I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Do you as a patient feel that you are in charge of your care?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you as a patient feel that you are in charge of your care?  (Read 6817 times)
bioya

« on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »

I have experience in dialysis in both a chain center (as everyone knows DaVita) as well as my first experience at an independent center.  I would like to know if you, as a patient, feel that you are in charge of your care and that your concerns seem to matter to staff. My question revolves around the fact that the independent centers (at least the one I worked for) seem to be more willing in my experience to work with the patient, and take the patients thoughts, feelings and concerns into their decision making process.
I am curious, if you will, to let me know if you feel you are a part of the ‘team’ or if they just listen to you, nod their head, then do what they are going to anyway.
You know, you are the chairman of the board (so to speak).  The clinics should be looking out for your best interest, doing things to make you as healthy as possible, and giving you the right amount of medications that are dosed on your most recent lab results.  But no matter what, you have the final say. Please use your right and if you feel that at some point you may not be able to voice your wishes, then designate a MPOA and put your wishes in writing. Also, make sure your MPOA has the gonads to stand up for what you want. 
You people amaze me. There is no way I could deal with dialysis. I know I am just too big of a coward. I envy your courage and determination.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »

my  dialysis  center  is  run  by  the  nurses  for  the  nurses  and  the  patients  come  a  distant  second. :banghead;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00:43 PM »

I spent a year at a dialysis center that was run privately. It was awful. Most of the nurses and techs wanted you to sit down, let them hook you up, run your course, and take you off. They didn't like questions and they didn't want you bothering to learn what anything on the machine meant or did.

After getting frustrated enough at the head nurse one night, I told my husband I was NOT going to dialyze again until I was in a new center. A wonderful Davita clinic took me in immediately so I did not have to miss a treatment. I hate that I spent a year at that awful center and wasted my time when I could have been at the Davita center.

I'm not saying every Davita is as great as this. But I have been to three Davita centers and 2 were great at patient care.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »

I'm not at a chain clinic.  I'm in control of my care, as much as I can be.  I do home hemo, which helps a lot - but my staff is willing to work with me when I want something done my way.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:11:55 AM by jbeany » Logged

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »

I am in charge (at least until Davita takes over). I tell them what machine settings I want and have no problems.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:21:02 AM »

I am at a hospital unit.

I feel "mostly in charge" - in that most of the time the nurses treat me with respect and listen to what I have to say - from little things like a pump speed setting I want or temprature or if I want a profile set on the machine. They usually oblige when I ask for the monthly lab results... mostly I think because I think I'm about the only patient who actually ever asks and wants to know (that I've noticed anyway). I think also because I've hopefully demonstrated in the past 2 years that I take in what information I've given and have some understanding of what it all means.

There are a couple of nurses though that act differently and treat me like a bit of either an idiot or like they're in charge and you have no say. There's one, for example, who doesn't believe in using UF profiles and whenever I request one she's very quick to say no "you don't need that" and whatever (I just get one of the nice ones to do it when she's gone :) ).

I do realise though that I don't "know it all" (hardly!) and am always open to be educated more about things but in general I feel like I am an active member of my "team" - and that's the way it should be.. I feel it empowers me to know more about where I'm at so I can do things like look after my diet more, or make the extra effort with fluids because at the end of the day if I don't care about myself and what is going on.. then who will?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:39:33 AM »

I feel pretty much in charge (hospital unit for now but I go today to the self=care clinic where I'll be more in charge.)  I also try to be clear with staff about how important it is for them to tell me what it is they're doing when they do it.  Young doctor last night was asking the nurse about why they had switched my dialysate and she really didn't know because she wasn't on duty when the decision had been made so I told him that it would be best to ask me since I was actually present.  I did it in a joking kind of way and he laughed and then asked me about it and said sorry for ignoring me. 

I think they need to be reminded or informed when we don't feel included in things involving our care.  I feel very respected by the staff and like you RM I try to do my part with the fluid and the diet.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:59:13 AM »

I feel in control with my dialysis centre staff (100% in control of my treatments themselves). If I have a question or a concern, my nurses listen to me and make sure every thing they do is ok with me. If I need to change my dry weight or run five days instead of six for one week because of travel, surgery, etc., I ask them and they always work with me to get/change what I need. As much as I like my nephrologist, however, it's a little harder for me to feel "in control" with her. She has her ways of doing things and it's hard to get her to think otherwise. I had to practically get on my knees and beg to switch from home hemo to PD. I had to kind of exaggerate and tell her that since I'm moving, it will be 100% IMPOSSIBLE for me to do home hemo (or in-centre for that matter). It would actually be possible, but it would be a lot harder. All that being said, she did eventually see my point, and I can now switch to PD. There is always room for improvement, but I'm lucky so far. My previous centre on the other hand, well thats another story (see some of my earlier rants, uh, I mean posts).

Adam
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:01:19 AM by Adam_W » Logged

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

I find that the higher up the food chain a provider is, the more listening they do, provided you know what you are talking about.   My neph is great - I've emailed him during treatment and had an order change phoned in to the clinic before treatment was done ("doc, the filter is clotting, do I need more heparin?"); the RN's listen to my requests for fluid removal, flow rate, etc.  (450 with lines reversed on the cath); it's the techs that are problematic and are not always as willing to listed to my requests and explain they will not give me the settings I am asking for because they know better (something I would take seriously from the doc or RN).   I've also found that direct communication with the doc (emailing his iphone) may not change the ultimate decisions, but is speeds things up by a treatment or two.  If I have filter clotting on Tuesday and wait for the normal reports and rounds to filter it up to the doc it may take a few treatments for a change to be made; if I email the doc directly the change happens in time for the Thursday treatment.    When I noticed my Kt/V was a bit below the clinic goal of 1.4, I emailed during treatment asking for a 180 filter and the order was into the clinic in time for the next treatment.  (no way to get a 200 without approval from the Fresenius p&t committee, which really should stand for price&toll).   

I'm in amazement at these people who "never talk to their neph" - mine is in constant contact - heard from him via email last Fri, Sat and Sun.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:09:29 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »

I agree with being in contact with your nephrologist.  I do home hemo in an open referral clinic.  This means that although I signed off on using their protocols (DaVita), my nephrologist (who is NOT the medical director of the clinic) has to approve everything.  I appreciate this because my nephrologist and I are definitely on the same wavelength, which does not always jive with what DaVita's protocols are.  I know that ultimately, my nephrologist has my back on everything.
Angiepkd

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:46 PM »

I feel like I am very much an active participant in my care. I do NxStage home hemo, so I am very much in charge of my actual treatments. There are still things I rely on my HHD nurse and nephrologist for, and I don't always know the reason things are done a certain way. I can and do always ask questions which all of my care team does their best to answer.  I receive copies of my labs via the DaVita care portal as well as paper copies at my clinic visit.  So far, this has all worked well.  As my dialysis journey continues, I plan on learning as much as possible. This site has been a huge help with that!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
iKAZ3D

06/08/2013

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »

my  dialysis  center  is  run  by  the  nurses  for  the  nurses  and  the  patients  come  a  distant  second. :banghead;

AMEN. ESPECIALLY at a Children's Unit.

August 16th, 1996 - Born in Sacramento, CA; Born with Posterior Urethral Valves
September 2008 - Large Reconstruction, bladder augmented, stoma placed and ureters fixed
September 2010 - Needed emergency hip surgery for Slipped Capital Femoral Epithysis
September 2010 - Started Dialysis without refusal (Big mistake)
Summer/Fall 2011 - "Inactivated" on the Inactive Transplant List
October 2012 - Activated on the transplant list
November 30th, 2012 - Surgeons threatening to not to a transplant based on weight
April 25th, 2013 - Lost 25 pounds (97kg), however developed highly resistant bladder bacteria, Inactivated from list until eradicated
May 15th, 2013 - Finally cleared of the bacteria, reactivating on list imminent.
May 24th, 2013 - Reactivated on the list!
June 8th, 2013 - Transplant!
June 19th, 2013 - Dialysis Catheter officially removed and returned home from the hospital!
June 21st, 2016 - Sleeve Gastrectomy
March 11th, 2019 - Revision to Gastric Bypass
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »