I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:58:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can you drive home after Hemo?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you drive home after Hemo?  (Read 11283 times)
keefer51

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »

True Story. When i finally succumbed to the fact i had to go back on dialysis my first day there was anything but pleasent. Now i waited till my creatine was 10.3. I remember waking up and finding i couldn't walk. I had some kind of what i would call gout. My right wrist was locked in sever pain. So was my left hip and ankle. I was in so much pain i didn't know what to do. How i made it driving to dialysis i will never know. Once there i was hooked up and after my four hours still felt the same way. A nurse was in charge of me that day. She kept saying after i was done come on lets go someone else is waiting for the chair. She actually packed my things in haste and walked me out to the waiting room. I was in shock but thought i had better try and drive home. I went out to my truck and just cried from the pain. I called my brother and asked if he could help. He was busy. So i used my right leg for the clutch and gas. I made it home and sat in my truck till i felt i could walk again. As the days passed i started to feel better. The lack of compassion and care i am used to from doctors and nurses. This nurse however after talking with about a year later said to me "Yea, i remember your first day we were told you needed dialysis but weren't insured." She also said with a laugh "I thought you were faking it." Not surprising.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »

True Story. When i finally succumbed to the fact i had to go back on dialysis my first day there was anything but pleasent. Now i waited till my creatine was 10.3. I remember waking up and finding i couldn't walk. I had some kind of what i would call gout. My right wrist was locked in sever pain. So was my left hip and ankle. I was in so much pain i didn't know what to do. How i made it driving to dialysis i will never know. Once there i was hooked up and after my four hours still felt the same way. A nurse was in charge of me that day. She kept saying after i was done come on lets go someone else is waiting for the chair. She actually packed my things in haste and walked me out to the waiting room. I was in shock but thought i had better try and drive home. I went out to my truck and just cried from the pain. I called my brother and asked if he could help. He was busy. So i used my right leg for the clutch and gas. I made it home and sat in my truck till i felt i could walk again. As the days passed i started to feel better. The lack of compassion and care i am used to from doctors and nurses. This nurse however after talking with about a year later said to me "Yea, i remember your first day we were told you needed dialysis but weren't insured." She also said with a laugh "I thought you were faking it." Not surprising.

Stupid bit**!!!  :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
IrishGirl

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »

She sounds like a real gem. How do these people sleep at night? She laughed? Yes, thats just hilarious to me that someone suffering like that would be treated in that manner. One would hope for some sympathy from the medical staff. Again, there are good ones and bad ones. I have seen both. Your experience sounds like a true and pitiful horror. I can't even imagine being in that much pain and having to go through with the drive and the rest of it. Its amazing. I guess when it boils down to it you find out just how strong you really are. And how pitiful others are. Insurance should not even be an issue as to how you treat a patient. What a horrible, excruciating and awful story. I apologize for the attitude of the nurse and for their treatment of you. I am embarassed to say I am a nurse.
BigSteve

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 02:16:52 PM »

In the four month I have been on dialysis I have driven myself. One of the reasons
I choose this unit is that it is only 5 miles from my house. There is not much traffic
going home at 9::00 p.m.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »

So, you can drive while on dialysis?
WOW.... Very ignorant question.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

Considering that 90% of the people in my dialysis center don't drive, I wouldn't consider it an ignorant question.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
mark m

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »

I always drove my self to the clinic and back home. It ever really seemed like a big deal, I have survived by just trying to stay "normal", whatever that means? You will know if you can drive or not just go with how you feel.

Life is good.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 07:32:13 AM »

When I first started, a cousin used to use my vehicle a lot, so I was able to let him take me and bring me back home.  I used to feel totally drained and capable of nothing.
Now, I drive myself to and fro.  In fact now I leave from dialysis to go straight to work at the Tourist Board Information Centre at our airport.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
ndl0520

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »

When I first started hemodialysis, I had people driving me for the first week.  After that, I started driving myself to the unit.  Usually my dialysis unit will not let me go if there was something wrong with me. Sometimes I would just sit in my chair for about ten minutes before I leave to drive home.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »

Here in Kentucky they won't let you drive home if you are still too drunk after dialysis.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »

Just what are you drinking at dialysis? Good ole Kentucky bourbon! No wonder they don't let you drive home!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »

Believe it or not, we actually have a couple of guys who come in about half drunk on a regular basis. I guess the dialysis sobers them up.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »

Believe it or not, we actually have a couple of guys who come in about half drunk on a regular basis. I guess the dialysis sobers them up.

I've heard that it also prevents a hangover...oh wait, that was connecting to the PD cycler after drinking, and I didn't hear it, I learned it!  :rofl;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

Actually I have been in a few times with a hangover. Trust me, it is a good cure. Wish I had discovered dialysis sooner. :beer1; :bandance; :sarcasm;

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »