I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Dieticians at your center do they........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dieticians at your center do they........  (Read 30696 times)
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »

Oh, I don't know how I missed this thread before! Not that I have anything to add but that I <treading the ground like a bull> HATE those damned stickers and little comments. Especially when I haven't done a damned thing differently and I get all the congrats.

I really want to say something to the dietician about this, but she's nice and I know it would totally hurt her feelings...but really, she should be a professional about it. Well, I guess I could just tell her that I want to save a few trees, and since I always ask for the original lab print out, she can save a sheet and not print out the rainbow-covered one for a change, hehehe.

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 07:40:02 PM »

I just want my bloodwork report not the damn smiley face I got last month.  Especially when the only reason the labs are good are because of the parathyroid surgery I had In October! Sheez!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »

I just want my bloodwork report not the damn smiley face I got last month.  Especially when the only reason the labs are good are because of the parathyroid surgery I had In October! Sheez!

Here is some stickers for you good labs.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

;D :beer1;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »

Why thank you for those stickers.  I will add them to my scar collection!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 05:33:19 AM »

This is Krista my dietitian, young, vibrant, smart, and caring, sorta cute too. to much light on this picture, but she is a cuttie.

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 06:15:29 AM »

She is a cutie. 
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »

somehow i missed this one.

i called our dietitian to task, for taking a week and a half to get lab results back. since they are so important she should make a better effort to get them to us in a timely manner. i fully realize i'm not the only one she has to do this for, but come on, she's not recording these by hand, it doesn't take much to print them, it's a computer for pete's sake. and i'm not stupid, i don't need the fancy, designed for 5 year olds report. just give me what you give the doctor, i know what it means and if i don't i'll ask. those results are in the wednesday after blood draws. i now ask the nurse for them. last month the dietitian just handed me her report as she walked by and said "i'm sure you already have these".

another thing i have trouble dealing with is the always and never statements. ie, "if you eat any cheese your phosphorus will never go down"  come on moderation folks. nothing is absolute. how about "your loosing weight, you're not eating enough protine" although that one didn't come from the dietitian.

monday she came by with a handy dandy little handout on "al bumin" PLUEESE!!!!!!! i'm not 5. it was all about how i should increase my protine intake by adding protine powder. wonderful she should do a little research and give it to those who have low albumin levels. mine is smack in the middle of the range. doc is happy, he's the only one besides me who needs to be. i looked through it because she said there were some good recipes in it....not. oh well i guess she's trying.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »

I like the stickers and I like the reports, sorry to say that currently i don't get stickers, just a personal visit from Krista (dietitian), she comes and sits next to me and goes over my lab reports, ask me if i'm having any diet problems i want to talk about, etc..
I also have her email addy in case i need to leave her a note from home.

Where would I be without my dialysis center and the staff?
I LOVE YOU EVERYONE!

EDITED: Removed picture - Sluff/ Admin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:17:49 AM by Sluff » Logged

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
Russ

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 06:01:47 PM »

Here are some stickers for bad lab reports.
 >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D>:D
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 09:42:35 PM »

Here are some stickers for bad lab reports.
 >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D>:D

:rant;  <-- Dietician with lab results

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 03:42:29 AM »

Today we ALL got to watch a cartoon on high phosphorus and calcium.  We also got a snack (popcorn and graham crackers) then it was nap time.

I just love the stimulating intellectual atomsphere.    >:D

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 09:17:52 AM »

Today we ALL got to watch a cartoon on high phosphorus and calcium.  We also got a snack (popcorn and graham crackers) then it was nap time.

With an attitude like that you are going to get a "time out". :rofl;

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »

My time out is T,Th,S from 9 to noon! 
                                                          ;D

Russ

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 07:27:05 AM »

Then the bell rang and it was time for recess.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »

at my unit it is like when I taught adaptive behavior

we get paper dollars for good lab reports
I have no paper dollars and no shame (we buy back Davita crap)
I have almost gotten dollars but to tell you the truth, I am not encouraged by this
give me real money to apply for medications or more than one 6 ounce glass of ice or let me stand up during the treatment to give my numb butt a break, like a five minute stand up break

social worker said she thought I'd really enjoy the paper money, being a teacher and all
oh pleeeeeeeeese.....
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

Our "Report Cards" only give the basic stuff (albumin, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and PTH) with the bad numbers highlited. I finally demanded a full report each month.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »

I use to hate getting those monthly pieces of paper with either a smiley face or a frown on them. Give me a break.  :banghead;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »

We got a new dietician the month before my transplant, and that kidney could not have come soon enough! She's nice enough, but the one time she called to go over my labs was about three weeks after they had been drawn; then instead of telling me numbers, she would say things like, "Your albumin is good; your phosphorous is a little high; etc". I finally stopped her, because she was going through so fast, and told her that I know what the numbers mean, please tell me what THE NUMBERS ARE! I've changed doctors for less than that.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »

Kim's encounter with her dietation...

Once, the first day I went to my new centre, she walks through doing 10km/per hour so that no one will talk to her.  :Kit n Stik;

http://www.kimhoben.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2008, 10:20:17 AM »

We have a new dietitian/nutritionist.  She is doing a really good job (here about 4 months). We actually see her every time we get lab results and she goes over stuff with us and hands out useful info.  For the first time we are getting reports on a small folded card called 'hemodialysis nutrition report'  Thankfully, no stickers!  What I like is that a whole year is recorded, so you can see from January.  The only thing is, I wish cholesterol was recorded.  Only  Urr, Kt/V, sodium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Calcium, Albumin and Hemoglobin.  On the back of the card, our medications are recorded.  We keep the card, and are to bring it in to be updated each time.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »

I got a sticker last month.  I asked her if she thought I was five.

lifenotonthelist.com

spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »

Wow, I'm glad I don't get report cards and stickers. How annoying. There was a chart on the wall of the lobby once that showed a frog jumping towards low-phosphorus foods and it called it "frogphorus." Now my boyfriend and I always call it frogphorus.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 03:37:13 AM »

I use to hate getting those monthly pieces of paper with either a smiley face or a frown on them. Give me a break.  :banghead;

Like it or not its those monthly pieces of paper that can and will save your life.

Too many people do not see the correlation of labs out of wack with potential problems until its too late.

It builds up slowly over time and little warning is given until its too late.

Calcium buildups that require surgery thus exposing one to unnecessary complications, calcifying of small blood vessels leading to blindness, loss of circulation or calcifying of vessels leading to heart problems.  Heart problems is one of the biggest complications of those on dialysis.
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »

Like it or not its those monthly pieces of paper that can and will save your life.

Too many people do not see the correlation of labs out of wack with potential problems until its too late.

It builds up slowly over time and little warning is given until its too late.

Calcium buildups that require surgery thus exposing one to unnecessary complications, calcifying of small blood vessels leading to blindness, loss of circulation or calcifying of vessels leading to heart problems.  Heart problems is one of the biggest complications of those on dialysis.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but I think that what writers such as willieandwinnie and several others are expressing is the opinion that they are quite aware of the importance of lab values.  However, their concern lies with dieticians who treat them as if they were noncompliant children who are incapable of understanding such matters that play such an important role in their own health.

I think it would be much better for all concerned if the dieticians treated each patient as an individual.  Some patients are very involved in their healthcare and are rightfully resentful at being treated in an infantile manner.  Treating them as though they were five years old is not the right way to build a good working relationship.

In the end, I am guessing that most adults do not need to be treated as they their reading level were on a first grade level and be subjected to condescending smiley faces at every turn.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
UNIBALLER
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »

Sarahs  dietician dresses like a floozy and acts carries on like she is some high school airhead.  I would like to know how the hospital thinks she  is effective in her duties when nobody in the unit takes her seriously.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
  Edmund Burke

Proud to be Canadian
  Me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »