I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Center
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Center  (Read 5068 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: September 08, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »

You are not going to believe this one!  I had my first meeting with my "Transplant Team" on July 5.  At that time I told them I would like to get started on the work-up in Sacramento and get listed here and in Spokane because I may move if dialysis doesn't go well because I am alone here.  All my family is up in Spokane.  Well, they called me a week later and said "the board doesn't think it is feasible to work you up here if you are just going to move."  WTF?  I went into histerics!  I live here, I own a home here, I work here and I vote here.  But, they don't think it is "feasible" to work me up here.  So, I basically told them that I would not be moving.  So, then they said they would work me up but then required all these rediculous tests.  A heart catheter, a heart stress test, cut off my right leg to make sure I clot properly etc...  I'm going for a kidney transplant, not a heart transplant.  Okay.... so maybe they have their reasons for these test... 

Then in August they call me in to meet with the stupid Social Worker.  I'm thinking it is going to be the usual stupid questions like "How was your relationship with your faaather"? Well, it was an ambush... "You need to decide if you are moving or not."  Well, no I don't.  It is none of their damn business what I do in my future.  I don't have to sign a 10 year contract to stay in the area after a transplant. 

Looong story short...  If they do the workup in Sacramento and I move to Spokane and receive a kidney transplant, Spokane gets the money... not Sacramento.  Medicare pays after the transplant.  Can you F'n believe that?

They don't care about my well being or my overall recovery of life.  All they care about is the mighty dollar. 

Who says organs aren't bought and sold!!   >:D

Darla~

LifeOnHold

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:20:15 PM »

You mean you DARE to want the ability to do what you want with your life?  Then why are you looking for a transplant?   :)

I had several run-ins with my transplant social worker... I felt like I was being picked on until some other transplant patients said that she was calling them on the weekends to see if they were 'engaging socially!'  I was wondering when we'd all have microchips implanted so we could be shocked if we didn't get enough 'socialization' on the weekends!   I think that social worker should have had a mandatory psych evaluation like we all did!

How about the patients who are made to get 'alcohol counseling' because they admit that they have a couple of beers a week?  I guess the only thing to do is lie your butt off when they ask you anything personal...  I know that if I ever get another transplant, nothing that's not directly related to my surgery will be discussed.  They can do drug and alcohol tests on me if they want to be bastards, but no way will I ever volunteer information again.  I was labeled as 'delusional' because I said I felt better after my transplant-- WTF???  I thought that was the whole point of getting a transplant!  So, you're only allowed to feel as good as they think you should be... I was only getting a kidney, not a SOUL, for God's sake!

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 08:48:51 AM »

Yeah, I think I've learned my lesson.  I am going to be "Mary" mother of Jesus from now on.  I know when I had emergency surgery on some diverticulitis (I'm sure by now you know I can't spell) and then they gave me food 3 days later and my intestines exploded and I had to have a colostomy (shit bag) created they put in my file I was showing signs of "depression."  Well, who woldn't?  Was I supposed to be all cheery because they f'd up?  I had take-down surgery 9 months later so at least that part of my life is normal.  But, that is why I can't go on CAPD.  To much scar tissue.  I hate all Medical Personnel.  I love to see the nurses strike because they don't make enough money.  I hope they all get fired and we hire people who want to be nurses because they care about people.  Not for making $68K a year and working 3 days a week!  Darla~ :-\

Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:49:54 AM »

Speaking  of  TRANSPLANT  TEAMS,      I  just  called  mine,  and  I'm  waiting  on  insurance  authorization to  make  an  appt  to  meet  with  them.        What  kind of  questions  should  I  expect?          I  was  told  by  my  friend  Tish  that                  "When Stanford does schedule your evaluation visit just be calm I know that's easier said than done, but sometimes if you look to nervous , and you have to see the social worker/psychologist they might think something other than your just nervous .......I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes they like to read into thing's that aren't there , and also don't tell them anything negative and  if you can don't tell them anything personal unless you really have to.       anything else  I  should  be  aware  of  ???????

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 02:46:08 PM »

Good advice your friend gave you.  By now my Social Worker thinks I'm Psyco!  Just smile a lot and answer all her stupid questions.  "What was your relationship like with your Father.""????  Stupid questions like that!  What the hell does that have to do with your transplant.  I had my first transplant 17 years!  That should be enough to show them I know how to take care of one. 

LifeOnHold

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 04:21:44 PM »

I'd ask the social worker flat out, "What does my relationship with my father have to do with my suitability for a transplant?"  I mean, unless your father is the one giving you the kidney, what the hell difference does it make?

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Wizard

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »

NO! NO! NO!   Do not be casual with these people they will screw up your entire lifes!
Answer the questions like a good little catholic girl is supposed too!
Never give them any ammunition.
It took me years to get on the list and several surgeries and after my general practicioner called and balled them out for not placing me on the list!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »