I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  HGH Human Growth Hormone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HGH Human Growth Hormone  (Read 12205 times)
migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« on: May 15, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »

The nurse who is creating my buttonholes is assisting in a clinical trial in which patients are given HGH.
She said the results are positive so far but was not specific.

She did however recommend that i ask my Dr. for a prescription of HGH.
I'm a little hesitant because i keep thinking of those monster steriod body-builders but then again they take enough to give an elephant a rush.
I also know of a fellow gym member who shot himself after he had damaged his heart to 7% function. Amateur by the way. Didn't even make pro.

I was told also from an ex-coworker who had AIDS that his Dr. regularly prescribed HGH for him and many AIDS patients receive them.

My nurse also told me that one of her patients in the trial , a 76 year old man, was able to get back to work right away! Although, she or him do not know if
he was given a placebo or not.

The dose is very small and controlled. The FDA is involved and also monitors the amount of HGH given.
She claims some Dr.'s already do it but its rare and that this trial is being done to show that it should be implemented into normal ESRD routine.

From your guys collective experience what do you think? should i try and get some?
I'm sluggish half the time and the other half im decent. Never really on the bad side
but i do know a pick me up would be great. Oh yeah, and the recent topic of sex drive, Im sure that would improve.

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »

I wish they had given me some when I was a kid. Maybe I could have grown an few more inches! ;) I'm not sure I even know what HGH even does for adults. Someone help me out... what are the benefits?

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »

Studies with steroids have been done many years ago and they showed great results.  They work especially well when combined with current anemia therapy of epo or aranesp.

Years ago they actually use to give us deca  for anemia treatment.

Problem is now dr.'s hear the word steroid and freak out and only point to the negative effects that can happen with their use.  Most of which do not occur at therapeutic doses of the drugs.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »

I recently took steroids for an inflamation. The energy and stamina boost is awesome but the side effects aren't very good (sodium retention and fluid gain).

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »

I recently took steroids for an inflamation. The energy and stamina boost is awesome but the side effects aren't very good (sodium retention and fluid gain).

Steroids given for inflammation are corticosteroid which differ from the anabolic steroids such as HGH, Deca, and Test.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »

From your guys collective experience what do you think? should i try and get some?

Check to see what the negatives are with HGH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGH_controversies

Discus them with your Doctor, then go for it!
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »

yeah , its like predinsone, a steroid but only fights inflammation. I dont think it affects in any other way.

Deca is something the bodybuilders used to take in the late 90's.........
but i guess your right a therapeutic levels its safer.

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

I have heard "movie stars" use this to keep their youthful body appearance. I have an inkling that in low doses it could work, but the long term use
may pose additional health problems. From personal experience I will say that prednisone in large doses was hell. But when they finally weaned me down to
low doses, the side effects weren't as bad. Being on this medicine for 6 months gave my body very defined muscle definition. I had the body of someone ten years
younger with no fat, tight skin, and no cellulite. It also effected my sexual appetite very nicely. I'm sure my husband sometimes wonders what happened after
going off of it. I had the energy to swim laps at the local gym, which I could never do now. Drawbacks: puffy face and abdomen, deeper voice, "roid rage" (i.e. quick to anger),
possibility of bone loss, cancer, diabetes. Anyway, the levels you are talking about and the type of steroid you are talking about may be of some benefit,
though how it will effect you in the long run is an unknown.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
greco02

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »

My husband has a condition where his body overproduces GH.  He is Acromegalic.  He has lots of problems associated with the condition and he would be the first to tell you it ain't pretty.  Excess GH can lead to diabetes, kidney failure, arthritis, enlarged facial features, enlarged hands and feet and also can affect your vision.  This is an endocrine problem and I thought I read somewhere that you can cause Acromegely if you take too much HGH.  Just one more thing to put in your body...be your own advocate and do your research.  Don't let anyone talk you into doing or taking anything unless you do your homework.   
TeenHatesDialysis

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »

My daughter has been on Nutropin, a HGH, since 10/1/07. She was 13 years old at the time and only 4'7" due to kidney failure. She has grown 4 1/2" in the past 19 months (15 years old and almost 5' tall). She continuously reminds me that she has injected herself more than 500 times to get those 4 1/2 inches.

I know that HGH is used in adults to help bone density and cholesterol when the body fails to produce enough HGH.

I think HGH has been extremely helpful for my daughter and she does not seem to have any adverse side effects from it.

Susan, mom of Jaclyn, Deziree and Valerie

www.cotaforjaclynp.com
Jaclyn and Deziree diagnosed CKD 2/07; NPHP (type 1) 9/07
Jaclyn started dialysis 1/2/08
Successful Transplant 7/4/2009 at Lucile Packard Childrens Hospital @ Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
Deziree in denial
Jaclyn listed 5/08
Deziree listed 1/09 ("Inactive")
Jaclyn Cadaver kidney transplant 7/4/09 (Independence from dialysis day!)
Julius

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 02:52:41 AM »

Human growth hormone plays several significant roles in...

•   Conversion of body fat to muscle mass
•   Energy level
•   Growth of all tissues
•   Tissue repair
•   Cell replacement
•   Enzyme production
•   Whole body healing
•   Bone strength
•   Sexual function
•   Brain function
•   Organ health and integrity
•   Integrity of nails, hair, skin and vital organs

WfMonkey

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »

My (now ex) wife was prescribed HGH and testosterone for a thyroid condition. It completely changed her character and ended our marriage. Apparently it completely erased her conscience. She went from being the most loving caring person to having an affair and throwing me out of my own house. It happened as I was really starting to get sick with kidney disease and needed her the most; it was devastating. I tried everything to stop her taking it but she became obsessed with it. And it's expensive, I think we were paying $500+ per month out of pocket.

Now I'm gone she can't afford i anymore and seems to be slowly returning to her old self...

I don't recommend it.

2009: Diagnosed with FSGS, GFR=40
April 2011: GFR = 12
Pre-Dialysis. LD in place, testing underway
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »