I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Internet Links
| | |-+  What's with this website?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's with this website?  (Read 9334 times)
Psim

« on: April 10, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

A friend of mine sent me this URL  www.reindeermotel.com/SEVENLUCKYSTARS/sevenlucky_ourstory.html saying it had info on new options for non-matching transplants. The first thing I saw on there was "... the average life span on dialysis is 2 to 5 years." If this is this true, I've been really misinformed (please let me know!).  It makes me wonder about other info on the site.

EDITED: Fixed Link URL - Sluff/Admin
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:23:27 PM by Sluff » Logged
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:13:53 PM »

I've seen similar numbers somewhere and it may be true. But they don't factor in such things as other medical problems and age. Most die of something other than kidney disease.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »

a man in my unit celebrated his 26th year on dialysis, shortly after that he died
he was maybe in his 50's --- hard to tell
he was carried in on a bed
he was unable to walk and was fragile
he always ate Popeye's Fried Chicken or he would order Pizza Hut
he was Cajun and he was still living at home
he was always on his cell phone
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:10:39 PM »

It was probably the chicken. If it had been KFC, he would probably still be with you. Sounds like he wasn't following his diet very well.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:18:34 PM »

Included in the number of patient's life expectancy are people who are 80 to 90 years old who live only weeks or months on dialysis. If you removed them I think the numbers would look better.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MiSSis

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

That statement made me wonder if they were referring to the average length of time a dialysis patient waits for a cadaver transplant, not knowing about the possibility of non-matching transplants.  Figures like they've stated can always be manipulated to give a specific outcome when someone is trying to make a point.  It sounds so much more threatening when they state it the way they have.  I guess I'm only a "youngster" with only 4 1/2 years of dialysis under my belt but I know we have others here who have been on dialysis much longer and many of them by choice.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »

I hate it when I see life expectency numbers. Who the heck comes up with those. I am 20 months on dialysis so I have 4 more months to live? You know you could go nuts if you took that as gospal. I am going to be signing on at the UW Wisconsin Hospital which is part of this group so any advancement in matching people is cool with me. If I live that long  :)...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »

Nine years, folks.  Stick your numbers where the sun don't shine statistics makers.  :Kit n Stik; :sir ken; :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »

At one of the units where I did hemo, there was a man who had recently been in the local paper for "celebrating" his 25th year doing dialysis. He walked in by himself, and while obviously not the healthiest person I've ever met, he looked great compared to most of the other patients in the room! It's all about taking care of yourself, watching your diet, and not taking these numbers as gospel...as others have said, the numbers include people who start dialysis at 90 years old and have other things wrong with them, as well as ESRD.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »

Epoman made 12, Goofynina 3. There is a lot of things that go into these numbers. Other health issues make a huge difference and the age of the deceased is one of them.   

Kitkatz I hope you make 9 more and then some.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 05:44:47 AM »

My brother was in very poor health when he started dialysis at 51 - he had already gone blind because of diabetes.   He saw a doctor in the US, started dialysis there, then came home to Barbados.  At that time, they only used to dialyse him twice a week, and the doctor from the US had said he needed to be dialysed 3 times a week or he would not last 3 years.  Well he was on that 2 days for quite a while until they shifted him to 3 days.  And with all those problems, my  brother lived until 61.
Big stick those statistics, Kitkatz!!!!  :Kit n Stik;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »

Well Five years of hemo in the 70s Had transplant in the 80s back on dialysis May 1988 Just had my 20th year back on dialysis. Still Here, plus have no plans to leave just yet. My diary is to FULL  :yahoo;

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
LightLizard

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »

one of my oldest friends, back east, who i went to public school with (!) has had two thirds of his lungs removed. he has been told by his doctors that he has a year left to live. i think doctors who give out this kind of information should have their license revoked. 'first, do no harm...' sure. do no harm to your bank account. some doctors really suck.
 :sir ken;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »

I know what you mean LL, Dad is in hospital just now and last week (after he'd had a couple of minor heart attacks) the cardiologist stood by his bed and said "there's an 80% chance the next attack will be a major one and you will die" - isn't hearing that enough to cause an attack!!
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »

OMG...where do they find these Drs????  George's Cardiologist in SC was such a gentle man...everytime he did a procedure he would take me into the nurses station show me exactly what he did...he comforted me when I creid...he was awesome and once he had done all he could he again met with me in a small room, told me very gently everything that was going on.  I asked him approxomately how long and he told me what he thought and he and I decided we did not want George to know and when we moved to TN that Cardiologist called periodically to check on George and the info the Dr had given me was on the mark..about 2 days off.  My eye surgeon in ND was like this as well.  I guess they don't make many of this type of Dr.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »

Is this cardiologist name Dr. Dizon? If you ever get Dr. Dizon he is the nicest doctor i ever had. He went to SC from Mi.

Lisa

OMG...where do they find these Drs????  George's Cardiologist in SC was such a gentle man...everytime he did a procedure he would take me into the nurses station show me exactly what he did...he comforted me when I creid...he was awesome and once he had done all he could he again met with me in a small room, told me very gently everything that was going on.  I asked him approxomately how long and he told me what he thought and he and I decided we did not want George to know and when we moved to TN that Cardiologist called periodically to check on George and the info the Dr had given me was on the mark..about 2 days off.  My eye surgeon in ND was like this as well.  I guess they don't make many of this type of Dr.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
cesposito2

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:01:54 AM »

A friend of mine sent me this URL  www.reindeermotel.com/SEVENLUCKYSTARS/sevenlucky_ourstory.html saying it had info on new options for non-matching transplants. The first thing I saw on there was "... the average life span on dialysis is 2 to 5 years." If this is this true, I've been really misinformed (please let me know!).  It makes me wonder about other info on the site.

EDITED: Fixed Link URL - Sluff/Admin

I have been on dialysis almost 20 years (between 4 kidney transplants), but my longest consecutive number of years on dialysis, so far, is almost 8 years.

I have always felt that staying informed about your disease is key to making the treatment work. I like to say: “The only person with you (the patient) all the time, is you (the patient), so the more involved you are in your care, the better the outcome!”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »