I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Drinking alcohol
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drinking alcohol  (Read 15810 times)
melissahumm

« on: June 25, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »

Since my son is 19,he has been asking about if he will ever be able to drink.  Can anybody tell me what their experience is.  I am not encouraging him to drink,but he is a normal teenager and temptations may arise.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »

Not sure while on dialysis because I never tried. After transplant, my transplant center says an occasional drink is ok, beer or wine. Hard alcohol though they want you to stay away from.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:04:38 PM »

I'm assuming that your son is on dialysis or close to it. At 19, he's still legally too young but that is your decision. I'm on dialysis and I still drink a few but my numbers and urine output are still good. Beer should probably be avoided due to the potassium content.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »

I have an occasional drink (some times even a couple) - I see nothing wrong in giving the liver something to do putting aside the age question.

I've always said that with dialysis it is the amount of fluid more than type of fluid.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »

I've always said that with dialysis it is the amount of fluid more than type of fluid.

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
cabarle

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »

I do not drink beer, but occasionally have a glass of red wine. I would estimate I drink 1 glass/month. My nephrologist, nurse and wife all know about it and assured me 1 glass/month would not do any damage. 
Meinuk

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:30 AM »

I drink too.  And I have to say, I really enjoy the social aspect of drinking more now that I am dialyzing 5 times a week on NxStage.  Having a couple of drinks out with friends is generally the highlight of my week, or picking out some wine to have with dinner at home.

Your son is showing good judgment and maturity in the way that he is integrating his friends into his Nxstage therapy.  I remember what my life was like at 19, and I don't know if I would have been able to do what he is doing.

As far as youthful temptations, the fact that he is asking about it just shows that he is considering the impact.  (I think that is a good sign)  The freedom that NxStage gives you with regard to diet takes a bit of getting used to.  (I still have to remind myself to add potassium to my diet)  The most important thing is that your son gets to know his body and how it reacts to different foods/drinks.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
melissahumm

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »

Just to clarify,I know that my son is not old enough,and I am not ok'ying drinking.  I am however,a realist and know what it is like to be in college!!  I know that he would never do anything to put himself in danger he was just curious and embarrased to ask a Doctor for fear of a judgemental response.  You know how that is!!! It is just nice to hear from others. Thanks!!!
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »

I know what you mean
my son is going to Texas A&M
the police chief was the first speaker
and they were warned---- they will go to jail--
Allen is only 18
so, who knows
I can only hope that if he does drink, he will drink very little
I think all teens will drink but hopefully not to the extreme
when the head coach told the football players to stop drinking coke like drinks, Allen stopped "cold turkey"
so I can hope he will listen again
Allen is not on dialysis but he does have a big chance of having PKD
Sunday he is going to start football at A&M and the players have to go to summer school :'(

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »

Rob isn't a big drinker, but does have a beer now and then.  He'll take a couple of binders with it and be fine.  His labs are great so he can afford to do this. 

It's all about moderation.  Heck, he still eats cheeseburgers!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:49:55 AM »

mmmm I can has Cheeseburger.... :D

Absolutely re moderation.... drink within your limits (fluid, phosphates) and all is fine. I drink a little bit when the situation dictates... a max of 2 beers more for the fluids than anything else... and you just have to make up for it elsehwere. If I know there will be a social situation coming up then I prepare for it and it's OK and that way I can fit in and participate which is the important thing.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 09:11:39 AM »

I never drink beer anymore because of the fluid volume. The average cocktail is only 4-5 oz and fits my fluid allotment much better.

Trikkechickk

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »

I never drink beer anymore because of the fluid volume. The average cocktail is only 4-5 oz and fits my fluid allotment much better.

Yes, and 4 - 5 oz can still get the "job" done!
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

So I gotta ask...has anyone ventured into the world of non-alcoholic beers? While I'd like to pretend to still be able to drink now and then, I wonder if those things are worth the fluid they are made of and should I just be content with my cranberry juice or sprite?

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »

They are not bad especially if you just like the taste of beer. I'm not sure if they have the same amount of phosphorus and potassium as regular beer.

KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 06:25:31 AM »

YEah I should check that out...

I spent so many years believing that if you're going to drink beer, drink beer and if you're not, don't pretend....funny how your perspective can change, huh???

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 06:14:49 PM »

I tried fake beer once and only once at a bar, YUCK!!!!!!  :puke;  I could not finish it whats so ever, not even two ounces worth. This was however when they first came out with non alcoholic beers, but after that, I'm not willing to try especialy when it cost the same as a regular beer. :urcrazy; :banghead;

I'll stick to my dark beer everyonce in a blue moon in Feb, Apr, and Nov. Well maybe this August would be an excption.  ;D

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »

Ever hear of the old bluegrass song "Blue Moon of Kentucky Keep on Shining"? It works for us.

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »

Hubby has a beer or a glass of wine occasionally.  Beer more often during the summer - a nice cold beer on a hot day  :2thumbsup;.  He is on nocturnal 5 nights a week so the potassium, phosphorus and fluid aren't any big deal.  In the summer he usually has to drink a lot more fluid because he loses a lot through sweat!!  He had to drink 500 ml extra a couple of nights ago before he hooked up because he was below his dry weight.  He drank a coke!!!  What a treat!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »

You talkin' about that there moony shine.  You been makin' it in the back wooded lot of yer property! Be careful of those revenuers!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »

Actually you can make up to a certain amount for your own personal use. Similar to making your own wine or beer at home. It's pretty much legal as long as you don't try to sell it. I strictly use it for medicinal purposes.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »

Yeah...Uh huh... and Uncle Sam and his revenuers are not looking for you and a still?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

I have developed a new drink that is totally awesome. I call it the Kidney Kocktail.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;
or put it on that tv show------ Greatest's American Inventors :beer1; :beer1; :beer1
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »

1 jigger vodka
1 jigger kahlua
1 can vanilla Nepro (chilled)

shake well and enjoy

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »