I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Drew Carey Speaks--Kidneys for Sale
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drew Carey Speaks--Kidneys for Sale  (Read 3833 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: April 08, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »

Some thoughts from Drew Carey of "The Price is Right."

http://reason.tv/video/show/333.html

What are your thoughts?
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »

RIGHT ON!  This is what I've been saying for years.  Donors are the only ones not paid for their service.  If it is such a benevolent act than let the Surgeons do it for free.  Let the hospitals do it for free!  Come on.  The poor would be treated no differently in the United States.  If you are in the kidney program then there would be follow-up with the donor just as there is now.  And the list would be shorter once the rich people get their kidneys.

If the government paid the donor Medicare would save millions. 

Here is the kicker...... DaVita would go out of business and so would some drug companies.  Sick dialysis patients keep them in business.   >:D

:twocents;

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

I vote....YES!    :2thumbsup;

That would be so cool if at the end of The Price is Right Drew would say "Remember to donate those kidneys/organs!" instead of what Bob said about spay and neutering your pets!     :clap;   :rofl;   :clap;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:28:10 AM »

I vote....YES!    :2thumbsup;

That would be so cool if at the end of The Price is Right Drew would say "Remember to donate those kidneys/organs!" instead of what Bob said about spay and neutering your pets!     :clap;   :rofl;   :clap;

What a great idea, kelly! I love it!!  :2thumbsup;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »

I want a kidney so bad I can taste it (not really just a saying) but in my heart of hearts I can't imagine...me... buying a kidney.  What a thought provoking video

http://www.kimhoben.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »

I have heard Sally Satel's arguments in favor of selling kidneys before, and I would love to think that it's a viable option - but I can imagine a few pitfalls. I also have spoken to Virginia Postrel on the phone, she wrote an article about online forums for Forbes magazine and I was interviewed for it. They are both reasonable, credible women. The doctor from UCLA gives the same arguments I have heard over and over - the rich get kidneys and the poor give up organs. But that can be resolved through transplants being arranged through the hospital, the donor and recipient do not meet, and Medicare or something similar pays the donor directly.

I think if potential donors were registered in their local area, evaluated thoroughly, then donate anonymously, and are paid a flat rate, then it just might work.

The problem is that much of a person's health history comes from them directly. If they haven't been to a doctor for a long time, all you have is their words, and as Dr. House always says on TV, "People lie." If you need money and want to sell your kidney, wouldn't you portray your health in the best possible way? In order to be accepted as a suitable donor, you wouldn't be honest about promiscuity, or past drug use, or traveling outside the country, or recent illnesses, or high-risk sexual activity, or alcoholism, or a family history of diabetes or hypertension. These are just a few examples of the kinds of things that a transplant center would not be able to ascertain without information from the potential donor. Many things just do not show up in lab tests.

There's other issues that could come up, but to figure these out you need to be able to think like a criminal or a conman. How could someone corrupt the system? For example, if you're a pimp, and you aren't bringing in enough business, so you tell your girls that they've gotta go get signed up as donors, and the money goes back to the bad guy; again, there's no incentive for the donors to be honest about their health habits, and something could come up later, for them, or the recipient. Takes selling your body to a whole new level.  And what if you're a drug dealer, and you pressure the addicts who owe you money to go donate a kidney to pay the debt. Then later on the addict needs money again, what does he sell? I am sure there are scenarios we haven't even imagined.

What if the donor experiences health problems as a result of the surgery? Do they get health insurance coverage for a year? Two years? Who follows up to be sure they are okay?

Well those are a few thoughts. Thanks for the video Zach, it definitely makes you think.

Oh by the way... I don't understand why the video brings up the guy who stole deceased body parts and sold them - what's that got to do with living donation?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
AlasdairUK

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

I have heard Sally Satel's arguments in favor of selling kidneys before, and I would love to think that it's a viable option - but I can imagine a few pitfalls. I also have spoken to Virginia Postrel on the phone, she wrote an article about online forums for Forbes magazine and I was interviewed for it. They are both reasonable, credible women. The doctor from UCLA gives the same arguments I have heard over and over - the rich get kidneys and the poor give up organs. But that can be resolved through transplants being arranged through the hospital, the donor and recipient do not meet, and Medicare or something similar pays the donor directly.

I think if potential donors were registered in their local area, evaluated thoroughly, then donate anonymously, and are paid a flat rate, then it just might work.

The problem is that much of a person's health history comes from them directly. If they haven't been to a doctor for a long time, all you have is their words, and as Dr. House always says on TV, "People lie." If you need money and want to sell your kidney, wouldn't you portray your health in the best possible way? In order to be accepted as a suitable donor, you wouldn't be honest about promiscuity, or past drug use, or traveling outside the country, or recent illnesses, or high-risk sexual activity, or alcoholism, or a family history of diabetes or hypertension. These are just a few examples of the kinds of things that a transplant center would not be able to ascertain without information from the potential donor. Many things just do not show up in lab tests.

There's other issues that could come up, but to figure these out you need to be able to think like a criminal or a conman. How could someone corrupt the system? For example, if you're a pimp, and you aren't bringing in enough business, so you tell your girls that they've gotta go get signed up as donors, and the money goes back to the bad guy; again, there's no incentive for the donors to be honest about their health habits, and something could come up later, for them, or the recipient. Takes selling your body to a whole new level. And what if you're a drug dealer, and you pressure the addicts who owe you money to go donate a kidney to pay the debt. Then later on the addict needs money again, what does he sell? I am sure there are scenarios we haven't even imagined.

What if the donor experiences health problems as a result of the surgery? Do they get health insurance coverage for a year? Two years? Who follows up to be sure they are okay?

Well those are a few thoughts. Thanks for the video Zach, it definitely makes you think.

Oh by the way... I don't understand why the video brings up the guy who stole deceased body parts and sold them - what's that got to do with living donation?

I'm not against the concept of paying organ donors and in the UK if the government paid live donors out of a central fund and then gave the allocated kidneys along the lines as the transplant list according to tissue typing with anonymity. The funds would be able to come from the savings of having to have patients on dialysis. While this sounds OK in theory I'm sure that the system would be abused by certain individuals, the poor and desperate would come off worse.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »