I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Recipe's
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recipe's  (Read 4563 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« on: July 01, 2006, 12:01:18 AM »

What is it with me and food huh?  lol,  sorry guys,  i just find it fascinating how different we all are when it comes to variety.   Now that 4th of July is here and Summer of course,  are there any good recipes anyone would like to share?  I have one for Salsa,  Do you do anything special to your ribs?  burgers?  i boil my hot dogs before i cook them,  any little ol' thing you might do at a barbcue or even in the house,  like some homemade lemonade or something,  i love to cook and try new things,  even though i know i cant eat half the stuff i make (shhhhhh, i do)  but of course in moderation,  but i love to see other people enjoy food too.  So if you have any special sauces or anything you'd like to share (magic potion)  Please do.....Cant wait to hear from you...

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 12:41:12 AM »

Chicken stick kebabs

2 large chicken breasts
1 onion (optional)
1 cup Soy sauce
2 tsp Sesame oil
2-3 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp ginger
Wooden skewers

In a large bowl, combine soy, sesame and garlic. Cut chicken into strips and add to the marinade.
Stir well, cover with glad wrap and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. If you are bothered by the odour of garlic, place a
¼ cup bicarb soda in a small open container in the fridge.
Soak skewers in water for 20 mins. Cut the onion into 8 pieces, so you have little squares. Thread
the chicken onto the skewers, skewing each strip of chicken several times. It goes on a bit like
a fan. Or, you could just dice the chicken. I just find the strips cook a bit better and it looks nice.
 Skewer on the onion however you like. Capsicum or zucchini would be nice too. Cook on the BBQ/grill/pan until firm
and cooked through.

Spinach Cobb Dip

We make this for any occassion as it is so morish and so addictive!!! You rarely have any leftovers :) I always get comments on it and even the kids like it!  Funnily enough, frozen spinach seems to work better than fresh. The spinach looks awful, but beleive me you wont even know its in there. If you are using fresh then you need to slice it very finely and wilt it in some boiling water and drain really well. 

1 pkt frozen spinach, thawed (about 1 cup of frozen spinach after squeezed)
1 carton light sour cream
1 pack light philly
2 or more cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 packet french onion soup mix, add more to taste if needed
1 cobb loaf

Slice the top off the cobb and hollow out the middle. Place the cobb and the middle peices of bread on a baking tray and bake in the oven until crisp. You could also cut up some french bread too toast as there never seems to be enough cobb. Place the spinach into a colander and squeeze the heck out of it. Set aside. In a bowl beat the sour cream and philly with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in the garlic, and soup mix. Pour this into the hollowed out cobb and serve with the crusty bread pieces and if you like some carrot and celery sticks.

Kebabs (Makes 4-6)

Ingredients:

4 Turkish/lebonese bread
4 heaped Tablespoons low fat natural yoghurt
2 teaspoons crushed garlic (jar stuff is fine)
good squeeze of lemon juice
2 large Chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1 Tbsp Roast chicken or fajita seasoning (this is in the spice section of supermarket or use your own combination)
2 large red onions, sliced
Sliced tomato
Shredded lettuce

To prepare sauce combine the yoghurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Mix really well.
Set aside, in the fridge if its hot weather. In a small bowl combine chicken and seasoning. Add more seasoning if you think it needs it. Cook the chicken in a little butter or cooking spray until browned. Set aside. Place one leb bread on a
big plate and spread with yoghurt sauce. In the middle, top with chicken, then onion, tomato, and lettuce. Fold the bottom up and then roll as
you do with burritos or the like. Place in the sandwhich press if you have one for
about 5 minutes. Other fillings that are nice are hummus (easy to make yourself and nicer), tabouli, grated cheese etc.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 06:27:46 AM »

i love serving: 

Philly cream cheese (8 oz. pkg)
pace picante
baby shrimp from a can
with club crackers

just put the cream cheese on a plate, top with the salsa and then top with the shrimp,  it is a nice cool treat

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 09:46:37 AM »

What is Cobb bread?  Pardon my ignorance.

Mad Meatloaf

1lb hamburger meat thawed
1 small onion
1c. quick cook oatmeal
1 egg.
1 tbsp. mustard
1 tbsp or less Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
Ketchup
BBQ sauce

Combine all together into a bowl.  Mix well.  Add ketchup and BBQ sauce to your taste.
Add the spices you like.  I usually put in garlic, a little salt, pepper. Anything that looks like it might look good goes in in from the spice cabinet.  Put ketchup and BBQ sauce on top.
Put into an oven proof casserole dish or meatloaf pan. Bake at 350 for a between 45 minutes to an hour.

I call it Mad Meatloaf because anything can go in it.  Sometimes I substitute smashed cereal, Chex or corn flakes for the oatmeal. 

I only cook easy stuff.  Everyone likes  my meatloaf.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »

What is Cobb bread?  Pardon my ignorance.

Mad Meatloaf

1lb hamburger meat thawed
1 small onion
1c. quick cook oatmeal
1 egg.
1 tbsp. mustard
1 tbsp or less Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
Ketchup
BBQ sauce

Combine all together into a bowl.  Mix well.  Add ketchup and BBQ sauce to your taste.
Add the spices you like.  I usually put in garlic, a little salt, pepper. Anything that looks like it might look good goes in in from the spice cabinet.  Put ketchup and BBQ sauce on top.
Put into an oven proof casserole dish or meatloaf pan. Bake at 350 for a between 45 minutes to an hour.

I call it Mad Meatloaf because anything can go in it.  Sometimes I substitute smashed cereal, Chex or corn flakes for the oatmeal. 

I only cook easy stuff.  Everyone likes  my meatloaf.

Try saltines (crackers) that works good to.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 09:16:52 PM »

Easy Guacamole

(all ingredients are flexible in amounts.  adjust to your taste)

Ripe avocadoes
1 or 2 roma tomatoes, diced
Lime juice
Salt and pepper
Sour cream

Served with lime flavor tortilla chips, this is my ultimate treat. 

Yummy Mushroom Topping for Burgers

Saute chopped Vidalia onion in butter until almost transparent
Add in sliced fresh mushrooms - white or portobello - and cook until tender
Add pepper and a little salt to taste
Add a splash of balsamic vinegar

Pile on top of burgers and they are great with melted provolone cheese on top.  I can eat this stuff by itself!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 09:37:07 PM »

1 or 2 crushed weetbix into meatloaf mixture goes well too.
Cobb bread is a large round loaf of bread. Basically like a massive bread roll. Most bakeries should have them.
This is one cut up http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/782382/2/istockphoto_782382_fresh_bread.jpg
Sorry thats the best I could find.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 10:15:18 PM »

That is kind of what I figured it would be, but you never know.

Be careful with the avocado in the guacamole, big in phosphorous,  I know Nag, nag, nag!

I got yelled at adding guacamole to a dinner I had with me once.

Banana and Miracle Whip Sandwich
2pcs. bread
1 banana sliced thin
Miracle whip

Place Miracle Whip on both slices of bread.  Place banana on miracle whip. Put sandwich slices together.  Eat, MMMMMMMM.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »

Susie's Salsa

1 cilantro (finely chopped)
3 Roma Tomatoes (diced)
5 jalapenos (minced)
1 Red Onion (chopped)
4 avocados (chopped)
4 lemons (juice only) 
1 large can Herdez Salsa Casera
couple of shakes of salt
couple of shakes of garlic powder

chop, mince and dice as instructed, mix all together and GO TO TOWN, yummmmmmmm,  with tortilla chips of course
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 06:02:07 AM by goofynina » Logged

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 12:29:17 AM »

Chicken Breast Spaghetti

4 frozen chicken breasts- thawed.
1 can/jar spaghetti sauce
spaghetti
spices- pepper, salt, onion,garlic
Olive oil

Spice the chicken any way you prefer.
Put 1 tbsp olive oil into frying pan. Fry chicken gently on both sides until brown.
Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken.  Cook till tender.
Make spaghetti in pot like you normally do.
Drain.  Add a little butter to keep spaghetti from sticking.
Serve chicken and sauce over spaghetti.

I TOLD you I only do easy dishes!

Katherine.

lifenotonthelist.com

Panda_9

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 04:39:53 AM »

MMMMMMmmmm yum I have been having avocado and tomato salsa a bit lately. I tried a bit of lime juice and paprika in mine, yum! Avocado is very high in potassium too. I think 1/8 of an avo is 5mmol which is one serve, so it is very naughty!!! I love chicken spaghetti too. Ill post my recipe tommorow, have to go set up machine.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 06:59:05 AM »

Here is a good one for camping or on the grill.

1 large eggplant
1 sweet onion
1 small/medium yellow squash
Portabello mushroom caps
shredded mozzarella cheese

Cut the eggplant in 2 and scoop out the center to make a bowl.  DO NOT throw away the center.
Finely chop the onion, squash, mushroom caps, and eggplant scoopings.
Mix the choppings together with the shredded mozzarella cheese and refill the eggplant bowl.
Wrap the eggplant bowls in tin foil and place them directly on the coals or your campfire or grill.
Let it cooks for a 5 - 10 min. depending on how hot your coals are.
Remove the eggplant bowls from the coals with tongs, let them cool off, and eat.

You can do this on your stove easy enough, but you have the ability to do so while camping I suggest sauteing the onions after chopping them.  It adds a flavor you miss out on otherwise. 

It's not easy being green.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »