I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Successful Transplant! - One year later!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Successful Transplant! - One year later!  (Read 19702 times)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 07:02:11 AM »

Stephen just headed out the door for Texas.  He'll be performing guitar concerts in Tomball on January 10 and San Antonio on January 11.  Tomorrow he is giving a workshop in Houston for high school kids in the district's music program.  This marks the beginning of an incredibly busy year for him.  I am afraid to count the days on the calendar, but I know from what I've looked at so far that he will be on the road for more than a third of 2009, including some trips that are 3-4 weeks long.  This is how life once was for us, and he can only do it again because he is so healthy after the transplant. For that I am forever grateful. Still, I have certainly grown accustomed to having him around the house this past year and a half  :guitar:

Stephen recently wrote a piece for the Walnut Valley Music Festival (Winfield Kansas) newsletter, which was published in December.  If you've been reading this thread, you may remember that it was his first venture back "on the road" as a guitar player following the transplant.  The festival almost didn't go off because of a hurricane that flooded the midwest. The festival folks have posted the entire piece on their website  :) as well, so I thought I would post a little bit of it here.  I've excerpted mostly the part about his experiences the after effects of  transplantation.  Those who know Stephen know that he deals with most trials in life with humor.  I think part of that comes through below.

"Winfield 2008:

I suppose many things can be said about this year’s Festival, the 37th annual occasion of this event that has become a tradition for so many of us.  Though it could be said that there are thousands of different perceptions in any given year (because there are thousands of us that descend upon the place) – there is certainly enough about the Festival that makes it a richly shared experience. 

The Festival is something that binds us together, and in an ever more rapidly paced and too often fragmented world, wouldn’t you agree that those things that bind us together just a little bit more - are precious indeed?  Good, I thought so…

I have been to most of the Festivals since 1983, when I first attended.  Not all of them, but most.  When my son was born in August of 1990, I couldn’t very well take off for Kansas a month later.  And I’ve missed a couple of other years here and there.  I almost missed 2001, but finally made it to Stage I just about midnight on Friday, a moment I will never forget.  As I write this, a memory just popped into my head of the flight out of Norfolk that morning.  There were just a couple of passengers on the plane, as I recall, and we were moved into first class. And I remember the flight attendant saying something like “home of the brave – yeah, right”. 

I wasn’t in attendance last year, so 2008 was a return year for me. 

A lot had happened to me since I was last in this place.  In March of this year my kidneys were removed as the result of a degenerative disease.  I went on dialysis for a couple of months and in May I received a kidney transplant.  In case you’re thinking this sounds like fun, I don’t recommend any of this for recreational purposes.  It’s not nearly as much fun as you might think, so you really just want to do these things if they are necessary, trust me…

In my case, they were necessary.  And as un-fun as it all was, the end result is that I am a healthier person that I have been in a long time, something for which I am profoundly grateful.  November 14 marked six months since my transplant.

Let me also say a heartfelt thanks to all of you out there (and there were many) that sent good healing wishes in my direction during that time. Thank you very, very much!

Returning to Winfield after all of this had other layers of meaning for me as well.  I really didn’t play guitar for a few months during the height of these medical adventures.  It took me a while to get my chops back to where I could actually play with some degree of finesse again.  I played some shows with Tommy Emmanuel 3 weeks after my transplant (don’t tell my doctors) and while I made it through reasonably well, it was clear to me that my body’s chemistry had changed.  While that was a really good thing for my physical health, there were other, somewhat worrisome implications for my musical well-being.  For one thing, I realized that I wasn’t getting adrenalin into my system.  Whatever the reason, my usual pre-show nervous energy wasn’t getting converted into useful stage performance energy as I was used to.  Though I would be apparently well warmed up backstage before I would go on, once I started to play, it was as if my hands had somehow turned into claws.  This was what I was dealing with all summer as I started to play a few gigs again locally in Virginia - and what I was worrying about as I headed west to Winfield.  I played a show in Knoxville, Tennessee on my way and that went great.  Of course, I played a 4 hour show and was truly warmed up by the time I stopped.

I experienced some minor issues at the Festival, which made the beginnings of some of my sets a little stiff.  But fortunately, my fingers always gradually came alive and though even if I had the ability to go back and re-do some of my performances, there are some I wouldn’t change a note of.  My Saturday night set on Stage 2 was a particular blast...."

If you want to read the entire piece or learn more about this amazingly fun festival, link to:

http://www.wvfest.com/

You have to use the link "Stephen Bennett's view from the stage" under the photo to get to the newsletter piece.
 :guitar:

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »

That's great, thanks for posting it! I'd love to hear him play someday!  :beer1;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a way to link to his guitar playing so we could hear it.
I'm so glad to know he is doing well.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWCHGxHiwrc

Here he is, playing and singing "What a wonderful World".

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »

Makes me think of our Susie.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

Thats awesome best wishes  :clap;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »

I kind of like this one too.  This was shot during his last overseas trip (to Germany) before dialysis and transplant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHnxBODb-C8&feature=related

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »

:clap; :guitar: :clap;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »

Congratulations!!!!   :guitar:  :bestwishes;  :bandance;

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »

:guitar:   Love it!

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2009, 10:23:30 PM »

Nice. Thank you.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:35 AM »

Okay, here's one more fun one - a piece he wrote for our cats.  It's filmed at a place called Kulak's Woodshed in North Hollywood, CA.  It was kind of cool because they streamed the show live over the web and folks from all around the country were watching and sending in requests.  This is also filmed during Stephen's long hair phase.  It was kind of a down time in life for him as he began to realize that he was on the way to parting with his kidneys for real.  Luckily I got him to pull the hair back. There are some pieces up on youtube where he is looking pretty ragged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KQKeWa-XNE

Generally, I would have to say that it's more fun to be at a show then it is to watch one of these clips. During the shows he is witty and engaging (I sound objective, don't I?  :rofl;), but the clips mostly catch him while he is playing and concentrating! :guitar:

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »

:secret; It was 9 months on Valentines Day!  Stephen leaves on a three week trip tomorrow.  He's going to British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California.  Just like the good ole days... (thank you Michael, thank you kidney donors everywhere!) :guitar:

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »

Kidneyversaries are the best!!! 

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »

We went to dinner tonight to celebrate Stephen's one year kidneyversary.  It's an incredible feeling to be at this point.  Humbling.  We remain forever grateful to Michael for giving us this gift.

Stephen has had few problems since the transplant.  The only real incident has been this week.  He just returned home on Monday night from a 3 week trip to Europe.  He was very tired and a bit ragged looking when I picked him up at the airport.  I think that even he will admit that it took a bit out of him (four countries and more than a dozen concerts in 3 weeks).  He managed to catch a cold, had a little eye infection and then a bit of a fever.   The fever or the eye would be enough to worry me, but not him (he never worries).  I was on IHD right away searching "cold" and "infection".  Reading W&W's post about Len's first cold and fever on his one year kidneyversary and his course of antibiotics and Karol's post about Jenna having a cold and a slight fever, and knowing that they both got better quickly :) eased my worries...  Stephen's been on Bactrim for a couple of days, his eye has cleared, the fever has subsided and he's feeling fine. 

He spoke to Michael this morning and they were laughing up a storm about something, as always.  Michael says he's feeling no effects of the donation at all.

I guess we never know what life has in store for us.  For now my husband is focusing on doing what the transplant clinic told him is #1 when you get a transplant - live your life!  Next month we're going to southern Utah and the Grand Canyon for a week.  It's something we've always wanted to do and I am really looking forward to it. 

I really appreciate my IHD friends for being with us on the journey this past year.  You understand in a way that few others can.  :cuddle;

I haven't been that good about keeping track of Stephen's creatinine and meds, except here on IHD, so just for the record:

creatinine - 1.0
prograf - 3 mg am, 3 mg pm
cellcept - 750 mg am, 750 mg pm
prednisone - 10 mg am/7.5 mg am; on alternate days
baby aspirin - 1x day
pepcid - 1 am, 1 pm
Labetalol - 200 mg am, 200 mg pm
Mag-Ox 4x a day
K Phos Neutral 4x a day
Zetia 5 mg am
Pravastatin 20 mg pm

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »

:yahoo; Great report! I am so happy to hear Stephen is doing better. That's quite an accomplishment to travel and do so many concerts! Best wishes to Stephen and Michael on the kidneyversary - and to you too pelagia - caregiver extraordinaire!
 :bandance;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2009, 04:51:57 AM »

:flower; :flower; :flower;

Terrific that Stephen's doing so well.  And that he has you to worry about the things he doesn't fret over.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

:clap;
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »

:2thumbsup; Glad to hear he's doing well.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »

:flower; Yay!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Jill D.

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »

Happy Kidneyversary...and many, many more!  :cheer:

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :flower;

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »

thank you all  :guitar:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »