I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Otto's going to try Nxstage
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Otto's going to try Nxstage  (Read 43461 times)
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« on: June 26, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

We just got home from the Dr's office and they really think Otto will benifit from going with nxstage, they said training takes 6 weeks :banghead; but oh well. Wish us luck they are trying to get him in within the next week

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »

lola, I wish you all the luck in the world :bestwishes;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »

All the best of luck.  Sounds good to me and I bet you'll do really well.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »

I sure hope he likes Nxstage.  :thumbup;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »

Hope it works well for him - I love mine!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:53:02 PM »

Sounds great....wish I could do it

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »

I love love mine too!  Good luck!! 

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »

Marvin and I absolutely LOVE NxStage and home hemo.  He said it's the second best thing that has happened to him since he's been on dialysis (13 years and counting) -- the first best thing being his transplant.

Good luck to Otto!
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:27:08 AM »

Petey,....does Marvin dialyze during the day or at night?

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »

OK so I just heard from our Medica person and they don't know if home-hemo is covered :banghead; They said since Otto is still working and not homebound they have to check WTF :Kit n Stik; we have our meeting Tuesday at the Davita training center to go over what training is about and then they can fit Otto in starting July 7th.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

Well that's confusing.  Wouldn't home hemo be cheaper?  Not that that should be the only consideration in my opinion but I'm just trying to think like an insurance exec.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

The reimbursement should be exactly the same - that's how Medicare handles it. Most likely it is someone who is confused; doesn't understand dialysis's unique nature and insurance status.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »

My understanding is that the reimbursement is the same but the for-profit people like Davita and Frensenius actually make more profit on home dialysis.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »

Get the big stick out!  :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »

Petey,....does Marvin dialyze during the day or at night?

Flip -- it varies according to what we have going on in each day.  When I was in school (teacher), we usually dialyzed as soon as I got home from school (3:30 until about 6:30 p.m.), so we could grab supper and then have time in the evening for our other activities (little league baseball -- we're both active and coaches).  If we had an early game one day, we'd wait and dialyze at night (9 p.m. until about midnight).  On weekends, Saturday morning -- usually -- is our tx time, and Sundays it is in the evening.  Now that I'm out of school for the summer, it just depends on what's on our schedule for that day.  That's the great thing about home hemo for us -- it fits into our daily lives rather than having to be at the clinic at a set time.  Usually, before we go to bed each night, we say, "Okay, what's on the agenda for tomorrow?"  When we see what we have going on, we plan our dialysis tx for what works best for us.  Today, we had planned to dialyze first thing this morning because we had a ballgame (tournament) we wanted to go to this afternoon.  But, when Marvin got up this morning, he said, "I haven't had a day off this week.  I think I'll take today off."  So, he went out and cut the grass instead (something he's been doing since he's been on home hemo -- couldn't do for the 13 years he was in-center!!!  Go, Marvin!).  After he cut the grass, we went to the tournament, stayed all afternoon, went to eat dinner with friends, and came home.  We plan to do a tx early tomorrow morning (Sunday) because we want to go back to the tournament tomorrow afternoon.  We would like to check into home hemo nocturnal because we're very busy people; it's not offered in our area yet!

My understanding is that the reimbursement is the same but the for-profit people like Davita and Frensenius actually make more profit on home dialysis.

Checking our EOB's (Explanation of Benefits), it shows that DaVita charges almost TWICE AS MUCH for one of Marvin's home hemo treatments as they did for an in-center treatment.  Go figure!  It's OUR electricity, OUR water, NO overhead for them, I'M the nurse, etc., but they make twice as much.  I have yet to understand that.  But, I'm not complaining because we LOVE home hemo, and our insurance (Marvin has Medicare primary, and my insurance -- BCBS -- secondary) pays.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 07:07:43 AM »

Get the big stick out!  :Kit n Stik;
You know me I will hide it under my shirt  :Kit n Stik;

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »

Can you say INFORMATION OVERLOAD that is how we felt after our meeting today. Otto is going to start training on July 14th for Nxstage.  :bandance; I'm so stoked, his trainer Kelly is also a D pt so she knows what her Pt's are truly going thru. As complicated as things seem about doing home-hemo they kept saying it IS easier then it sounds at first. I can't wait for him to start feeling better and maybe feeling "normal" again. :yahoo; :yahoo;

KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »

You guys will do great...but you will be overwhelmed from time to time. Don't let that stop you.

Our trainers taught us the same way you learn a dance routine...one step at a time. Our first day, my wife did one thing and they said "ok that's it for today." Then we reviewed some chapters in the manual. The next day, the next step was taught and she put those two together and that was it for that day. We were done in 12 sessions, just one step at a time. It's the best way to do this because if you try to follow along every step right from the start, you'll go running into the street screaming.

Deep breaths, one step at a time, nice and easy...you'll do great!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

lola. don't worry.  You get to use the "cheat sheet" as long as you need it to feel comfortable.  Once you get the routine down, it will all seem easy!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:57:11 AM »

YEAH!!!!  So happy that Otto is getting to do NxStage!  It's overwhelming at first, but it gets so much easier.  The best part is, he doesn't have to be away from you and the kids 3 x a week.  6 weeks is a long time, ours was 3.  Learn as much as you can at training and as JBeany said, you have a cheat sheet you can use.  You also have us too!

Rob doesn't love dialysis, but loves being able to do it at home whenever he feels like it.  He feels sooooooooooo much better, more energy, no more  :puke; and he's home with us.

Good luck!!!!!   :bandance; :bandance;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

Otto's last day of in-center is in the morning :bandance; :bandance; I'm praying Otto feels better and stops losing weight, when he 1st got sick he weighed 250lbs and he NEEDED to lose weight but now today he got on the scale and weighs 190 ??? I think he can stop now. Just wish I could stop stuffing my face with ice cream late at night :oops; and start losing some too. Also no more "floater" tech's to mess with his arm :sir ken; :Kit n Stik;

EDITED: Fixed smiley tag error-kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:21:18 PM by kitkatz » Logged

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

:bandance; he has you in his life and what else does he need
you are a wonderful person and a sore loser at the love the most post :waving;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »

Control is a powerful thing Lola and I'm so glad you and Otto are getting some back.  All the best and I know you'll do great and love the flexibility. :cuddle; :clap; :cuddle;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

:bandance; he has you in his life and what else does he need
you are a wonderful person and a sore loser at the love the most post :waving;
:cuddle; :thx;                            :sir ken;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 02:59:39 PM »

Lola, sounds to me like you can handle all of life's challenges pretty well.   :bestwishes; to you and Otto as you go through the training.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »