hall said. "We want a better quality of life and we want everybody to feel good. We're a treatment center here to make this happen. When people here, a lot of them, get their treatment, they go to work, they go home to do their lawn mowing, do whatever they want to do. They're not all sick. They just have to have this treatment.

"I had this one little lady, when she first came here, she said to me that a neighbor asked her, 'Have they told you how long you're going to live? My mom just lived two weeks.' That little lady was scared to death. I told her, 'I don't have a calendar, I can't tell you how long you're going to live or when you're going to die. I can't tell you that, but I can take care of your kidney function.' She's still with me. She's been on a couple of years and she's doing real good."

Patients do go through a grieving process when they begin dialysis. Hall said this is normal because in a sense, a body part has died. "There's that shock. Can you imagine? Then you have to go on dialysis. They go through (the grieving process) but once they learn that they can feel better, that they can come in here and get a treatment and be able to walk in here and walk back out and feel good -- not everybody feels real good, but a lot of them feel good when they leave. We tell them if they feel pretty good when they walk in here, we're going to make sure they feel good when they walk out."

Compassionate staff

Hall praised her patients and her staff.

"We have a great group of patients and I have a great staff to take care of them," she said. "I want (the patients) to have the best care they can possibly get." As part of this philosophy, state-of-art equipment is used. The building is also being updated and remodeled, with 18 stations to be added to the existing 12.

Compassion is a vital part of the job. "I want my staff to be kind to these people," Hall said. "People deserve that."

Blount Dialysis Center's mission is to improve each patient's quality of life.

"We make life easier for them to do whatever they want to do when they leave here," Hall said. "With renal failure, if they come for their treatments and do what the doctor tells them to do, they can have a good quality of life and be with their family and their grandchildren."

Prevention is key

To prevent or postpone the onset of kidney disease, Hall said the best thing to do is keep blood pressure and diabetes under control with diet and medication and to keep appointments with the doctor.

Dr. Mohammad Shafi, M.D., oversees patients at the dialysis clinic. He is the only full-time nephrologist in Maryville, he said.

"We do our best in terms of our treatment here at the center, but there are a lot of things patients can do at home," Shafi said. "From the dietary standpoint, they are advised to be on a restricted diet, which is a renal diet. They need to follow strictly those guidelines. These patients, because they can't make a lot of urine, have to be on fluid restrictions. These are some of the things we tell patients they have to follow strictly and religiously, or they end up in the hospital."

Shafi said early detection of kidney disease is very important.

"This center treats patients who already have established kidney disease, advanced kidney disease," he said. "But in the outpatient office setting, we try to screen out high-risk patients, which typically have diabetes or high blood pressure or any type of congenital conditions. We screen them out and try to catch the disease at its earliest stages and then, of course, do the appropriate measures to slow it down or keep it from getting worse."

Before dialysis was available, the patient had no option but to die.

"Basically (dialysis) gives them a chance to live, and not only live, but have a very decent life, actually," Shafi said. "We try to provide them a very reasonable quality of life so they can do whatever they are supposed to do on a routine basis in their daily life. This is our main goal and focus."

Originally published: August 17. 2008 3:01AM

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080817/WOMEN/918753860

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »

This article is a little too Pollyanna - as if dialysis is something to enjoy!  :urcrazy;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »

First time I heard kidney transplant as "transplant dialysis"

But saying that my nephrologist would be the one to go to about transplant because they knew about it would be wrongg. Yeah they know about it, but have no idea what actually needs to be done unless he or she is part of the transplant hospital.

The article paints a to rosey picture of dialysis. They should have intervied some of the patients to get a better scope.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »

You beat me to it, Chris. I was also going to comment on "transplant dialysis". Seems kind of like an oxymoron.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »

I think the reporter is Miss Polly's cousin Anna.  How else would you end up with this sort of story?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:01:18 PM by pelagia » Logged

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »

Gonna have to see if I can write to her to give a piece of my thought  :rofl;

So much for that idea. No way to contact writer like in other publications.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:56:16 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »

She's off to see the Wizard............

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »

And I thought using LSD was illegal in the United States!  Given that a 40 year old diabetic patient on dialysis has an 8 year life expectancy, I would not say that it is all that mythological to regard dialysis as leading to rapid death.  Also, while dialysis is occasionally used for purposes of acute renal failure as a bridging treatment until renal function spontaneously return, 99.9% of all time spent on dialysis is for chronic dialysis, which will only end through transplant or death.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »

First time I heard kidney transplant as "transplant dialysis"

But saying that my nephrologist would be the one to go to about transplant because they knew about it would be wrongg. Yeah they know about it, but have no idea what actually needs to be done unless he or she is part of the transplant hospital.

The article paints a to rosey picture of dialysis. They should have intervied some of the patients to get a better scope.

I'm sure glad you explained what she meant. I read through the whole article looking for an explanation of what in the world "transplant dialysis" is!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:31 PM »

I've always been told that a Transplant is just another form of dialysis; it is not a cure.  Sad but true.

Still, this place sounds like Disney Land compaired to most clinics.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »