I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Beta Blockers Anyone??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beta Blockers Anyone??  (Read 2937 times)
vandie

« on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »

Does anyone take beta blockers for tremors?   I have had tremors from Prograf since the time of transplant.   They have gotten to the point where it is difficult to work on my machine in court. 
When I went for my nine-month check up, the surgeon prescribed Atenolol.  I haven't taken them yet.  I am a little concerned about the side effects I have read.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 02:28:39 PM »

I take acebutolol 600mg twice a day in addition to 5 other meds to help with BP.  I don't think I have any side effects from them.  I've been on them for many years now but the original dose was lower and has been increased slowly over time.
Good luck with your research and your decision.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »

I was on betablockers for a while, and found myself perpetually light-headed and unable to concentrate.  It would be a more sensible clinical decision in your case just to switch from the prograf to one of the many alternative immunosuppressive drugs.  They each have their side-effects too, of course, but generally not as bad as my experience with betablockers.  If you are diabetic, betablockers also should never be prescribed, since they can produce hypoglycemia unawareness.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »

vandie, have you decided what your going to do? Len is having some minor shaking in his hands but nothing like what you are describing. I hope it gets straightened out soon. I'll be thinking about you.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
vandie

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »

vandie, have you decided what your going to do? Len is having some minor shaking in his hands but nothing like what you are describing. I hope it gets straightened out soon. I'll be thinking about you.  :cuddle;

xoxo
Thanks for asking.   He has prescribed such a small dose that I have decided, yes, I will start them.  I will keep you posted.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »

I've been thinking about you, Vandie.  Please let us know how the new med effects you.  Hoping for good results :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »

I was on betablockers for a while, and found myself perpetually light-headed and unable to concentrate.  It would be a more sensible clinical decision in your case just to switch from the prograf to one of the many alternative immunosuppressive drugs.  They each have their side-effects too, of course, but generally not as bad as my experience with betablockers.  If you are diabetic, betablockers also should never be prescribed, since they can produce hypoglycemia unawareness.

I am so alarmed for my mom after reading this. I am going to write a letter and fax it to her pcp asap! I was always worried that she never 'felt' bad when her blood sugar was so low. Today it was 28!! and she sounded lethargic and she never sounds like that.

Ok, now I'm really spooked. I just got off the phone (2:15pm) to get mom's bs and it's 419!! Waiting for my sister to call and figure out what to do if anything. Mom had just woke up from a 45 min nap. She ate toast with butter and oj for breakfast.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »