I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Going to five days per week.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going to five days per week.  (Read 5937 times)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« on: July 10, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »

On Monday the 14th I begin doing dialysis five days a week for 2 1/2 hours each time instead of the 4 hours I currently do.  My neph was quick to agree to this request as he thinks I'll have less ups and downs than I do now.  Even though I'll miss the off days, I'll be glad to feel those benefits and the first two hours pass relatively quickly for me.  There are already several other patients who do this and the nurses (and the one other patient I've talked to) say it's a huge improvement over three times weekly.
Ideally, I should take Wednesday and Sunday off but I'm leaving my weekend intact for now but can switch later if need be.  I'm planning to think of the gym and dialysis as my new daily structure.  Gym in the morning (usually 9-11) then free time till 2:30, D until supper time and evenings and weekends free.  I'm hoping that the increase in frequency and loss of free days will be offset by me feeling less washed out after each session.  More often will also help greatly in establishing my buttonholes even faster.  I'm working now on setting a date to have my permacath taken out. :yahoo;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:47:46 AM »

Hope you feel better with the sacrifices you make.  :grouphug;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:50:32 AM »

Good news from you this morning Monrein!  Sounds like you have a good doctor, too.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:05:09 AM »

Keep us posted on how your doing for future consideration, good luck...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:35:49 AM »

Monrein, when Marvin switched from in-center (3 x week) to home hemo (6 x week), it made a HUGE difference in how he felt, how much energy he had, etc.  I think this is a good move for you, and I think you'll find the sacrifice of the extra time for the additional treatments will make ALL the rest of your hours (when you're not on the machine) better.  Good luck.  Keep us posted!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:57:19 AM »

Good luck!!!  I'm sure it will work better for you.  :2thumbsup;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:08:51 AM »

Monrein, I am glad you have doctors that are willing to let you try this.  I think we know our bodies better than anyone, and you are very informed and aware. I hope this works well for you.  :2thumbsup;  You are dealing with everything with style and set a wonderful example to others on how to go through this journey.    :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »

I thought insurance would only pay for 3 treatments per week.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:37:44 AM »

WONDERFUL idea! I so hope it works for you!!  I think I'll ask at my center if they do that, and if the insurance covers it.  Daily is always so much better than intermittent.  I'd say you have the right idea, think of it as a daily routine, going to the gym has got to help, too!
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »

Good luck to you, Moonrein!

I hope you feel much more energized with
this new routine in your treatments!

Anne
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 09:18:09 AM »

She's in Canada flip.  It's different than in the U.S.  Insurance is not an issue.  Treatments are covered for everybody. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:39:03 AM »

Wow all that and the gym as well !!!! I hope you feel better doing 5 days , its worth a try!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »

I hope the 5 days will be better for you.... and doing the gym too!!!  I applaud you  :clap;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »

Sounds like the perfect time for an afternoon siesta. I hope all goes well!  :)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

Thanks everyone.  It of course cuts into my time, but if I feel good after treatments I figure the quality I gain will be worth it.  My neph is a big proponent of daily and home and nocturnal and as Del pointed out, here in Canada insurance is not an issue.  I pay nothing and my drugs are subsidized by a program that is geared to income.  I'm thinking of it as a part time job, and I've been back at the gym already trying to get back into my routine.  It'll be an adjustment for sure but I'm ready to try. :grouphug;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »

:yahoo;  fantastic. i wish only the best for you. it sounds like you have a great out look about it all.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »

I do know people here in the U.S. that do home hemo 5-6 days a week and feel much better. Evidently there is no limit on the number of treatments if you do them at home. Correct?

Meinuk

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »

Sounds great monrein, I hoe that you are feeling better and better with each treatment.

Flip - as far as at home on NxStage, the way it works with my clinic is  that the Dr. writes a prescription for a weeks dose of dialysis (Dialysate) based on my body, and labs.  For me it is 120 Liters.  I broke that up into a 5x schedule of 20L (2.5 hrs) Tu/W/Th and 30 L (3:45) Sa/Su; others do different schedules and different volumes.  I have also run a 4x week with 4 30L treatments, but my nurse doesn't like me to do that too often.  As long as my labs are good, my schedule is flexible.  I just need to remember to get the minimum of 120 Liters each week.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 05:25:31 PM »

Thanks for the info, Meinuk. I'm leaning more and more that way.

mark m

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »

Way to go. I am sure you will be felling better. With button holes and 5x a week it sounds like you are on your way to home treatments?

Life is good.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »

More info for Flip --
Marvin's NxStage prescription (written by his neph and based on his size and labs) calls for 20L of dialysate 6 x week  (120 L/week, just like Meinuk).  We, however, don't break it up like Meinuk -- we go six days in every week, with each treatment getting the same 20 L "dose."  We do get to choose which day to take off each week -- as long as you don't pick Sunday of this week and then Monday of next week (two days back-to-back).  Other than that, we have the freedom to chose.  We take a look at our schedule for the week (of other things -- not dialysis) and plan Marvin's "day off" accordingly.  We also decide what time each day we'll do treatments (could be 7 a.m. today, and 9 p.m. tomorrow -- doesn't matter).  Marvin's treatments last between 2.5 hours and 3 hours -- depending on how much fluid he has on that particular day.

Marvin is really having a hard time adjusting to the loose fluid restrictions on home hemo.  When he was in-center, it was a strict 30 oz. a day, and he stuck to it religiously.  Now that he's on home hemo, he's still not realizing that he can drink more each day.  As a result, he doesn't have much on between treatments -- sometimes 0.1 kilo (and no urine output for years)!  But, when you've been on in-center with the tight fluid restrictions for so long (12 1/2 years), it's hard to adjust to drinking more.  He's working on it.  Also, Marvin feels much, much better when he has an extra half kilo on (as opposed to being a half kilo under dry weight).  He also does better when his bp is up -- just a little -- like 130 or 140 over 70 or 80 (as opposed to 110/55).  His bp has been running low lately because he doesn't drink as much as he can (and should).  He stopped all bp meds when he went on home hemo (and he was on three different ones -- just for bp -- when he was in-center).  We think these are good "problems" to have.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »

How about travel?

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 07:21:08 PM »

I'm curious.  Are you going to a dialysis center, and if so how did your Dr. get the center to agree with this?
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »

Well, I go to a self-care clinic where I set up the machine, do my needles (with some help at the moment as I'm training on buttonholes.)  I've been feeling washed out and getting headaches after D so I started telling my charge nurse that my understanding was that a person feels better with daily runs.  Nocturnal may be a possibility for me down the road.  There are three daily people now at my centre so I also talked to one of them who said it was a huge improvement for him.  I have an appointment in 2 weeks or so with my neph but my charge nurse said he's a big advocate of more frequent treatment as people feel much better and it's easier to manage the chemistry.  So she called him, he approved it and ten days after my first ever mention of it I'm starting to do it on Monday.  I have an individual appointment with my neph once a month but if anything comes up or I have questions, my charge nurse calls him and gets back to me within a day or two.  I've consulted him in this way three times already.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
silverhead

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »

My personal feeling is your body will actually feel better if you split your days off, rather than getting it accustomed to every day then having 2 days off in a row, you may be feeling pretty lousy by the time you get back on the machine. occasionally Sharon has a day off from the NxStage and she asks to go on early the next regular day because she knows she needs the treatment, I know she would not be able to handle 2 days off in a row. We just had our monthly meeting at the clinic today, and as usually her labs were really great, nothing to be concerned about, but by the time we got home, she asked to get on to help her feel better (the activity of traveling and in and out of the wheelchair knocks her out physically, but a treatment and the rest while on the machine makes the difference.......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »