I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Symptoms?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Symptoms?  (Read 11275 times)
Phillip_20

« on: March 25, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but I was wondering if anyone knew that the symptoms of diabetes? It runs rampant on my mom's side of my family, and so I'm at very high risk for it as well... so I was hoping that there were some symptoms of it so I could tell if I have it without getting tests done
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »

No questions are ever considered stupid on IHD  :).  I've no experience of diabetes but suggest you check out this site http://diabetes.about.com/od/symptomsdiagnosis/p/Symptoms.htm Hope it helps.
Phillip_20

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »

Thanks! Much appreciated  :)
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »

Excessive thirst, constant peeing, tiredness, high blood pressure, blurred vision are some of the symptoms but the easiest is a simple blood test get it done for your own good...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Phillip_20

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »

Well, I have HBP and tiredness, but I don't think I have it yet. I was just wondering what the symptoms are so I know what to look for. I've had HBP since my early to mid teens (I forget exactly when I got it), but it seems to be under control currently, so I'll see what happens there. As for the tiredness thing, I think it could be a sleep disorder, but I don't know for sure.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »

Anyone you are close to with diabetes should have a blood sugar tester.  Have them check your blood sugar some morning before you have breakfast.  A fasting blood sugar for a healthy adult should run about 80 to 130.  If your sugar is significantly higher than that, you should get it checked out with a doctor.  I check my sister's and nephew's blood sugar every time they drive upstate to visit.  It only takes a minute, and it relieves my sister's chronic worry that both of them are at risk because of my family history.  She does still have regular checkups, of course, but it's a quick way to double check between those once a year appointments.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Phillip_20

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »

I remember once that while my mom was alive, she was doing her blood sugar testing one night... and I wanted her to do one for me just b/c I was curious as to what mine was. So, she did it, and it was 92 as I recall; but that was a few years ago, back in 2003 as I recall
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »