I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Aloha
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aloha  (Read 4550 times)
Kini

" Just keep Swimming "

« on: July 07, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »

:bandance; ALOHA to all. I was so happy to come across these boards. I am a mother and caregiver of my daugher whom is 26. She mentally Challanged but very midly, still she needs my guidace as she always has. I have been her biggest advocate for many years. When she was little I taught in her school district to be near her, when I transitioned her to adulthood, I developed a Vocational program in our county and I also ran for our local school board and won the seat which I feel I made a huge difference for all with any form of disablity. My daugher was only 2 months old when we found out about her kidney's. Never had a Reason, and Yes ALL test were done. The days and hours we have spent in hospital I can not even count. She had her one native kidney removed at 2 months old..... and since has been transplanted 2 x's. She received her first gift of life at 9 yrs of age, it was not easy to say the least. Back in 1991, it was Different still devloping and still to this day it grows. She had 12 WONDERFUL yrs. with her cadaver Kidney, for we never knew Dialysis she was transplant before it got to dialysis. And I wlll never forget her Pediatric Neph. say to me, you have no idea how easy it is to go from where she was at to transplant,, meaning we never KNEW dialysis, he was Right !!! 12 yrs. later JUST LIKE THAT,, Gone she lost the graft. She graduated high school in June of 2003 (  :clap; Being a school board director I was able to GIVE her, her diploma,, so SPECIAL ) but I had no idea that night she was loosing her gift. Then next day she laid on the couch SO VERY COLD and it was 85 here  ??? i I thought she was tired from the festities and let it go but the next day MY GUT told me take her for blood work, ( we always had a standing order at our local hosp.) with in 2 hrs. her Neph. called me at work her creat. was 8.2  :-\ so off we went to the hosp. ( now keep in mind she had blood work only 3 wks before this and it was fine ) admitted to the hosp. she lost the graft. Dialysis was started,, we choose PD.

To make a long story short, a yr. went by and her sister decided to be checked after finding out on her own they had the same blood type. I never told my daugher because I did not want her to donate. She did this on her own and once she knew that was it, she was going to give her sister a kidney and would not hear anything from me,, she did it all on her own. She passed the eval. and the transplant took place. So much went WRONG from the beginning, so much but I can not go into that now. The whole transplant failed and I almost lost BOTH my girls. I spent that yr. taking one daughter off a machine after a long night, and getting up to get my donor daughter on another machine.. a true night mare of our lives, i spent many yrs so angry and hateful, bitter. It's been 4 yrs out now and still my daugher is on PD with many complictions, she is so tired after 5 yrs of dialysis and 2 transplants. She now has an PRA level of 93 % and is 0 +. She is reacting to the PD now and I wonder how much longer she can keep it, I just hate the thought of Hemo. She has 5 yrs on the wait list,and with a high PRA and her age I just pray someone is kind enough to leave the gift of life,, I wish I matched her, and her dad. We never match  :'( and there is no other family member to ask,, and I have never asked anyone anyhow. I know I could reach out on the net but I also have an ethic issue to where to draw lines on living donors. So here I am  and I hope I can gather any and all information on PD dialyisis. ALoha  :waving;

Mother of daughter on PD dialysis. Transplanted 1991, dialysis June 2003, transplanted 2004 this transplant never took, still on PD and waiting 5 yrs. and when the gift of life is once again never shall we be tied down, look out Hawaii we are coming back !! it's my daughter's dream.
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

Kini,
This all sounds very hard, and I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this.  I'm glad, though, that you have found your way to IHD.  There are lots of wonderful people here, with tons of information and support.  No matter how you're feeling on any given day, someone is sure to understand.   :welcomesign; and keep posting!

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Kini

" Just keep Swimming "

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »

Mahalo My friend. It 's such a peaceful feeling to know you never alone. I will always reach out for help in my hr. of needed support and I also hope with my knowlege of what we have faced give input too. again Mahalo  :guitar:

Mother of daughter on PD dialysis. Transplanted 1991, dialysis June 2003, transplanted 2004 this transplant never took, still on PD and waiting 5 yrs. and when the gift of life is once again never shall we be tied down, look out Hawaii we are coming back !! it's my daughter's dream.
lruffner

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »

Welcome Kini. :welcomesign;

Just know that there will always be someone here to lend an ear, give supportive advice, and kindness.

I would love to get to know you better, as my husband and I are planning a trip there next February...it would be great to meet some folks on here.

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:53:38 PM »

Welcome, Kini......don't hate the thought of hemo, it's not that bad

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
kelliOR

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

Aloha Kini,

You are an amazing mother  :) .
I am so glad you found a path to IHD.
Here, you will find love and support, for you deserve it.
Welcome,

love,
kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »

:welcomesign; Kini.  I'm so glad you found us too and hopefully we'll support and learn from one another.  You've been through so much with your girls and how lucky they are to have you.  Post often and I look forward to getting to know you. :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »

:welcomesign;

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »

Welcome to IHD Kini.  Come right on in and make yourself at home.
There's always someone around to talk to.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

:waving; hi Kini,

I am glad you joined IHD. You were one of the first people I communicated with when I wanted to donate a kidney to Jenna. I know you will meet some very supportive folks here.
Best wishes to you and your girls!

okarol/admin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:51:27 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 01:08:04 AM »

:welcomesign; kini

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »

:welcomesign; You have sure been through a lot.  :cuddle;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:50 AM »

Aloha back Kini,

It's a pleasure to have you here and I can feel your emotions as I read your wonderful introduction. I'm sitting here wishing there was a better way to help your daughter. The sole purpose of this website (board) is for all of us associated with ESRD at some level, have a place to tell our story, rant when we feel like ranting, and learn from the information contained here. There is a lot of information here, and everyone here understands what you are feeling, and everything you have, and are going through. Feel free to browse and ask questions, and make some new friends. Here is a  :grouphug;  :grouphug;  for you and your daughter.

Sluff/Admin
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:17 AM »

:welcomesign;

Kini

" Just keep Swimming "

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:15:39 AM »

:thx; You all have made me feel so welcome. It is nice to know you are never alone. HUGS to each and everyone.

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:45:38 AM »

Kini, welcome to the site

Boxman,Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »

Welcome Kini!

You have found a great place for support, friendship, and many shoulders when you need it.  Bless you for being so proactive in your daughter's life.  I hope her gift comes quickly and without complications this time.  Y'all will be in my prayers.   :grouphug;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 07:01:12 AM »

:welcomesign;  Your story is amazing and shows the extent of a Mother's love.  I am glad you joined us.  There is so much support here.  I am sure you will also be a huge help to others going through the transplant journey.   :grouphug; for you and your girls.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Razman

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 02:42:14 PM »

It's great that you have joined IHD and  thanks for the great introductions.   Please visit often.
rsood2004

Me and my baby Kyle

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 02:55:24 PM »

Kini  :welcomesign; I have only been on this site a short time and have read alot of things and as a mother (thank God it is me and not my son) I can't imagine the strength and courage it must take to be where you are. I read it out loud to my husband and we both cried for you. Please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to you and your daughters. Please contact me or any of the wonderful people on this site if you want to talk. In God's time. :boxing;

Laurie
“I am not afraid…I was born to do this.”
“There is nothing wrong with being afraid---but there is nothing more wrong than allowing that to be your master.”
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”-Joan of Arc
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »

:welcomesign; to IHD Kini.  You have been through so much.  :grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
keith

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 05:49:08 AM »

:welcomesign; to IHD Kini.

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »

Welcome to IHD.com. There is a lot of support here for you.  It sounds like you are living a really interesting life with your girls.  I hope things get better for you all soon.  I know you are proud of your daughter for graduating.

Kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »

Welcome to our community!  What a heartbreaking story!!  But I can feel your inner strength and you will all get through this as well.  I have been on haemo for nearly three years now and though it is not what I prefer, it is making me feel better and able to get on with living!  My caring thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  Please continue to update us, since we are now your family too.  :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »

:welcomesign; Kini. I was touch by your story and strength. Keep us updated, please.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »