I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Fresenius Medical Center
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fresenius Medical Center  (Read 25519 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »

We have some more cable stations as of tonight through direct TV . Need more, but some favs are there now!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

We have some more cable stations as of tonight through direct TV . Need more, but some favs are there now!

There are only so many stations that you are going to be able to get at one time without getting rid of others because of the way the system has to work.  Each of those cable channels you have has it's own dedicated box in the back that only picks up that station.  To get new channels you have to get rid of an existing channel.  The only alternative would be to have a box for each station and the storage space and price of the monthly fees keeps that from happening.  The clinic should print up a list of all the channels available and distribute them to the patients with a survey.  Then the channels with the most votes would be the ones programmed in.

It's not easy being green.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »

I got told the other day, when the tech I usually have noticed I had been running for two hours on a 3 bath instead of a 1 bath, that I should be watching for these things.  Huh?  WTF? I am supposed to be doing their job for them?  I told them I was not paid to be there and was not on the staff. The tech then told me I should be watching these things because it was my health in the clinic.  I told her I was not being paid the Big Bucks to work in there and was unaware I had to watch them like a hawk. I was less than impressed with her.  She treated me like I did not know anything about my care the entire day I was there.  Hello! Been doing this for nine years.  Get a life techie! Floaters!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
draven

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 11:47:22 AM »

Our Center Has 2 TV's but they only play one channel. usually infomercials!!! But that doesnot really matter since the TV is to far away and you cant hear whats going on the TV. and nurses just switch it off while you are watching it or come up with a story that its broken when its not and it stays off for the rest of the day.

I do bring a laptop but batteries only last 2 hours. no place to plug it in. i also have wireless on the laptop but unit has no internet connection for patients. i mentioned the unit getting wireless and got laughed at.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

I think I would be looking for a new center. New ones are popping up every day and there is actually getting to be competition for patients,  especially ones with private insurance.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »

Draven lives in South Africa.  Whole different ball game.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 06:02:54 PM »

Oops, I remember now. That's where you're lucky to even get into a dialysis center. I've got plenty of room here, Draven if you want to move.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
draven

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 10:36:17 PM »

Hi Flip

Once i have the transplant i am seriously consedring moving out the country. things have really gone down hill here.

There are 3 units in my part of the country. my unit is the closest to me. and on the bright side the food is pretty good
and staff is friendly.

the other unit which is farther away offers you your own TV at your chair. But there is a waiting list to join that unit.

I told my family if i win the Lottery here, i will open my own dialysis unit here in South Africa.
Wallyz

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »

They are also advertising for Dialysis Technicians "No Experience Necessary, Will Train"

Ahh- combining truth and optimism.
wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

I do nocturnal at a Fresenius center in Georgetown, Delaware.  Got my own tv with extended cable.I like the tech and the nurse and have talked to them about being on-call when I start work again.  I will be able to answer a phone and work on a laptop.   :bandance;

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »

The reason Dialysis centers are popping up all over the place is because each and every one of us who is a patient, is a cash cow.

You can make a helluva lot more money treating rather than curing.

This would explain why UCSF only performs 300 transplants a year while over 4500 are waiting for kidneys.

It's a ruse, a scam, a charlatan's game.

Just follow the money & the lobbyists in Washington.

P.S...I have a Phillips DVD player that has never let me down.  I only recharge it every other treatment because the battery lasts 6 hours.  And I have a Netflix account.  We only have eight channels (and half of them are Spanish) and they're all channels that our older patients chose.  Ugh.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »

We have limited channels too at the Davita center I am at, but more than were at Fresenius.  God help us, just pay for satellite or cable already!

lifenotonthelist.com

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

We used to have just 2 tvs in the unit, with very limited cable, but you could see  CNN, ABC, Fox, etc.  then the Rotary club had personal tv monitors with moveable arms installed by every chair.  But NO CABLE!!  The only channels you can see now are TV Guide, Trinity Broadcasting, and the Catholic channel!
For all the other channels you only get sound, but the video is scrambled because no one has paid for cable. 
So I listen to CNN and Fox.  All through the interesting times with the election,that was all I could do.
They don't like when I bring my laptop as one nurse complains that it makes me use  my arm too much!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

Our clinic in Northern California has Direct TV, but they signed up for the cheapest package possible so we only get ten channels and three of those are Spanish.

The other issue is when they installed the TV's on the ceiling, they thought it was an eight foot ceiling.  Turned out after they were installed, it was twelve feet.  So to watch any TV for a prolonged period of time gives you a terrible pain in your neck from craning to watch.

That's why I have my portable DVD player.  I can drown out all the idiot patients who love to prattle on AT FULL VOLUME ABOUT NOTHING IN PARTICULAR.

Thank goodness for NetFlix, my personal Dialysis savior.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »

I actually sat down and read the patients guide book that my fresenius unit gave out.  We're not supposed to bring any electrical equipment such as lap tops, dvd players or CELL PHONES because they could interfere with the dialysis machines.  What the..... I just ignored the information as if I had never read it.  The techs have computers at their sations!  So far I continue to bring my phone, my dvd player and sometimes my daughters Nintendo DS game.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
onyxtiger

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »

I actually sat down and read the patients guide book that my fresenius unit gave out.  We're not supposed to bring any electrical equipment such as lap tops, dvd players or CELL PHONES because they could interfere with the dialysis machines.  What the..... I just ignored the information as if I had never read it.  The techs have computers at their sations!  So far I continue to bring my phone, my dvd player and sometimes my daughters Nintendo DS game.

That must be an old guidebook.  There was some concern with cell phones affecting dialysis electronics a couple of years ago at Fresenius.  But that fear was laid to rest and as far as I know, there is no restriction on cell phones, dvd players or laptops at Fresenius clinics. 

Our clinic in Northern California has Direct TV, but they signed up for the cheapest package possible so we only get ten channels and three of those are Spanish.

What clinic in Northern California is that?  The 3 clinics I work at all have 60 plus channels.  Although I don't really consider Bay Area as Northern California.   

Age & treachery will always beat youth & skill
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 11:03:10 PM »

Is Fresenius only for Kaiser patients?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »

Is Fresenius only for Kaiser patients?

Nope. Jean, Fresenius is a national chain that anyone can go to as long as they have the room. Think of them as being like Mc Donalds as in the have many center across the country.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012