I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  PreK Activities
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PreK Activities  (Read 8323 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 10:01:53 PM »

twirl, everyone at my center knows the only reason you wake me up is if i'm bleeding to death or the building is on fire. the only exception is the doctor. he comes only to see patients everyone else has an office there. if they want to talk to me they wait till i'm awake. as each dietion or social worker leaves (we've had quite a turnover) they pass the information on to the new one (i have them well trained)

there is a perfect attendance bulletin board at my center. believe me i told them what i think if it.

no games, the only thing i would like would be wireless, so i could pass the time with a laptop, which i will buy once i can use it.

i watch tv, read, sleep and do sudoku puzzles and crochet

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »

I'm with you Grammalady. No wakey the patient. I have warned them I tend to wake up snarling if they wake me up suddenly.  However sometimes the blood pressure gets really low and the tech girds her loins and wakes me up and tells me to move around a little. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »

so this month I got no bucks for attendance
had to leave 15 minutes early to make another doc's appointment that D set for me
and who cares?
not me
I am buck free.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »

Buck free?? How could you?   :rofl;

Make your own bucks and bring them in and hand them out to the workers, but only if they are good to you and get to the machine alarms within 30 seconds. The tech gets five bucks if they stick you without hurting you.  Five for getting you on quickly.  Two bucks for not making you wait. The dietitian can earn bucks from you.  One for getting your report to you in a timely manner.  Two for a decent conversation adult to adult.  The nurses could earn a buck for giving you your meds and taking your vitals.   :sarcasm;

I had to sign the AMA this week because I was at a class for work from 8-4.  I told them I would be late. The center was nice about it and ran be three and half hours even though they had to stay late.  On the AMA I made them write that my run time was shortened due to my work schedule. I had to be in that curriculum class the entire time, no excuses.  A state mandated program for math teachers.  At least it was during my break time and not during class.  Although five 8 hour days with 50 teachers about drove me mad!  I love teachers and I love networking and talking to them but 8 hours for five days about standards and math?

I will join you in being buck free as I am ticket free at my center due to my phosphorous being 5.6 instead of 5.5 last week and high last month when they checked.  TTHHHBBBTTT!  I say!

How about if we trade my nonexistent tickets for your nonexistent bucks!  :bandance;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »

COOL            and I'm going to do it
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »

Buck free?? How could you?   :rofl;

Make your own bucks and bring them in and hand them out to the workers, but only if they are good to you and get to the machine alarms within 30 seconds. The tech gets five bucks if they stick you without hurting you.  Five for getting you on quickly.  Two bucks for not making you wait. The dietitian can earn bucks from you.  One for getting your report to you in a timely manner.  Two for a decent conversation adult to adult.  The nurses could earn a buck for giving you your meds and taking your vitals.   :sarcasm;

I had to sign the AMA this week because I was at a class for work from 8-4.  I told them I would be late. The center was nice about it and ran be three and half hours even though they had to stay late.  On the AMA I made them write that my run time was shortened due to my work schedule. I had to be in that curriculum class the entire time, no excuses.  A state mandated program for math teachers.  At least it was during my break time and not during class.  Although five 8 hour days with 50 teachers about drove me mad!  I love teachers and I love networking and talking to them but 8 hours for five days about standards and math?

I will join you in being buck free as I am ticket free at my center due to my phosphorous being 5.6 instead of 5.5 last week and high last month when they checked.  TTHHHBBBTTT!  I say!

How about if we trade my nonexistent tickets for your nonexistent bucks!  :bandance;

:rofl;                  OMGosh!   I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!               :rofl;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »

OMG

kitkatz we are two of a kind  

let's do a breakfast club
I want to be the noncompliant chick and you be the rich chick
Breakfast Club - The Sequel 
( did they learn anything, apparently not)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 08:15:58 AM »

Not sure I can be the rich kid, not sophisticated enough. Can I be the one that throws things at the teacher?  And makes the comments?

lifenotonthelist.com

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 01:14:57 PM »

Personally, I think the big dialysis providers should hire Twirl and send her to units all around the country to do stand-up comedy.  I think she'd be a natural at it.  Or maybe Twirl and Kitkatz should go together.  Or, wait, maybe there should be an IHD comedy troupe.  All of you are entirely too entertaining and you sure do beat bingo of any kind. :twocents;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »

I want to be the first to book Kitkatz and Twirl to do their routine at my unit.  Together with Ray, the hilarious male nurse who works there...I've got to recount some Ray tales one of these days...I'd be laughing the whole time.  Maybe I'd beg for five hours instead of four...nah, I'd book them for a three day a week gig and have fun every D day.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 01:54:46 PM »

Why are social workers involved with this rubbish?  They could pay someone minimum wage to man a cart of "prizes".  I suspect the thinking is that this will help to build rapport with patients but it's a silly practice and patients need real support and advocacy from social workers.  Just look at all the topics and questions that arise on a board like this, everything from finances to sexuality issues, addiction to travel planning.  Look at how much benefit we derive from talking with each other here and gaining support from each other here.  And it's not just patient to patient.  The caregivers who care know our issues inside out and we find it helpful to  "talk" with them about our worries, fears etc.  Why isn't the social worker involved in this way?  The social worker ought to be learning all he/she can about the life issues that affect people in general (and these are different at every stage of life and different again for each individual) then throw a huge monkey wrench (a serious chronic illness )into the mix and there should be enough to keep one very very busy in a unit.  They also have to learn all they can about the meds, the diet, dialysis, the side effects, the countless procedures and on and on.  They have to get close as if in our skins and then pull back so as to be objectively helpful and do their job.  They should not be learning which dollar store has the best price on back scratchers.  That may have a place in a unit along with activities but I don't think it's a SW's role.

Sorry for this rant but I do remember the totally useless SWs who annoyed the crap out of me with their silly questions and profound lack of understanding of what was on my mind.  And I compare them all to one who was a serious, caring person, equipped with a sense of humour because seriousness can be overrated, who could not make ESRD go away but who could tolerate just being with me as I faced the painfulness and grief of what was happening in my life, who could just sit and listen as I got things out of my mind and into words, who agreed that life was unfair but never got overwhelmed by my chaotic rush of emotions.  I was overwhelmed and she helped me to do what I needed to do.  She was the eye of my personal hurricane and I learned from her how to do some of that for myself. I wasn't her "friend" nor was she mine.  She helped me to learn how to ask questions of my medical team.  We'd role play what I'd say to a nurse who had pissed me off for example because I was young and conflicted about how to handle it all.  And if all was OK with me she'd be pleasant, ask directly how I was doing and move on to someone else who needed to unload or find resources or just feel understood that day or someone who wanted to make an appointment to meet in her office for a bigger block of time.  I remember still how she introduced herself the first time, asked how I was doing, I said fine and she said "No, I mean how are you really doing with this disease and with everything it's brought into your life?"  Maybe I should have pretended to be asleep,  I hadn't planned on crying so much that day.

Leave Twirl alone when she's sleeping.  That's really all I had planned to say.!!!    

AMEN monrein

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »

today I got no bone bucks b/c I was 10 minutes late one morning
so I asked well, do I get counted off when the techs put me on late
I got no answer
of course, I do not care
and I was told you have no bone bucks anyway b/c you give them away
damn right and I will continue too
this lady, with not much money, is trying to get a radio thing for her son
but
and here is the good part
we got a back scratcher, a plastic bracelet and a squeeze stress duck thing
isn't life good
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »

SShhh Twirl, don't broadcast those "prizes" over the cyber waves....everyone will want to be on dialysis for the perks.   :rofl; :rofl;  Stupid bone bucks!!!!

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »

People on dialysis are usually adults and money does not need to be wasted on this foolishness.  All it does is make most of the patients feel as if they are being treated as children!!  Hubby would not have appreciated any of those activities.  Money would be better spent to have social workers talk to patients about their concerns and have a private place to do that after or before treatment.  Monrein hubby had a couple of nurses at the unit he was at the really livened up the atmosphere with their comedy.  Hubby took his turn at this as well.  :beer1; He always tried to make people laugh so that they would feel better.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

You got a ducky! How special for you Twirl!   Ask them if you can auction it on Ebay for a lot of money!

lifenotonthelist.com

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »

I would auction my duck on e-bay but he had no underwear
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »

Oh man.

The dietician brought me my blood work results last night. The paper has smileys all over it and a frown face for phosphorous.  I told her not to put the smiley faces.  I am not two years old.  I am 45. I know the blood levels. Been    doing this almost ten years. Can you believe it! Smiley faces!

lifenotonthelist.com

Gramapat

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »

I guess I'm weird .....  either that or I'm still childish because I don't mind the smiley faces. :P  I can look at my papers and see right away what labs were or weren't good.

We had a contest last month.  If your phosphorous was okay on your July labs you got a ticket to put in a drawing.  All the prizes were things that the Center had received free from medical places.  I won a nice bag that is perfect for my DVD player and a small snack ( that I now eat while watching a movie).  Again, I guess I'm weird because if they want to give me something because my phosphorous is good, I think that's great.  I love my new bag.   :)

Every few months the Center has a "party".   You can come in on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon between 2 and 5 for socializing and food.  They make dialysis friendly food.  I've only been there for it once because I got called in early.  I go in at 6:30 p.m. and am not going to go in early for their party.  The food was actually good - my hubby loved it. LOL!  They had a sheet of paper with the recipes on it so you could make the food at home.  They had recipes for meatballs, dip and I forget what else.  I thought that was a good idea for the people who are at the Center during that time. 

I saw on our calendar that there was bingo last Tuesday and Wednesday.  I don't know how it was played because I missed my dialysis on Wednesday.  I'll have to ask about that if I remember.  As far as I know that was the first time bingo was played there since I've been going (November 2007).
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »

The only group activity at my center that I enjoyed was when the Humane Society brought in kittens for everyone to cuddle.  That only happened once in the 9 months I was in-center, though.

Kit, if they are going to give you smiley faces and stickers just like kindergarten, I think you should demand cookies and milk as well as a recess!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »

No recess offered here at my center unfortunately.

lifenotonthelist.com

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »

recess is the time between when you should be put on and when you are put on
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »

Then they need a swing set.  I do not have that problem. When I roll in they are ready for me to get on. I am the last one on, last one off again!

lifenotonthelist.com

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »

yes Kitkatz, but you sleep with them :clap;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »