I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:16:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Otto's going to try Nxstage
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Otto's going to try Nxstage  (Read 43463 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »

Hurray, lola!  Hope the energy burst is enough to convince him that all the positives outweigh the negatives!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »

Well Otto did his needles today :bandance; He said the first one went in great but the second one he had to fish around for :puke; and still was having problems so they did it. He said he was totally freaked out doing this on his own but knows he needs to do it. I'm praying that tomorrow goes better since this is all he needs to get down in order to start doing it at home. Today he was an hour late :oops; we fell back to sleep after the alarm went off, good thing there so nice at his center they thought it was kinda funny.

cherpep

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2008, 11:19:46 AM »

I was very nervous about cannulating myself.  Everthing else I had down in no time at all.  Inserting the needles myself made me very nervous, and it took me a while to be comfortable with it.  My button holes never really took, so I always use the sharps.  Unfortunately, I have poked all the way through a couple of times.  However, it doesn't happen near as much as it did in the clinic.  I know my body, I know when something doesn't go in quite right, I know when something doesn't feel right.  Therefore, I can stop the procedure much sooner before my arm blows up and the pain starts.  At this point, even though I still may be a little nervous, I'd rather do it myself than have anyone else poke around in there.  After a few times, I'm sure he'll get more comfortable with it too, especially if he uses the blunts.  Nobody knows his arm better than he does.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »

Thank you for putting this info in about your training.  I hope they approve mine.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

I just wish they would start doing in center Nxstage, I still can't get over how much better Otto feels since starting this. So many more people could be on this if it was in center.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »

I don't think it's the NxStage itself - I think it's the frequency and shorter run time, combined with the lower fluid gain.  I think you could do the same with a standard machine.

Sad that what's really keeping in-center patients from the health benefits is scheduling and payment issues.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »

Today the kids and I went down so they could meet "wall-e" Otto did his 1st needle again but had trouble with the 2nd, even the nurse had problems. His fistula likes to role, so tomorrow I'm going to see if it's easier having me do it since this is what is keeping him from being home. Otto is pretty  :'( that he has to come back Monday since they all thought Friday would be his last day, they said he is a star student and has no control over his fistula. The couple next to him will also be back next week, I felt so bad today the wife went to put the needle in and the next thing I knew there was blood going everywhere, I thought the kids would freak but they did fine. We started to bring supplies home today, got the letter to send to elec, gas, tele,water companies today so they know we have to have things running because Otto has a machine at home keeping him alive.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »

My top site has a bit of a roll problem as well.  Hubby has learned to actually hold it still with his other hand while sticking.  Not sure if that works as well with a fistula as a does with a graft, but maybe you could try it?

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

My top site has a bit of a roll problem as well. Hubby has learned to actually hold it still with his other hand while sticking. Not sure if that works as well with a fistula as a does with a graft, but maybe you could try it?

jbeany -- you are one smart cookie!  Yes, Marvin's arterial rolls, and I place my thumb and pointer finger from my left hand on either side of his fistula while I cannulate with my right hand.  I don't squeeze or apply much pressure -- I just sort of "hold" it in place while I'm cannulating.  It works!

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »

On another thread I believe Adam said he uses a clamp to keep his from rolling so I'm going to try that since the tourniquet doesn't do it well when I self cannulate.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2008, 01:27:26 PM »

Today Otto did great  :bandance; :bandance; Me and Kelly his tech were jumping around we were so proud of him, although after he said he felt like he wanted to :puke;. Keely also is on D and told him it will get better with time. We got our blood spinner today and waiting for our HUGE shipment Friday. Today I was telling Kelly about IHD and that she should check it out not only because she's a tech but also because she's on D and using the Nxstage. When I was watching all the stuff Otto did today with no help I was so proud of him.  :yahoo; :yahoo;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

I'm so glad that you and especially Otto are reaping the huge empowerment benefits of self-care.  The more I do for myself the more I feel my power.  Please tell Otto how pleased we all are for him and how nice to hear that's things are progressing so well.  :cuddle;  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:49:34 PM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »

:2thumbsup;  Nothing any better than treatments at home!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »

Big  :cuddle; to you and Otto!!!!!!!  :yahoo;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »

Great news, lola!  A big pat on the back to Otto!  I hope he will have as much success with home hemo as my Marvin has had!
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »

Thanks so much you guys, it's because of you that Otto and I have been able to make such great choices. :grouphug; :grouphug; :guitar:

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »

Well Wall-e and all his stuff just was delivered. I am soooooooo overwhelmed, I could just :puke;.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »

Once you get it organized, it's not so bad.  You'll work out a system.  I've got a floor to ceiling shelving unit that is meant for garage storage.  That and one of those plastic dressers on wheels contains everything but the last 6 boxes of back up pre-bagged.  That's just stacked in a corner.

cherpep

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »

In the beginning, I made daily kits of syringes, band-aids, gauze, needles, etc in ziploc bags.  It made it a little easier getting ready.   I also created my own step-by-step list, condensed it to 1 page, put it in a page protector and taped it to the back of my clipboard.  The clipboard holds the daily run sheets, flip over the board and I have my how-to list.  I also put important telephone numbers on that page.   The only thing I have to pull a manual out for is when we get an error.  This really made set-up so much easier!  Good luck!
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »

jbeany and cherpep are right -- when you get it organized like you want it, it will be a piece of cake!  We, too, have found ways to make "extra" storage space in Marvin's home "clinic" -- shelves, shelves, shelves!  We label every drawer, every shelf, every cabinet in Marvin's clinic so we can quickly find and quickly re-stock his supplies.  We have a couple of "rolling" carts full of drawers that work good, too (labeled, of course, on the outside of the drawer so we know what's in them).  After a month or two, we hardly ever looked at the labels anymore -- we just knew where everything was supposed to go.  I wished we had a bigger room (it was a spare bedroom) with a bigger closet (boxes stacked in there six high), but we're making do with what we have.  It will work for you, too, but I know how overwhelming it is at first.  Hang in there -- it gets easier!
cherpep

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »

Does your Pureflo unit have a wheel base?  I had to ask specifically for one.  This is very useful for us, it allows me to wheel it out of the middle of the room when not in use. 
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »

We went and bought one today for wall-e

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; Otto's done with training :bandance; :bandance;

EDITED: fixed smiley tag error-kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:49:47 PM by kitkatz » Logged

funnygarcia

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; Otto's done with training :bandance; :bandance;

Hooray!!

Hubby and I are newbies at NxStage as well, dealing with supplies was the first big hurdle.. but it gets better once you can see and arrange it all.

I use a baby changing table (no changing pad) for all of the daily supplies, box of saline off to the side, boxes of pre-bagged in the hall closet (with the rest of the montly supplies). I cut down boxes to serve as dispensers for syringes, cartridges, etc. that way I don't have things sliding off the changing table. I restock the table about once a week.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

I've been kinda drawing up plans for mine. After the TV, wet bar, microwave, and fridge, there wasn't much room left for dialysis equipment. I guess I need to select a larger room.

Has anyone tried the new dialysis chairs?

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »