I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:21:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Dream Dinners
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dream Dinners  (Read 9489 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: February 02, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »

This may have been posted somewhere before but check out Dream Dinners.  You pick several items on their menu and you go there and they have it all out for you and you bag it into single portions and go home and put it in the freezer.  I'm going to try it, so I'll let you know how it goes.

www.dreamdinners.com

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:34:40 PM »

My wife heard about Dream Dinners from a coworker and decided to try it.  She loves it!  It is great for people who are busy commuting and don't really have the time to prepare a full on dinner each night.  It also makes a fun mom/daughter activity where they can go to the local location and build the meals together.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:36 PM »

My son worked for a place like that for awhile only it was called Dinner Helpers. they had great food and all but I'm not sure how renal friendly it was.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:36:37 PM »

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember Pink Dot?
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »

My son worked for a place like that for awhile only it was called Dinner Helpers. they had great food and all but I'm not sure how renal friendly it was.

They say they have dinners for diabetic and salt restricted, so I hope they can try and have something I can eat.  I mean we have to have protine and that is all this is.  The main entree.  No side dishes or deserts.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 05:46:46 PM »

I had my "Dream Dinners" appointment this morning.  It was confusing for me at first but I got the hang of it.  One of my dinners was Hawaiian Chicken.  So I put together the recipe of (I may not remember it all) black pepper, sugar, paprika, lemon juice, vinegar, pinapple, and some chopped green onion and some chopped red pepper. Also some ingredients that you would not normally have like lemon zest and orange marmalade?  I left out the salt and black beans.

Then you put that in a zip lock bag and then you have your forzen 3 chicken breasts in another freezer bag.  I have 6 meals in all (3 servings each) and they are in the freezer.  The Hawaiian chicken came with a bag of Jasmin Rice.

All the directions were there so I made the Hawaiian Chicken with Jasmin Rice.  I had some green salad and a roll already prepared.

It was a great way for a nutritious meal that you could cater to your needs.  (no salt etc.)

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »

Rerun,  i went and looked at the website and it IS very confusing.  How are the prices?  Do you have to get the amount they sell by or can you get single servings? (my hubby would never eat this kind of food)   :P

p.s.  How did it taste?  ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:54:52 PM by goofynina » Logged

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »

Rerun,  i went and looked at the website and it IS very confusing.  How are the prices?  Do you have to get the amount they sell by or can you get single servings? (my hubby would never eat this kind of food)   :P

I don't know about Dream Dinners but the place around here called Dinner Helpers has a minimum purchase amount of $100.00 but you can freeze it and you get a lot to eat.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »

How do you find them?  And how did it taste? Do I have to be a brilliant chef to make the dinners?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kelliOR

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »

I found Dream Dinners to be great when I was on dialysis.  When I was too tired, I would order on-line and friends would go and "prepare" the meals and deliver them to me. It made them feel like they were doing something.  Everything is easy to prepare, but I always forgot to thaw out in time, and some of them have to be marinated overnight. I always made them in one big meal, since my family is 7 people.  Most people divide them into 6,4,or 2 servings.   Some of the dishes sound very exotic, but even my picky eaters found them yummy!  I also like the portion sizes,  not too big-not too small.   

Kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »

There was an introductory offer of $50.  I got 6 dinners of 3 serving size.  So that is 18 dinners, plus some because I can't eat all the serving size.  So, that is $2.77 a serving and normally it runs $3.33 a serving.

I waste so much food normally that this is a good deal for me.

It tastes so good.  Because you put stuff in there that you would not normally like "lemon zest"  Who the hell has fresh lemons around?

How about "Dill weed"?

I'm going to do this so I eat right.  I slept last night without getting up wanting something to eat like a bowl of cereal.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »

I have fresh lemons, and dill weed... and much more Im a big food network fan and love cooking stuff from there :D

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 08:12:13 PM »

I have fresh lemons, and dill weed... and much more Im a big food network fan and love cooking stuff from there :D

That is great.  I feel like I'm just learning to cook after having a 20 year career where all I did was work.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »

Oh yah, I feel the same. I only recently started cooking when my dad kept watching food network and I had no control of the tv so I had to watch it too...  :lol;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Jill D.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »

Around here we have a similar place called Main Dish. My daughter and I went there before I left for Mayo for my transplant so my kids would have some healthy things to eat. They had a lot of Mexican and stir fry options, so the meals were a hit for my 16 and 20 year olds.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »

Depite my cheap sister's opinion of too expensive, I think I may give it a try.  Victor and I need some meals that are good for us especially since we are both maybe looking at surgery in the near future.  It would be nice to just take it out of the freezer and cook it up.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:45:06 PM »

Depite my cheap sister's opinion of too expensive, I think I may give it a try.  Victor and I need some meals that are good for us especially since we are both maybe looking at surgery in the near future.  It would be nice to just take it out of the freezer and cook it up.

Ask to see if they have an "Introductory Offer."

Panda_9

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 03:05:43 AM »

There is one here called lite and easy and a few others. I looked into pricing and the cheapest was $70 per person per week. They can have it!
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »

when I first read the title for this thread I thought it was about the dream dinner you would eat if you could
no binders, no salt worries-----just order and eat
my order:Louisiana Seafood Gumbo ( with okra)  - big bowl
hush puppies/ hot sauce -- the green tomato kind
crab claws with red sauce
a gallon of unsweetened ice tea - extra cold
12 ounces of very chilly beer ---- any kind, I don't know the difference ---oh, hell, go ahead make it 16 ounces
fresh strawberries and fresh peaches  for dessert (very cold)

then a small rootbeer float from Sonic on the way home

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

They have something here called A Dinner A'Fare or something like that, which is similar to what Rerun went to. I've been curious about it, since I commute 45-60 minutes each way everyday. Rerun, have you been back?

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »