I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  High cholesterol Triglyceride and LDLC 7 weeks post tx???
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High cholesterol Triglyceride and LDLC 7 weeks post tx???  (Read 12363 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »

Be careful of one thing.  Do not do as I did and put the fish oil capsule in your pocket to "take later" then forget and they get washed!  Your clothes will stink to high heaven!  I'm embarrassed to say I've done this more than once!   :shy;      I had to soak the load of laundry in vinagar and wash multiple times to get the fish smell out!   yuk!!!    :puke;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »

Ewwwww.... I will definately not put them in my pocket... LOL......

:flower;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »

If they smell that bad when you wash them, there is no way I am gonna put them in my mouth  :puke; I don't want to taste anything of fish.
I dislike fish food and smell very much. Don't expect me to go to any Aquariums or seafood restaurants.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »

Ewww.... do they taste fishy when you take them?

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »

You can get ones that are flavoured.  Lemon or strawberry I think.  They don't taste fishy to me, as they're gelatin capsules but I'm the far far extreme of non-picky around tastes.  Prednisone and all the other crap we swallow every day tastes way nasty and I just throw back the whole lot and it's done.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

Flax seed oil capsules will provide the Omega 3 that you need but don't have the taste problem.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »

Looked at the pharmacy today, no flavored fish oil capsules nor is flax seed on the shelf. There was something mixed with flax and cod oil.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »

Looked at the pharmacy today, no flavored fish oil capsules nor is flax seed on the shelf. There was something mixed with flax and cod oil.

My health food store keeps the flax seed oil in the refrigerator.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 04:20:16 AM »

You should keep flax seed oil, or even ground flax seed or whole in the fridge and same goes for fish oil in whatever form.  The quality of the fish oil is crucial and cod liver oil is not recommended.  Fish oil is high in EPA and DHA while flax seed oil is high in ALA (which if you get enough can make EPA and DHA in the body).  I was told that good fish oil is best but I also used to add ground flax seed to my cereal for fiber as well as the other benefits.  A good health food store is your best bet on the fish oil front and Costco type stores are probably the worst in terms of the quality of the fish involved.  These fatty fish can contain significant contaminants so it's wise to be cautious about brand. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »

When I was a child mom made me take liguid cod liver oil.  A teasspoon of the oil and a round red sugary candy after. it tasted AWFUL!!  I still can't stand to look at the candy that she used to give me after. I can taste the cod liver oil when I see the candy  :puke;  The pills I bought have a coating and are lemon scentd so no smell or aftertaste at all!!  I love fish anyway but not the cod liver oil I used to have to take. later in the fall we will catch our own mackeral. Nothing like a nice fresh mackeral cooked!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »

There is a bit of controversy about whether or not most folks can turn the ALA from flax oil into DHA and EPA.  Vegetarians will probably want the flax oil, but others may prefer the fish oil, keeping in mind the possibility of contaminants.  Many of the oily fish that are used for oil extraction (e.g. menhaden by the company Omega Protein), grow fast and are harvested young.  As a result, they are not as likely to accumulate contaminants as something like a halibut or shark. One last consideration is that fish harvest for oil is increasingly controversial from an environmental standpoint as it may not be sustainable.

I like the mayoclinic site for rating the health benefits of various supplements.  They give grades at the bottom of each page that make it really easy to understand the "state of the science." This link will take you to the page on fish oil:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »

Totally confused now on what to take that is not fish based. Sorry, but just the thought of or reading the ingredient of something that contains fish makes me think of the smell and not want to take it. I may have a fishphobia, or that I just can't stand the taste and smell of it.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Totally confused now on what to take that is not fish based. Sorry, but just the thought of or reading the ingredient of something that contains fish makes me think of the smell and not want to take it. I may have a fishphobia, or that I just can't stand the taste and smell of it.

If you can't take the fish oil, take flax oil, or try some of the foods that are high in ALA and see if it helps. You can get it flax oil in capsules, just like the fish oil.

Here's an excerpt from the American Heart Association page on fish oil and other foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids for fighting heart disease. (DHA, EPA and ALA or LNA are all omega-3 fatty acids)

"Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids

AHA Recommendation
Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of — or who have — cardiovascular disease.

We recommend eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times a week.  Fish is a good source of protein and doesn’t have the high saturated fat that fatty meat products do.  Fatty fish like mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon are high in two kinds of omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

To learn about omega-3 levels for different types of fish — as well as mercury levels, which can be a concern — see our Encyclopedia entry on Fish, Levels of Mercury and Omega-3 Fatty Acids.

We also recommend eating tofu and other forms of soybeans, canola, walnut and flaxseed, and their oils. These contain alpha-linolenic acid (LNA),  which can become omega-3 fatty acid in the body. The extent of this modification is modest and controversial, however. More studies are needed to show a cause-and-effect relationship between alpha-linolenic acid and heart disease."

There's also a table of recommended doses:
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
del
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 05:53:51 AM »

The omega 3 pills I bought have absolutely no fishy smell or taste. They are called Omega 3 MD and you only have to take one a day!!!

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »

Professor Gregory Danovitch in his book, "Handbook of Kidney Transplantation," also recommends omega-3 fatty acids, flax, and ginger as supplements which may, in principle, help contain the inflammatory processes which constitute graft rejection, thus functioning as a supplementary sort of immunosuppression that lacks the normal toxicity of these drugs.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »

I had an appointment with my cardiologist. I mentioned my trigylcerides. When they tried to pull up my labs for July, nothing was there. June's labs were not there. The last labs were May. I am so happy to know that I am being closely monitored.  :sarcasm; I thought I had this taken care of. I have complained to the lab as well as the transplant center. My previous coordinator would call the lab if she didn't get my results. All he said about my trigylcerides was exercise more and lose weight. I worked out 4 days this week and 5 last week as well as walking. I wonder how much exercise is considered enough.
lruffner

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »

Donnia-

Having FSGS and hereditary issues, I had extremely high lipids. Cholesterol 425 & triglycerides 1300!!! I am now on Crestor 20mg and cholesterol is 110 and I have to have a liver function panel test done every 3 months. My triglycerides are down to an amazing 225 now and I take a drug called Lovaza, which is the Omega-3 fatty acids with something else in it. The greatest thing about that drug, is there is no toxicity to any organs, so no blood testing is needed. They are liquid capsules, so no taste either. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night....they are big though. I asked about OTC fish oil and they said I would have to take a lot more pills if I went that route.

M brother also had high triglycerides and he cut out all of the sugar and his is now normal, but was 550. The triglycerides put you at high risk for diabetes and pancreatitis.

Hope this helps  :)

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »

Thanks lruffner~

My best friend is coming to town next week for my birthday.  She does not use ANY sugar at all.... she sweetens with fruits and something else... cant remember what she called it.  I am going to get her to help me with ideas on how to lower my sugar intake.

del
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »

I don't use any sugar either. I sweeten with fruit and splenda. I use splenda in all my recipes that said sugar.  I find it doesn't change the taste at all.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 06:18:50 PM »

My guys won't go for the all Splenda substitution, but if I go 50/50 or even 25 sugar/75 splenda, they can't tell the difference.  You can also try agave, which is sweet, but has a low glycemic index.  The downside is that it's expensive.

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »

I tried the agave this week and loved it!  My best friend was in from out of town and brought me some.  You are right tho, it is expensive.  I am going to look online and see if I can find it any cheaper than she found it.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »

Here's an relatively new article about how diet can affect your heart health (and kidney health since the transplanted kidney needs good blood flow).  It follows on the heals of the news stories about the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet and South Beach Diet compared to some of the other popular diets:

Mediterranean diet: Choose this heart-healthy diet option

If you're looking for a heart-healthy eating plan, the Mediterranean diet might be right for you. The Mediterranean diet incorporates the basics of healthy eating — plus a splash of flavorful olive oil and perhaps a glass of red wine — among other components characterizing the traditional cooking style of countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.

Most healthy diets include fruits, vegetables, fish and whole grains, and limit unhealthy fats. While these parts of a healthy diet remain tried-and-true, subtle variations or differences in proportions of certain foods may make a difference in your risk of heart disease.

Benefits of the Mediterranean diet

The Mediterranean diet is thought to reduce your risk of heart disease. In fact, a 2007 study conducted in the United States found that both men and women who consumed a Mediterranean diet lowered their risk of death from both heart disease and cancer.

Key components of the Mediterranean diet include:

Eating a generous amount of fruits and vegetables
Consuming healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
Eating small portions of nuts
Drinking red wine, in moderation, for some
Consuming very little red meat
Eating fish on a regular basis
Fruits, vegetables and grains

The Mediterranean diet traditionally includes fruits, vegetables, pasta and rice. For example, residents of Greece eat very little red meat and average nine servings a day of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. The Mediterranean diet has been associated with a lower level of oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol — the "bad" cholesterol that's more likely to build up deposits in your arteries.

Grains in the Mediterranean region are typically whole grain and usually contain very few unhealthy trans fats, and bread is an important part of the diet there. However, throughout the Mediterranean region, bread is eaten without butter or margarines, which contain saturated or trans fats.

Healthy fats

The focus of the Mediterranean diet isn't to limit total fat consumption, but to make wise choices about the types of fat you eat.

The Mediterranean diet is similar to the American Heart Association's Step I diet, but it contains less cholesterol and has more fats. However, the fats are healthy — including monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, and polyunsaturated fats, which contain the beneficial linolenic acid (a type of omega-3 fatty acid). These fat sources include canola oil and nuts, particularly walnuts. Fish — another source of omega-3 fatty acids — is eaten on a regular basis in the Mediterranean diet. Omega-3 fatty acids lower triglycerides and may improve the health of your blood vessels. The Mediterranean diet discourages saturated fats and hydrogenated oils (trans-fatty acids), both of which contribute to heart disease.

Choosing oils and fats

Olive oil. All types of olive oil provide monounsaturated fat — a type of fat that can help reduce LDL cholesterol levels when used in place of saturated or trans fats. "Extra-virgin" and "virgin" olive oils are the least processed forms, meaning they contain the highest levels of the protective plant compounds that provide antioxidant effects.
Nuts. Nuts may be high in fat (80 percent of their calories come from fat), but tree nuts, including walnuts, pecans, almonds and hazel nuts, are low in saturated fat. Walnuts also contain omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts are high in calories, so they should not be eaten in large amounts — generally no more than a handful a day. For the best nutrition, avoid honey-roasted or heavily salted nuts.

Wine

The health effects of alcohol have been debated for many years, and some doctors are reluctant to encourage alcohol consumption because of the health consequences of excessive drinking. However, light intake of alcohol has been associated with a reduced risk of heart disease in some research studies.

Red wine has an aspirin-like effect, reducing the blood's ability to clot, and also contains antioxidants. The Mediterranean diet typically includes some red wine, but this should be consumed only in moderation. This means no more than 5 ounces (148 milliliters) of wine daily for women (or men over age 65), and no more than 10 ounces (296 milliliters) of wine daily for men under age 65. Any more than this increases the risk of health problems, including increased risk of certain types of cancer.

If you're unable to limit your alcohol intake to the amounts defined above, if you have a personal or family history of alcohol abuse, or if you have heart or liver disease, refrain from drinking wine or any other alcohol. Also keep in mind that red wine may trigger migraines in some people.

Putting it all together

Adopting a Mediterranean diet is easy if you're a smart shopper. Choose plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, limit your intake of red meat, and eat fish at least once a week. Though avoid fish that's fried or laden with butter or heavy sauces. Use healthy fats, such as olive oil and canola oil, when cooking — but only in moderation because of their high calorie content. Consider nuts as a snack or an addition to a salad. Finally, reduce or eliminate saturated fat and trans fats (also known as hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils) from your diet.

Read food labels to see what you're really buying and putting into your body. Here are some specific steps you can take:

Eat natural peanut butter, rather than the kind with hydrogenated fat added.
Use butter sparingly. "Low fat" or "cholesterol-free" on the label doesn't mean a product is necessarily good for you. Many of these items are made with trans fats.
Eat a variety of whole fruits and vegetables every day. Ultimately, strive for seven to 10 servings a day. Keep baby carrots, apples and bananas on hand for quick, satisfying snacks. Fruit salads are a wonderful way to eat a variety of healthy — and tasty — fruit.
Use canola or olive oil in cooking. Try olive oil for salad dressing and as a healthy replacement for butter or margarine. After cooking pasta, add a touch of olive oil, some garlic and green onions for flavoring. Dip bread in flavored olive oil or lightly spread it on whole-grain bread for a tasty alternative to butter.
Substitute fish and poultry for red meat. Avoid sausage, bacon and other high-fat meats.
Limit higher fat dairy products such as whole or 2 percent milk, cheese and ice cream. Switch to skim milk, fat-free yogurt and low-fat cheese.
Eat fish once or twice a week. Water-packed tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel and herring are healthy choices. Grilled fish tastes good and requires little cleanup. Avoid fried fish, unless it's sauteed in a small amount of olive oil.
Keep walnuts, almonds, pecans and Brazil nuts on hand for a quick snack.
If it's OK with your doctor, go ahead and have a glass of red wine at dinner with your pasta or fish. If you don't drink alcohol, you don't need to start. Drinking purple grape juice may be a healthy alternative to wine.
Once you experience the delicious and healthy choices the Mediterranean diet has to offer, it just might become your favorite diet.

By Mayo Clinic Staff
June 20, 2008

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »