I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Otto's going to try Nxstage
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Otto's going to try Nxstage  (Read 43464 times)
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »

Hey Lola.....I bet you'll look good in scrubs....gotta keep it sanitary    :bandance; :clap;

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »

Otto's thinkin fishnet and heels but I don't know if they have his size :rofl;

mark m

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

Congrats.   :clap; It can be overwhelming, you just have to take it one day at a time. It gets easier...

Life is good.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 06:37:13 PM »

If you get Otto in fishnet stockings and high heels, we want pics!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 09:25:48 AM »

I felt better the first week of training.  The frequent, short runs made a huge difference in my health right away.  Hope it works the same for Otto!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »

I felt better the first week of training. The frequent, short runs made a huge difference in my health right away. Hope it works the same for Otto!

Marvin, too, had a drastic change after just the first week of training on home hemo (NxStage).  It was similar to the week after his transplant -- really!  He had renewed strength, energy, stamina, etc.  He felt great -- and continues to feel great -- doing home hemo.  Best of luck to Otto.  We're right here if you have questions.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »

:bestwishes;  Good luck with the training. He should feel much better really soon!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »

Today was Otto's 1st day and he's amazed at how good felt after, usually he felt like crap after D but not today :yahoo; They did everything for him today but tomorrow he'll be taught his 1st step. Thanks for all your support xoxoxox :grouphug; :grouphug;

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »

..and the next day, they'll teach him another step, then another, then another, etc.  It sounds like it would all be overwhelming, but if they take Otto through it step by step, it's a piece of cake!

So glad it went well and he feels good today after tx.  I was thinking about him and worrying about him.

Go, Otto, go!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »

First day good, each next day better and better. :grouphug; :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

So happy to hear that it went well today, Lola.  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »

#2 and still feeling good :yahoo; Today they had him "watch" the steps. I hope you don't mind me posting, but I thought maybe it will let others see what Otto's doing and see another option. It's so great to see him come home not sick on D day.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »

I am glad you are posting.  I think I am brave enough to go to the NxStage center on Thursday and check it out.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »

post every day!  that's what we're here for.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Meinuk

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »

Lola, it is great that you are posting Otto's progress, it really is inspiring.  And t will help when you look back on everything a few months from now when he is settled in at home.  Some times, I go back and read my training posts and really laugh at how much easier it gets.  You are giving us a real life perspective that is priceless.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

Lola, who's going to do the sticking? I've been working on doing my own and it seems pretty easy once you get the feel.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:10 PM »

Otto is learning how to do things himself. My biggest fear is he's become WAYYYYYYYY to dependent on me and I need to step back in case I'm hit by a bus. he he

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 07:24:38 PM »

If you get to the point where Otto feels comfortable sticking his own needles, then you can train other family members and friends to help with the rest of the hands on stuff.  It's nice to have options when scheduling conflicts come up.  My mother-in-law can't stick the needles, but she is willing to do anything else that needs to be done.  It really helps to have an alternate person to help.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 02:52:21 PM »

Today when Otto got to clinic they were kinda busy, so he looked at the machine and thought how hard can this be to set up. 10 minutes later his nurse came and about fell over because this is something he has not been taught yet and he did it correct :yahoo; she told him they might as well just send him home with WALL-E(kids named it) and he can teach himself. They are betting Otto will be done in record time :bandance; I'm going with him tommorow so I can start watching and learning also. Again he felt great today. If anyone is thinking about doing this DO IT.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »

OK so now I'm a little freaked, Otto just told our neighbor he's having 2nd thought's on doing home-hemo :banghead; He says he's not gaining any "time" since now he's doing it for 5X's a week and his time is for 3 hours. He said even though he feels better he just is thinking it's not worth it :Kit n Stik; I'm going with him tommorrow so I'm gonna talk with them and him about it then. I'm just upset because I can see he feels better and I don't understand since I'm not the one on the machine H E L P!!!!!!!!!

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »

Does he have to do it 5 times a week?

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:25 PM »

Yes 5x's a week for 3 hours

Meinuk

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

His concern for time is valid, but he can schedule any time to dialyze.  (I've done it as early as 7am and as late at 11pm)  And there is no waiting for a chair or travel time.  I couldn't imagine being so young and on dialysis.  (I whinged that it cramped my style at 40)

In the end, all you can do is love him, respect his wishes and hope for the best.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »

I guess I don't understand the time difference. Is NxStage less efficient than a regular dialysis machine. I was hoping for 3 days a week if I switch over.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

lola,
yes, time is a factor in home hemo.  Marvin does treatments 6 x week, and each treatment lasts between 2:45 and 3 hours (depending on how much he has on and how much we set the machine to take off).  Let's just round it up to a three-hour treatment.  Marvin sets up his machine (takes about 30 minutes) every day, and I clean up (about 5 minutes) -- but this is not "extra" time for Marvin because he's also holding his sites while I do the break-down and clean up.  If you add it all up, it's about 3:30 every day.  Now, multiply that times 6.  Marvin spends about 21 hours a week either setting up or running.  Throw in an extra hour a week for inventory, re-stocking, etc. = 22 hours a week on home hemo.

When Marvin was in-center, his run time was 4:45 there at the end (one time during in-center, he did have to run as much as five hours).  But, let's use the 4:45, times 3 (in a week).  It was a fifteen-minute drive to and from the clinic.  Once he walked in the door, it was about 15 minutes of pre-treatment stuff (weighing, bps, etc.), and another 15-minute hold when he came off.  IF (and this is a great, big IF) he went on as soon as he got there, this procedure took 5 1/2 hours (times 3) = 17 1/2 hours per week on in-center.  (This hardly ever happened because the clinic never took him back as soon as he walked in the door).

If you figure it like this (with the best-case scenario at the clinic), he spends an extra 4 1/2 hours every week now that he's home hemo with his treatments.  (This figure is not quite accurate, as I pointed out above, because in reality we added about a half hour each in-center treatment -- sometimes more -- for it to be his "turn" to go back.)  So, subtract 1 1/2 hours on average a week (half hour x 3) from the 4 1/2.  That puts us at 3 "extra" hours a week.

What do we get for our additional 3 hours?  Marvin feels sooooooo much better on home hemo.  He has more energy, no more peaks-and-valleys (full the night before, dry the afternoon after, over and over).  He is much more comfortable here at home in our place with his "stuff" around.  He's able to drink more (because we take it off every day -- not much build up between treatments).  His labs are much, much better -- which, to us, means his overall health is better.  And, he's in control (which is a biggie to us).  We think we're getting an awful lot for that extra 3 hours every week because it makes the hours when he's not running so much better.  Other people may not like the trade-off, but it works for us.

I will say, however, that this home hemo wouldn't work for Marvin and me if we didn't BOTH "buy into it."  If Marvin didn't think it was worth it for him personally, we'd go back to in-center tomorrow.

This is a big decision, a big commitment, and a big responsibility for Otto and for you. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »