I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:52:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Nocturnal
| | |-+  Nocturnal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nocturnal  (Read 37583 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

It was the chair last night.  I felt like I was sliding down out of it.  Got to figure something out soon.   I think I am going to get an eggshell mattress like Rerun uses.  Where did you get yours Rerun? Then maybe I will not feel the chair under me so much. I am also going to down a Benadryl and two Tylenol on Monday night and let them work on the sleep aspect of the night.  Maybe then I can sleep for the night

:rant; If my family asks me one more time how I feel or of I am adjusting to it I may scream.  I have been twice! It takes 20 to 30 days to make a change work for your life.  Give it and me time please folks.  I have to see if this will work for me. :rant;

One of the pillows I bought worked last night. The king sized pillow was too big so it stays home in the future. I knocked everything off of the table and almost the machine with it last night.  Not a good idea to fling my glasses to the floor. The tech was cool. He picked everything up for me and even popped the lenses back into the glasses for me.  He even cleaned my glasses. I put them on in the morning and wow I could see!  I am going to ask if I can change my time to be from 8 to 4 instead of 7 to 3. I think I would sleep better. I could watch TV 8 to 10, then sleep 10 to 4.  Then come home and get ready for work slowly in the morning.  Maybe have a breakfast out in the morning.

I feel good.  So we shall see. I am actually at my dry weight when I come off of the machine.  That has not happened in months.  I am usually a kilo over when I come off of the machine.  We shall see how the blood pressure reacts to all of this stuff. 

The funny thing was, Dr. Lee, the nephrologist who works at this center, actually came over and talked with me for about 20 minutes.  He even used his stethoscope on me to listen to my heart and then palpitated my abdomen.  I have ever had a dialysis center doctor do more than talk to me for five minutes.  That was really unusual.  He even gave me his home phone number so I can call him if I am having any unusual problems. He seemed pleased I had come there for treatment.  He even said he had read my records!  Wow!  Coolio!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:14:47 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »

My center has a number of hospital beds for the patients who aren't ambulatory. Why can't you use those for noctural?

My recipe for a good nights sleep.....an Ativan and two Tylenol PM.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »

That sounds very promising, Kit!  I look forward to hearing more as you go.  I saw those eggshell bed pads at Linens and Things.  I think the twin was 9.99.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »

I just saw the eggcrate mattress pads at our Walmart today.  They are stocked up on twin size stuff for the kids going off to college.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »

Yes, I got one today at Wallyworld. It looks funny but should work.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

Kit, you might have to trim the twin size down to fit in the dialysis chairs. I used a kitchen knife and it cut it like butter. Hope it helps your comfort.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »

Hey! I feel better.  I mean I really feel better.  Even with no sleep on Tuesday, I felt better.   :cheer:

lifenotonthelist.com

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »

Wonderful! Hopefully nocturnal will keep getting better.   :flower;

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »

Hey! I feel better.  I mean I really feel better.  Even with no sleep on Tuesday, I felt better.   :cheer:

That's GREAT kit!  :yahoo;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2008, 04:52:17 PM »

that is absolutely, positively, utterly, fantabulous  :yahoo; :cheer: :yahoo;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

Hey! I feel better. I mean I really feel better. Even with no sleep on Tuesday, I felt better. :cheer:

So happy for you, kitkatz!   :cheer:

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »

:clap; :yahoo; :clap;   Keep up the feeling better Kit.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »

:clap;  So glad you are feeling better!! hubby said that after he started nocturnal his brain didn't feel "fuzzy" anymore!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »

Very Cool.
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »

:clap;  So glad you are feeling better!! hubby said that after he started nocturnal his brain didn't feel "fuzzy" anymore!!

Yes, yes, and YES!  It is so true.  When I went on a trip and was back to 3 hours I had the fuzzy thinking again.

Kit, you will find that the doctors that are the head of Nocturnal are very dedicated.  They would have to be to take on yet one more shift.

Maybe you could share Dr. Lee's HOME phone number with us!  I'm sure he wouldn't mind!    :rofl;

circleNthedrain

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

Great news, glad you are feeling better!

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

Kit, how did you do last night?  Did you sleep anybetter?

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »

Benadryl is a wonderful sleep aide.  They zapped me with some in the lines and a half an hour later zonked.   So I slept about 5 hours Wednesday night. I made them put the fan directly on me.

I am sweating like a pig during treatment. I changed my hours to be 8 to 4 tonight.  We shall see how it works.

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2008, 07:55:57 AM »

Maybe if you wore your Teddy it would be cooler!  ONLY it would make the men HOT!!!! 

:yahoo;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »

JUst what I need more hot men in my life!  :rofl;   I would probably frighten them to death in a teddy!

I got to talk to the tech who does home hemo in REdlands.  He is going to get me an invite to the orientation class for home hemo.  This nocturnal thing may have been a good move.

lifenotonthelist.com

Wallyz

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »

I am sweating like a pig during treatment.

I have been doing this too.  My doctor said it was because i was shifting from a too high concentration of electrolytes in my cells to a normal, lower level, and my body was pushing out the extra water. In the last week, my dry weight has dropped over a kilo.\

Short dialysis normally gets  a better electrolyte balance in t he blood, but doesn't lat long enough for the electrolytes in the cells to leach into the bloodstream. The same thing is happening to all the other toxins in your system.  It keeps your blood clean long enough to really clean out your other cells.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »

kitkatz first when hubby came home on nocturnal he would sweat like a pig!!  Wake up in the night and he would be soaked. Started turning the temp on the machine down from 37 celcius to 36.5 and no problems since.  Of course we checked with the dialysis nurse first.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
circleNthedrain

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »

kitkatz, so glad you are feeling better, hope it keeps getting better and better!  Thank you for posting your experiences, it is a real benefit for those of us considering nocturnal.  As for sweating, I run the machine temp at 36 instead of 37, and it keeps the sweats at bay.

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »

Kit, just remember with home hemo you have to set up the machine and tear it down and do monthly maintenance.  You have to order supplies and make sure you have room for all of it.  You also live with the machine 24/7.  A constant reminder.  I didn't like it.

I want to go and get in my chair and get up and go home.

Just keep this in mind when you go to the "sales" meeting.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2008, 09:25:09 PM »

I will. But I would like to see if it will work for me.  I want tot ravel. NxStage seems to be more conducive to it than in center hemo. At least I can say I tried it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »