I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 08:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  cats -- don't you just love them too
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: cats -- don't you just love them too  (Read 52178 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2009, 06:17:49 AM »

valentine's day is my kitty's 5th anniversary with me. I rescued her from the shelter on V day 2004. She's absolutely my valentine!!!!

lots of love to you Celeste on your special day.. and ROO MEAT for your special treat!!!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »

cats eat kangaroo meat
is that a special treat
 :waiting;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »

My cat decided I had slept enough this morning and proceeded to squawk in my ear and sit on me until I got up and fed her.  Who know where she is now?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »

My cat decided I had slept enough this morning and proceeded to squawk in my ear and sit on me until I got up and fed her. Who know where she is now?

My cat does that to me every morning.  There is no such thing as "sleeping in" for me.  But I wouldn't trade him for anything!   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »

...and Harry, who sleeps on my pillow, pats me in the face with his paws until I get up when he needs a drink, a snack or a trip to the litter box. I love him anyway!

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Vicky

« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »

We have two cats and talk about personalities!!!!!  Shed is a pure black neutered male and he has some attitude like you would not believe.  I am the only one who is allowed to touch his belly or feet.  if anyone else does he gives one warning meow and then you're his!!!  He is also a clepto he will steal anything around the house and bring it to me.  I've gotten such gifts as my daughter watch and pony tail clips, rings off the milk jugs, tops off yogurt containers that don't get to the trash fast enough, pompoms, normal cat toys, but the best of all was a my monthly supply I had sitting on the bathroom counter!!!  And he LOVES to sleep in my hair at night!!!

Our other one is Mittens he's a black and white tuxedo neutered male who had a pretty severe eye infection when he was a kitten and ended up loosing it.  So he's out "Ole one eye" of the house.  He thinks that Shed is his momma and follows him everywhere he goes.  He's a very nervous cat, when we moved I ended up taking him to the vet because he stopped eating and drinking and was running a major fever, got to give him shots for a week for the temperature and shove pills down his throat to try to stimulate his appetite, thought I was going to lose him there for a while.  He loves to cuddle and will climb up on your lap and flip on his back in your arms just like a baby to have his belly rubbed!!!!

Here are my boys
1. Mittens

2. Shed

EDITED: Removed links and reformatted pictures - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:32:32 PM by Sluff » Logged

Vicky
been there done that
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »

Cute cat's Vicky

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »

We have acquired my Mom's fuzzy cat due to her COPD being acted upon due to his cat fur.  I will take a pic when I can.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2009, 09:41:35 PM »

Hey Vicky, I've got a question for the owner of a one-eyed cat!

Some Learning Channel show I watched a while ago said that cats do that "butt wiggle" before they pounce on something because they are shifting their eyes back and forth to better gauge the distance from them to their target.  The rapid shifting helps them by adjusting focus from one eye to the other rapidly, which helps with depth perception.

So, if that's true - do one-eyed cats also butt-wiggle before pouncing?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2009, 05:03:33 AM »

Your kitties are adorable, Vicky!

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Vicky

« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »

Hey Vicky, I've got a question for the owner of a one-eyed cat!

Some Learning Channel show I watched a while ago said that cats do that "butt wiggle" before they pounce on something because they are shifting their eyes back and forth to better gauge the distance from them to their target.  The rapid shifting helps them by adjusting focus from one eye to the other rapidly, which helps with depth perception.

So, if that's true - do one-eyed cats also butt-wiggle before pouncing?

I've never seen him do the butt wiggle like my other one will, but he will sit for a second and access a jump.  He doesn't jump up very high any more, usually no more then the height of our bed and we have the pillow top mattress.  If he goes any higher then that he usually has a hard time getting down since he doesn't have depth perception anymore.  He will sit and meow until someone comes to his rescue.  If he wants to go somewhere semi high he has to find a path up and down from it.

My sister had a dog with only one back leg.  When he was a puppy he ran under her tires when she was backing out of the driveway and broke it, they ended up amputating it leaving just a little bit of a stump.  It never slowed her down I swear she could run faster than the other day she had, but Winnie would spin her tail just like a wind mill for balance and boy could she move.  It's amazing how much animals and people adapt to a disability.  With determination nothing can stop you!!

Vicky
been there done that
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2009, 06:08:33 PM »

cats eat kangaroo meat
is that a special treat
 :waiting;

oh yes!! she goes totally nuts for it - but it is VERY high in protein so I only give it to her as a treat otherwise too much is bad (hmm, maybe *I* should eat it !!!  :rofl;). When she sees me take it out she goes totally nuts and literally yells at me to dish it up and she RUNS to her foot bowl waiting and looking up at me and yelling if I'm slow unpacking it! LOL. It's the only food she does that with.. and when I put it down she gobbles it up in like 30 seconds flat!! However she is then VERY content for the rest of the night!

As for morning wake up calls she never does that with me. We have this understanding. Her dinner time is 6-8pm. Any food outside of those hours is either a treat, or I am going away and won't be there at dinner time for her normally or something. She has her water bowl which I always keep freshened and she has dry food to graze on during the day. Normally she goes and has a midnight snack (she is a cat of habits) and then eats I guess during the day.. however in the mornings she is totally content to snuggle next to me on the bed and stay there till I get up. She never bugs me or anything in the morning... and like last night when I was feeling a bit down and sad she came right up to me - somehow she knew - and rubbed her head against me and snuggled in as if to say "it's ok. I'm here and I love you".. and just having her warm head snuggled against my fistula(she loves to do that!) was very comforting.

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #312 on: February 15, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »

Cute little kittens. :cuddle;
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »

lots of love to you Celeste on your special day.. and ROO MEAT for your special treat!!!!!

Hey Mel!

What is kangaroo meat and where do you get it?    I wonder if that is something that can be bought in the states?

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #314 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »

I have a question...........my girl cat, Sandie, who will be 9 years old in a couple of months, has just recently started "talking" like non-stop but especially if she is a different room than I am, she will DEMAND for me to acknowledge her before she quits.........and she even does it while I am sleeping.........does anyone's cat do this at odd times?   

She also has now what I call "adopted" this little feather like thing (off of an old toy) and she will carry it around in her mouth and meow VERY LOUD and also the meow noise she makes is very much unlike her "normal" meow.   I can't figure that out either but I call that her "baby".   She will also bring it to me and again, she will not stop meowing until I acknowledger her.   It is cute but not *that* cute when she does that in the middle of the night too.    :)

I hope this all makes sense but when she does these 2 meows both of them are 2 totally different meows. It just puzzles me because she just recently started all this.........I know.........sounds  :urcrazy;

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #315 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »

Hey Mel!

What is kangaroo meat and where do you get it?    I wonder if that is something that can be bought in the states?

It wouldn't surprise me if some company imported it to the US but I have no idea.

Obviously you get kangaroo meat from.. well.. kangaroos! Y'see it must seem very odd that we kill and eat(or give to our pets) one of our national symbols, but the truth is in some parts of this country the kangaroo is a pest and in plague proportions! So there's nothing wrong per se in killing them in that respect. As for where I get it? the supermarket of course! It comes in little single serve packages so it's really easy to give to her and she LOVES it!!! Strangely enough though my sister's cat won't touch the stuff. go figure!

Actually roo meat is very lean and aparently good for us humans too. I've tasted it once or twice at restaurants and it tastes like chicken (no it doesn't).

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2009, 02:45:19 AM »

Hey Mel!

It wouldn't surprise me if some company imported it to the US but I have no idea.

Obviously you get kangaroo meat from.. well.. kangaroos! Y'see it must seem very odd that we kill and eat(or give to our pets) one of our national symbols, but the truth is in some parts of this country the kangaroo is a pest and in plague proportions! So there's nothing wrong per se in killing them in that respect. As for where I get it? the supermarket of course! It comes in little single serve packages so it's really easy to give to her and she LOVES it!!! Strangely enough though my sister's cat won't touch the stuff. go figure!

Actually roo meat is very lean and aparently good for us humans too. I've tasted it once or twice at restaurants and it tastes like chicken (no it doesn't).

Can you post a picture of it RM, I'm curious to see the package and look of the meat.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Vicky

« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2009, 06:35:11 AM »

I have a question...........my girl cat, Sandie, who will be 9 years old in a couple of months, has just recently started "talking" like non-stop but especially if she is a different room than I am, she will DEMAND for me to acknowledge her before she quits.........and she even does it while I am sleeping.........does anyone's cat do this at odd times?   

She also has now what I call "adopted" this little feather like thing (off of an old toy) and she will carry it around in her mouth and meow VERY LOUD and also the meow noise she makes is very much unlike her "normal" meow.   I can't figure that out either but I call that her "baby".   She will also bring it to me and again, she will not stop meowing until I acknowledger her.   It is cute but not *that* cute when she does that in the middle of the night too.    :)

I hope this all makes sense but when she does these 2 meows both of them are 2 totally different meows. It just puzzles me because she just recently started all this.........I know.........sounds  :urcrazy;

Makes perfect sense to me.  When Shed is stealing something and bringing it to me he has a different meow because he has something in his mouth and he wants to be acknowledged as bringing me a "present"  You are Sandie's "mom" and she is trying to please you by bringing you a present.

When mine meow when no one is in the room with them they are looking for each other or some companion and once I speak they stop and come to me or settle down.  It's all part of nature.  The feather is just like a child carrying around a security blanket or a favorite toy it sooths them.

So you're not crazy and the cat is not goofy it's all part of the cycle.   You'll learn each meow and what it means.  I know Shed's meow when he's bringing me something.  When they are calling each other to come play or see where the other is.  Their meow for hey stupid I'm outta food feed me hehehe and so on.

Vicky
been there done that
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #318 on: February 18, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »

Makes perfect sense to me.  When Shed is stealing something and bringing it to me he has a different meow because he has something in his mouth and he wants to be acknowledged as bringing me a "present"  You are Sandie's "mom" and she is trying to please you by bringing you a present.

When mine meow when no one is in the room with them they are looking for each other or some companion and once I speak they stop and come to me or settle down.  It's all part of nature.  The feather is just like a child carrying around a security blanket or a favorite toy it sooths them.

So you're not crazy and the cat is not goofy it's all part of the cycle.   You'll learn each meow and what it means.  I know Shed's meow when he's bringing me something.  When they are calling each other to come play or see where the other is.  Their meow for hey stupid I'm outta food feed me hehehe and so on.

Mine has a couple of toys that she hunts and kills - each time, she does, she gives this horrific sounding yowl.  The only way to make her stop is to go to where she is standing over her "kill" and acknowledge her accomplishment.

Tyny - the only way to stop that in the middle of the night is to make sure the toys are all put away before you go to bed every night!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »

Hey Mel!

Can you post a picture of it RM, I'm curious to see the package and look of the meat.

http://www.vippetfoods.com.au/catfood/mince/Fussy+Cat+with+Chicken/450g/

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #320 on: February 18, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »

Well that's better than the kangaroo poo kitkatz showed me Auusie land sells.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #321 on: February 19, 2009, 05:16:19 AM »

I think I will stick with Slugger thinking tuna is a great treat --- I save the water from the cans of tuna and put in on her dry cat food and she loves it ---- so does Yogi, my cow dog --- Slugger also loves cheese and corn
Yogi will eat anything
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #322 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »

Corn?  I'm getting a mental image of a cat trying to chew corn on the cob. . .

Mine loves tootsie pop suckers.  She wants you to hold it still while she licks it, so she'll sit up and put her paws around your hand to make you hold it still.  Too funny to watch!

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #323 on: February 19, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

My cat Raja used to absolutely love corn on the cob! He would drag it off if we let him and gnaw on it until it as nothing. He'd growl at anyone that came near him when he had corn. We had to make sure that we never left corn on the cob in the trash can because he would dive into the trash can to dig it out. Corn on the cob and cooked chicken were the only things he would bother to dig out of the trash can.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »

Thank You Vicky and Jbeany but its funny you mentioned putting her "toys" up at night because that is what I have been doing............putting that "feather" in a drawer or something but now that you both have told me that it is just their nature to do that certain meow............I don't think it will annoy me as much now..........thanks again!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »