I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:22:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Social Security and working
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Social Security and working  (Read 2121 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 22, 2008, 04:47:09 PM »

Jenna worked last summer, 2 afternoons a week for about 9 weeks. So now we got the notice that her payments will be docked $80 a month for 5 months (beginning in July.) My husband asked "Where is there any incentive to get off SSI after getting the transplant? If you work you're docked, so you can't get ahead and you can't get any work experience." We knew this would happen, and thankfully she can still live with us. But if she was on her own she would have a tough time with getting by (as I know many of you are struggling with.)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
annabanana

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

I think the system is insane. Every time you turn around it gets more complicated. What to do?

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »

SSI  has some different rules.

Among them is a rule that if on SSI, getting a check or not, one can get free medicaid if its needed to work.

Also there is a program Social Security has called ticket to work, which will pay most if not all costs for schooling.  As long as she is in school they usually continue on with SSI payments.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:44:59 PM »

Medicaid varys from state to state. Here in Kentucky, it is based on household income. If a son or daughter lives with their parent(s), they consider total income for the household.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:50:40 PM »

I managed to get an interview for a really good job, but my social worker told me flat out that I shouldn't work. He said it would jeopardize my benefits. UGH. So I just go to college full time (mostly online classes though) instead. :/ The system is so messed up.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »

I didn't become disabled until I was much older so my disability check is pretty good. I manage to find other ways to supplement my income. Not working isn't all that bad.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »

I get very good long term disability benefits.
It would not be enough if I were single, though.
My doctor says I could work about 12 hours per week in limited settings.
I cannot find a job that pays enough to offset what I would lose in disability benefits should I take a job.
I'm 48 years old and can hardly stand this catch-22 situation. So I volunteer and find hobbies.
Maybe Jenna just needs to consider volunteer work for now, until any paying job she might take makes SSI offsets worthwhile.
As for a resume, volunteer jobs can look very good and will instill the work ethic you are aiming for.
I admire her for attempting something knowing the offsets issue. She is so young, there must be something there for her without
having the catch-22 situation I find myself in.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »

Since her transplant she's no longer considered disabled, and her Medicare ends in 20 months. So not working is not an option. The problem is she's not had much education (and is feeling inadequate in that area after failing classes while on dialysis) so I am not sure what she will choose to do. I will check into the ticket to work program.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:30 PM »

Okarol, no words of wisdom but from one mother to another, I know you are worried and stressed for Jenna's future.   Love you both :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

Since her transplant she's no longer considered disabled, and her Medicare ends in 20 months. So not working is not an option. The problem is she's not had much education (and is feeling inadequate in that area after failing classes while on dialysis) so I am not sure what she will choose to do. I will check into the ticket to work program.

I would try contacting your local Vocational Rehabilitation office and see what they can do to help her find a job. I'm sorry that Jenna had trouble keeping up in school while on dialysis. I know what that feels like. :/ I dropped out of college after my first transplant because I kept getting sick and missing school. I'm back in school now taking online classes, which have so far allowed me to keep up with the work even when I am ill. Perhaps Jenna could take some online courses?  :grouphug;

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »