I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula arm swollen and warm
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula arm swollen and warm  (Read 21515 times)
Panda_9

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 03:25:26 AM »

Im not at all saying everyone doesnt know about it. I'm pretty much talking about the people I have talked to who really dont have a clue what to eat and what not to eat. For me, cocopops isnt indulging, as I can eat whatever I want as I am not on conventional dialysis (I am tommorow though!). If you want something a little bit naughty I would say the best time to eat it would be while you are on the machine, preferably within the first few hours. But still, I wouldnt go overboard. Tommorow I am going in-centre for the day and Im taking some avocado to eat while Im on the machine. I am having pre and post bloods so that will be interesting.
6oz of juice I would say is fine, as its only a small amount. We get 150ml juice cups in hospital on the renal diet, so if you are having it in moderation then its ok.
When you are on PD, you can be more free with your diet. Its harder on hemo. But as we have all said, everyone is different, so different people might be more sensitive to some foods than others. I for one had to be extremely careful while I was on conventional dialysis, as it didnt take much to put my potassium up. It was at the point where there wasnt much I could eat.
I dont see anything wrong with donuts that would make them a renal no no, unless you are trying to lose weight.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:27:29 AM by aMbEr_79 » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 03:45:42 AM »

I dont see anything wrong with donuts that would make them a renal no no, unless you are trying to lose weight.

I think because the nurse was on a diet (I am guessing) she looked at me and felt I should be too .. who knows ... like my dietician said .. I have the best lab results ... mine were just done last week (always the first wed on the month for me).

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 04:52:03 PM »

Cake Donuts are high in phosphorus.  This tread is making me hungry!   :'(

Panda_9

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 04:09:39 AM »

Oh I didnt realise, what makes them high in phosphate? Milk?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 09:16:12 PM »

Oh I didnt realise, what makes them high in phosphate? Milk?
yes, and eggs (yolks) but my results are always good and I DO take my binders even while on dialysis.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 03:09:56 AM »

Oh I see. I didnt think there was that much milk in a donut. I think just having one donut wouldnt break the phosphate bank. Didnt know eggs were either!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »