I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Blotches on the legs...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blotches on the legs...  (Read 13194 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 04:23:25 AM »

ewww... Glad they figured it out and I hope you weren't a carrier to the kids but I'm glad you are OK. Never heard of such a thing before.
Hang in there Angela  :grouphug;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »

Nevermind, I do NOT have Fifth's Disease So back to square 1 and Idunno what's wrong with my leg blotches.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »

Angela, do they have any idea what it is then? Have you changed medications lately? Any different foods? Laundry detergent, fabric softener, soap? Been outside in the grass or weeds? Lord, why is it so hard to figure out?  :banghead; I hope they get it resolved soon.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »

Nope, but I am going to bring it up to my doctor next visit.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 04:04:53 AM »

I don't know Angela thats some weird stuff. I do hope they get to the bottom of this soon.  :grouphug;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »

Mhmm... It sure is. I wish I had a clue, the only one that made sense was that 5th's Disease, but now that's not even a possibility, so someone mentioned circulation problems, I don't know if it could be that but I won't just let it slip by, I will demand they figure it out.  :boxing;

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »

Good Luck Angela. I know this is far out there, but did they do a strep test? My son had a weird thing when he was small. It was strep skin. There were large out breaks of it in the 1930's. It resurfaces every now and then. Most doctors have never seen it.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »

angela Could it be Psoriasis

Psoriasis is a common skin disorder that produces thick red plaques covered with silvery scales. The most common areas affected are the scalp, elbows, knees, and lower back, although any skin surface may be involved. It can also occur in the nails and body folds.

Psoriasis is not contagious and cannot be passed from person to person, but it can occur in members of the same family.

Psoriasis usually begins in early adulthood or later in life. In most people, the rash is limited to a few patches of skin; in severe cases, it can cover large areas of the body. The rash can heal and come back throughout a person's life.

What Are the Symptoms of Psoriasis?
Psoriasis starts as small red bumps, which enlarge and become scaly. The skin appears thick, but bleeds easily if the scales are picked or rubbed off.

In addition, the rash may produce:

Itching
Pitted, cracked, crumbly, or loose nails
How Can I Find Out if I Have Psoriasis?
If you have a rash that is not healing, contact your doctor. He or she can evaluate the rash to determine if it is psoriasis.

What Causes Psoriasis?
The exact cause of psoriasis is unknown, but it is believed that a combination of factors contributes to the development of the disease. An abnormality in the immune system causes inflammation in the skin, triggering new skin cells to develop too quickly. Normally, skin cells are replaced every 28 to 30 days. With psoriasis, new cells grow and move to the surface of the skin every three to four days. The buildup of old cells being replaced by new cells creates the silver scales of psoriasis.

What Causes Psoriasis Outbreaks?
No one knows what causes psoriasis outbreaks. The severity and frequency of outbreaks vary with each person. Outbreaks may be triggered by:

Skin injury (for example, cuts, scrapes or surgery)
Emotional stress
Strep infections

You can read more at

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/skin-conditions-psoriasis

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am pretty sure it's not Psoriasis, as it says it starts as small red bumps and then becomes scaly.. and itching and so on. Mine is not like that. It's like basically a rash, or blotches... but you cannot feel them, they don't raise the skin or anything like that. It's almost as if someone colored them in under my skin. Or like when your leg gets swollen from too much fluid, and you push to see how long it takes to come back.. except it's as if they just left the colors but i'm not swollen... It's hard to explain.

As for strep skin, from what I looked up and the pics I have seen, I don't think it could be that... but, I will not rule out anything without being tested! So, all things I will bring up with the doctor. :)

lruffner

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »

Mhmm... It sure is. I wish I had a clue, the only one that made sense was that 5th's Disease, but now that's not even a possibility, so someone mentioned circulation problems, I don't know if it could be that but I won't just let it slip by, I will demand they figure it out.  :boxing;

Angela,

I had the same exact thing on my feet and ankles, right after I had my kidney biopsy, and I found that it was due to peripheral vascular disease (small vessels). Being that mine was on the foot and ankle, it is assumed my biggest problem is below the knee. Since yours is up so high, I would get a move on to the doctor. I was diagnosed by a vascular surgeon and he said that if mine goes higher up my leg, to call him ASAP....it could be blood insuficiency from the abdominal aorta, since mine is already calcified from the CKD...meaning the begining of an aneurysm. They can easily tell by doing an ultrasound and probably just listening to the AA and femoral artery would tell them a little.

Keep us posted! I hope you don't have the same problem as I do, and that you don't think I am a complete fruitcake!

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:19 PM »

Oh wow... thank you for that information lruffner... I wil definately bring that dx up to the doctor, we have not even discussed it in months, and the last time he looked at it, he just said hmm.. ok. I will be very demanding my next appt.

I shall let you know what he says.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »