I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6040 times)
pelagia
Elite Member

« on: April 06, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

My name is Linda and my husband has been on dialysis since his double nephrectomy on March 20th.  He inherited PKD and has had signs of the disease since he was about 25.  That was a few years after we were married (our 29th wedding anniversary starts at midnight).  He is scheduled to have a kidney transplant on May 14th due to the generous spirit of my sister's husband.  I am trying to help my husband heal from the first surgery and get as healthy as possible before the transplant.  This forum has been a blessing.  I found it by accident late one night when I was feeling down about how little I had anticipated how he would feel after the surgery and how much the dialysis would take out of him.  I have spent most of my time here reading about the importance of protein, controlling phosphorus and what the numbers mean for blood work, machines, etc..  For the last two sessions he's had a protein shake in the car on the way home from dialysis based on what I read in one of the forums (thanks Zach!).  It seems to be helping.  I look forward to learning more from the experiences of this community.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »

Welcome to ihatedialysis.com pelagia,

I'm glad you found us also and I'm even more glad that you have gained some helpful knowledge. That is the reason we are here. Feel free to post often and ask questions.

Sluff/Admin
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:43:18 PM »

:welcomesign; Linda

I do the protein shakes (Nepro) after dialysis and it really helps. I hope the transplant goes well.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:01 PM »

Welcome Pelagia
Your husband is so lucky to have your support.  I know because my husband is very supportive of me and I often think that it is sometimes easier to be me than him, weird as that may sound. My brother's wife has also offered me a kidney but we don't know yet if hers will be the one  I eventually get.  My husband too is offering me one, as is a cousin and two aunts.  We're just beginning the testing process though and they want me on dialysis for about 6 months first.  Good luck to all of you.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 04:03:55 AM »

Welcome to IHD caregivers are an important part of this forum please feel free to speak your mind...

Boxman,Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »

Hi and  :welcomesign; this is a great place with lovely people.
NolaGail

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:36 AM »

:welcomesign; Pelagia--

Glad to see you here.  I have one thing to say, "Living donors are angels from heaven!"  :bow;

Hope all goes well with the upcoming surgery and recovery.

NolaGail

In His no-slip grip!

Living donor has one more test to go (4-14-2008).  Her left kidney could be mine in a few months.  No surgery date yet.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »

:welcomesign; Pelegia to the IHD Family!
Prayers and best wishes for a kidney transplant for your husband that
last a real long time.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »

:welcomesign; aboard from :ausflag;

hope  all  goes  well  for  the  transplant :2thumbsup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Phillip_20

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

:welcomesign;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 03:24:15 AM »

:welcomesign; pelagia. There are a few caregivers on IHD. Your husband is lucky to have you and have him join too. We are a great group and full of information. Keep us posted on the transplant from that angel donor. Take care.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
annabanana

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:41:03 AM »

:welcomesign;   I, too, am a caregiver to my husband. This site is wonderful!

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 07:24:19 AM »

Welcome to our community!  As I have had the chance to say many times, I am always gratified when someone joins IHD because of their concern for a loved one.  And I am even more gratified that you can testify that IHD has been helpful to you.  That is what this site exists for - frank, honest sharing; helpful information; a place to vent, rant, rage when you need to; virtual shoulders to lean on; fun, fun, fun.  Keep reading and keep posting.   :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Slywalker

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »

:welcomesign;  Pelagia  - Chalk me up as also wishing and hoping and wishing and hoping that all goes well between now and the transplant - and, of course, for the transplant surgery.

Lots of supporters for you here.

Sandyb

:bunny:
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »

Welcome, Linda, and I sure do hope the transplant goes well! 
There's a great group of caregivers here, they're just wonderful, so you'll find support from them,
as well as us others, patients, transplaters, family, etc.!  We have a huge and varied family here,
you will find support and help on whatever you may need!

:basket: :basket: :cuddle;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »

Thank you all for your welcoming notes and words of support.  My husband is not having a good day today after a week of feeling a little better everyday.  We went out last night to celebrate our anniversary and I think it took a lot out of him.  And then he did not sleep well last night and today he had dialysis.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day...

I will do a better job with my profile as soon as things settle down a little more in our house.

Cheers,
Linda
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:04:22 PM by pelagia » Logged

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
oleboy

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »

'hold fast your dreams for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that connot fly.'
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »

Welcome.  Caregivers are a welcome sight here.  They give a different perspective on this ESRD disease and dialysis.

Kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:24:17 AM »

I read a bunch of other intros yesterday and realized that I didn't tell much about myself or my husband when I first joined. 

I married into a PKD family almost 30 years ago, but we didn't know it at the time.  Turns out that my father-in-law had PKD.  My husband discovered he had high blood pressure a few years after we married and his mom told him about PKD running in his Dad's family. 

A few years later my father-in-law lost kidney function, went on hemodialysis and them home hemo.  He had a kidney transplant, which lasted 7 years until he passed away from a heart attack in 1993.  My husband and I were still pretty young at that point, in our mid 30s, and living 100s of miles away.  The realities of dialysis and transplantation were not a part of our everyday lives. 

Looking back at this point, I would have to say that we have had pretty great lives overall.  The effects of PKD did not slow my husband down much until his kidney function dropped below 20%, about the time he turned 50. He tired more easily and had more difficulty controlling his blood pressure. He plays acoustic guitar for a living and has travelled all around the world performing at everything from house concerts to shows in small concert halls to large music festivals.  All that traveling and performing can be tiring and take its toll.  I am a scientist with advanced degrees in marine science.  I teach and do research at a major state university in Virginia.  

After my husband's nephrectomies, he went on dialysis and that was a big shock to our existence.  I came to IHD for information and found first-hand accounts, advice and links to information that really helped.  However, over time I was drawn to the community as much by the people as the information.  You at the other end of this forum understand what kidney disease is all about and many of you have had experiences that are I will never be able to fully imagine.  You are a source of experience, wisdom, humor and advice.  I continue to read and to learn about the people who are this site.  I am in awe of a fellow called "Epoman" who had a dream and made it happen.

Now Stephen has a transplant.  What can I contribute to this forum? Hopefully a little perspective that is useful for others. I have two brother-in-laws with PKD and an unknown number of nephews and nieces, as well as my own son who might have PKD.  I know there are many others out there who are looking at uncertain futures because of PKD (and other kidney diseases).  I also need to stay informed and will do that by learning from the experiences of others and the information posted here. 

Thanks for letting me be part of this forum!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:27:16 AM by pelagia » Logged

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 09:41:33 AM »

Thank YOU for being part of this forum! :cuddle;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »

I second Donnia's post, Linda, and I'm sure we all here feel the same.  Thanks for telling us more about both you and Stephen as it's really nice to know people in other dimensions than just their CKD.  I love hearing about Stephen's positive outlook as keeping that perspective is also my way of keeping sane and negativity just sucks the life out of me.

I'm so glad you found IHD and decided to stick around. :cuddle;
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:15:54 AM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »

Today is my one year anniversary as an IHD member. 

Thank you all for everything - the information, the humor, the wisdom, the friendship, the wise cracks, the reality checks, the jokes, the support, the music and the smileys. 

I love my IHD family  :guitar:

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »

pelagia  :cuddle; Thank You.  :beer1;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »

Hi there, happy to have you

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »