I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:15:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Going on Vacation - More Advice!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going on Vacation - More Advice!  (Read 4707 times)
mmmmdeedee

« on: July 09, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »

Hi all:

Going on vacation to Leavenworth, Washington soon. We are renting a house in town. Not staying at a hotel so there is no one there to sign for supplies. Do you kow if they will just deliver into the garage or ?

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am only going for a long weekend (five days) so it's not a huge amount of supplies. Depending on how much of a pain in the arse this is, I might or might not go. I am on the Baxter Cycler so there are a bit of supplies that goes along with it. Heavy Supplies!

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
jdat

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:04:27 AM »

How are you getting there? Driving?

If worse comes to worse bring the supplies with you. Five days isn't that much.
But that all depends on the car you're using, luggage etc you know the deal.

Perhaps you can make arrangements for delivery time.
Delivery when you are not around might be possible as well but you'll have to check with the carrier.
In many instances if you are using fedex and the likes for signature required delivery, they are obligated to make a first attempt and leave a form for you to sign to authorize delivery without you being there to check it and then they can come back at a later time and deliver when you aren't there.

I live in France and when I went to the US for a couple weeks they delivered by fedex ( or one of these big companies ) and they are known for being flexible with delivery for regular packages, don't think it should be any different here.
I didn't have to actually test the flexibility for changing the delivery time as my sister was there at the time of delivery ( I was staying at her place ).

mmmmdeedee

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:42:09 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I am flying. So I am lugging the machine, supplies and my behind around. Still working out the details to see if it'll be a pain.

Should whitewater rapids be a problem for someone on CCPD Dialysis?

CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
jdat

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:06:24 PM »

If you're paranoid get a plastic dressing ( tegaderm and the likes ) to go over the catheter just like you would if you were going swimming!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:31:15 PM »

:o WHITE WATER RAFTING? :o  YOU GO GIRL,  They also have colostomy bags you can use to put over your catheter.  Hope everything works out for you.  Have Fun...

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

Oh wow. I did not realize they had stuff to go over the site for swimming, etc. That sounds great. Is that something I get from the dialysis center? Or medical supply store?

CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 09:43:22 PM »

You may ask if they have them in the clinic but your best bet is going to a med store and getting them,  i dont know about your clinic but mine seemed like they didnt even want to give you a tissue, lol

www.kidneyoogle.com
Ginger

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 08:30:53 AM »

DeeDee,
You can call ostomy companies for sample bags. Explain what you want them for and they will usually send you a couple of sample bags to try for free. I did that and they do work. They may give you static about not being liable for infections if the bags leak though since that is not what the bags are for.  You can also use large sheets of tegaderm to cover the site and tube. Both methods work but are a bit expensive. I know that for me the cost is worth it to feel somewhat 'normal' and get the exercise that I really enjoy.
Have fun on your vacation.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »

Hi there again,  When i asked if i can go swimming, all they told me was to make sure it was a private pool (no lakes, rivers, canals etc...) and to make sure as soon as i got out to clean the area with the antibacterial soap and put the ointment on it and dress it right away.  They said i will be fine.   I just havent gone over my sisters yet to go swimming, :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:28:18 PM »

Hi there again,  When i asked if i can go swimming, all they told me was to make sure it was a private pool (no lakes, rivers, canals etc...) and to make sure as soon as i got out to clean the area with the antibacterial soap and put the ointment on it and dress it right away.  They said i will be fine.   I just havent gone over my sisters yet to go swimming, :P

lucky! Can go swimming ... I am jelous :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »