I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Welcome to the Diet & Recipes section. By members request!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the Diet & Recipes section. By members request!  (Read 38576 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:03 AM »

These are all great, Thanks Carson!

But what about the values?  Calories, Protein, Phosphorus, and Potassium?    ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
mymoonring

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »

I have to confess I am a citrus junkie, When I was told I cant have any oranges or juice I was so upset, I went and bought artificial orange pops, That didnt work :banghead; I wanted pulp orange pulp >:(>Then one day I spoke with my dietician explaned my craving for citrus fruit, she then gave me a list of the citruses i can have occasionaly when my phoserus is doing well  I have a clementine or even canned  manderine oranges :2thumbsup;
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »

:2thumbsup; great Lisa (Carson),thanks!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »

My husbands renal dietitian seems to know less then we do about his diet-she has yet to give any pertinent advice and has,in fact given us dangerous advice, I would have to check the nutrion facts on these recipes before feeding them to my "patient". >:D >:D >:D   

Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, canned

Nutrient  Units  1.00 X 1 cup
-------

Water  g 167.26

Phosphorus, P  mg 216
Potassium, K  mg 413
Sodium, Na  mg 718

thats pretty high.......plus raw carrot is also very high in potassium
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:49:09 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
mymoonring

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »

I found a great recipe this week that i had in my fridge and worked like a charm.Here goes one cup of strawberrys(fresh) imatation sugar free bannana pudding ( mixed with one cup of nondairy creamer and one cup of water)Mix well  Pour over in a glass bowl three slces of angel food cake.Slice the strawberrys on top chill for a hour >after, top with cool whip and decorate with flavored sprinkles...And Enjoy :2thumbsup;
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »

Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, canned
Nutrient  Units  1.00 X 1 cup
-------
Water  g 167.26

Phosphorus, P  mg 216
Potassium, K  mg 413
Sodium, Na  mg 718

thats pretty high.......plus raw carrot is also very high in potassium

Recipes will offer us "freedom" only when they include the values (potassium, phosphorus, protein, and calories) that we need to keep track of each day.

Most of us on hemo have a daily limit of:
phosphorus--1,000 mg
potassium--2,000 mg

And a daily need of:
About 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight
About 35 calories per kilogram of body weight

This is according to the National Kidney Foundation (U.S.)

Information=Freedom      8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:07:04 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

carson

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 08:09:01 AM »

well, my phosphorus is moderate and I eat alot of high phosphorus foods (dairy, beans) and my potassium is usually on the low side so I don't worry a whole lot. My biggest concern at this point is sodium and fluid intake.
I am sure these recipes aren't for everyone and you should consider your own needs before trying them, but somebody asked me for some Indian recipes and I obliged.
For those of you who can eat them on occaision, I hope you enjoy them. Besides, after looking at all the crap most of you listed in the "what's for dinner" topic, I don't think you should be so critical!!
 >:D

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »

See, I am different. I do not worry so much about the sodium, but then I dropped an awful lot of it out of the diet and do not use the salt shaker at all on meals.  The potassium seems to take care of itself, but that darn phosphorous goes crazy!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 08:14:30 PM »

well, my phosphorus is moderate and I eat alot of high phosphorus foods (dairy, beans) and my potassium is usually on the low side so I don't worry a whole lot. My biggest concern at this point is sodium and fluid intake.
I am sure these recipes aren't for everyone and you should consider your own needs before trying them, but somebody asked me for some Indian recipes and I obliged.
For those of you who can eat them on occaision, I hope you enjoy them. Besides, after looking at all the crap most of you listed in the "what's for dinner" topic, I don't think you should be so critical!!
 >:D

Alot of the people in that thread have had transplants or are pre-dialysis   ;D ;D >:D

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 09:02:35 PM »

Alot of the people in that thread have had transplants or are pre-dialysis   ;D ;D >:D

Or just don't care on some days.      :-\

I make films.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 01:37:58 AM »

Or just don't care on some days.      :-\

Or are on PD and the diet is a little less restrictive.    ;) But that darn Phosphorous gets us too! ggggrrrrrrrrr

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 05:50:25 AM »

I have very high phosphorous but there are days when you really must eat the foods you enjoy, if only occasionally - and chickpeas are one of the things I love.

All of my favourite foods/drinks are on the restricted list - all legumes, nuts, Coca Cola and beer are supposedly complete no-nos, and I am greatly restricted on my other favourite thing, dairy. I'm also supposed to eat white bread (yuck!) over my much preferred grain or wholemeal bread.

Needless to say, these restrictions put my two favourite cuisines on the extremely restrictive (if not banned) list! Indian and Mexican are my favourites. I am also a vegetarian. So for a while, I was a at a loss to  know what to eat. I hated everything that I was allowed to have. The upshot was, I was basically not eating, and I dropped to 44.5 kg. That's less healthy than having the occasional treat (.e.g a big fat Indian curry), I figure. 

Recently, my phosphorous has come down quite a bit compared to what it was. Obviously the phosphate binders are doing their job.

Thanks again for the recipes Lisa.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 06:20:11 AM »

isn't giving up wheat bread just the hardest thing- I now only buy white or butter bread, just because it takes all of us to eat the loaf before it molds, so i buy what everyone can eat- even my dialyzor, ;D -but  white bread is so --pastey. It does help me cut out more carbs-because they taste nasty!!

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 07:13:05 AM »

I'm the opposite of you two...  :lol; I never have liked whole wheat bread or grain or w/e, I only like white, which is probably why I gain weight from eating it.  :thumbdown;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 07:27:02 AM »

The upshot was, I was basically not eating, and I dropped to 44.5 kg. That's less healthy than having the occasional treat (.e.g a big fat Indian curry), I figure.

Malnutrition is a big problem with dialysis patients.

There's no need to give up any food, when eaten in moderation as part of one's daily limits.  It's about managing your renal diet.

Knowing what the values are (potassium, phosphorus, protein, and calories) and keeping track of them will allow you to eat most of your favorite foods.  You need to know the amount of phosphorus and understand how many binders are necessary to take with that food.

The real problem is when an individual has to eat a portion enough for two people to be satisfied.

Yes, you can even work into your renal diet 500ml of coke, but not a whole 2 liter bottle.

I make films.

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »

I'm a pd patient too, and I was warned off dairy and beans products as well as high phosphorus foods. It does get frustrating
when I can't always eat. I do indulge, but make sure it's an indulgement, not a daily/weekly item. Such as Easter. I'll eat some
ham. I'll plan for that though, with my exchanges, as well as the other foods I eat. I get tired of not being able to eat my
dairy products. Yogurt, ice cream, cheese. Oh man. I love cheese. But I stick to my one piece a day.  Ugh.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 12:16:34 PM »

Ooooh, Easter ham!  Too much salt even when I wasn't haven't blood pressure and fluid retention issues. . . .

My MIL always buys a huge ham at easter, cooks it, and then sends half of it home with me after Easter dinner.  I think she's annoyed at me this year so telling her not to do it this year, because I wouldn't be taking any home.  If it's here, I'll want to eat it, and I don't want it in the house.  She's decided not to cook at all - she and FIL are going out to dinner at a restaurant instead!  Ah well, at least I won't have to negotiate the overloaded table full of homemade goodies I'm not supposed to eat anyhow.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »

Yeah, Jbeany, I agree, ham is sooo salty. that's why ONE small piece and I call it good! Usually if I can just eat one piece
I am okay with it. After being so strict with the preCKD diet, this is almost a piece of cake. I did say almost!  I tend to
drink a lot of water, I just feel better if I do, which will help with the ham, as will my exchange, I'll do a 4.25 solution.
It's hard any more to eat as much at family dinners any way. With all that solution in the area where your tummy would
normally be, I end up eating as much as a four year old sometimes. 
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »

I end up eating as much as a four year old sometimes. 

This is what I went through for 3 years, eating less than my children every meal. So when I started to become hungry 24/7, my doctor said my body wasn't used to eating from not eating for so long.. so now it just wants to eat eat eat.  :lol;

As for ham, I can do without period... don't really like it cause it's so salty... however, I'll have a slice maybe once a year.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
carson

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »

I guess I forgot to mention that I don't eat meat, and so when I posted the recipes with beans I failed to mention that since I"m not getting phosphorus from meat I can sub beans and not push over the hi phos. limits and still get some protein. Sorry for any confusion.

I was, however, at the hospital today doing baxter training (Switching from Fresenius) and the kitchen sent up a "renal" diet for my lunch. Consisted of Mac & Cheese, Tea, Apple Juice, Apple Sauce. I was quite suprised to see this so called "renal diet lunch". Can't wait to see what they'll send me tomorrow. :banghead;

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »

Mac and cheese? must have been a teaspoon full.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 06:58:37 PM »

this past year when my husband was in the hospital they would serve him mashed potatoes, french fries,gravies,tomatoes-even after filling out the meal menu,and talking to the hospital dietician about 4 different times. his neph even told him-just because they give it to you- doesn't mean you can eat it.

I guess I forgot to mention that I don't eat meat, and so when I posted the recipes with beans I failed to mention that since I"m not getting phosphorus from meat I can sub beans and not push over the hi phos. limits and still get some protein. Sorry for any confusion.

i guess I cant compute this-I thought it was potassium was why beans were especially bad........

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »

FREE: Kidney Friendly Cookbook
This cookbook is still available https://www.fosrenol.com/Consumers/ExclusiveOffers/Register.aspx

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »